I am about to purchase my first BIG MAC - but still need XP - Have no idea?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Luvlimum, May 16, 2008.

1. Luvlimum macrumors newbie

Luvlimum

Hi everyone,

My FIRST post. I am on a fact finding mission. I have decided to go over the the dark side. After being a comitted and loyal PC user for all of my adult life, I now want a MAC!! I am so excited and about to make the purchase - BUT ..... just need to cover a few bases first.

I design relational Databases in Access. This accounts for about 70% of my work. I use Access 2003 and have just purchased Office 2007 today to ensure I am up-to-date with the latest. I am also qualified to teach WORD and EXCEL to an intermediate level. I don't do much of that these days, but still work with these programs for my clients.

I am considering purchasing an Apple iMac 20" Desktop, Intel Core 2 Duo processor 2.66GHz.

I am also into Photography and making multi-media "This is your life" type presentations for special occasions. The Mac comes fully loaded with programs which are perfect for my hobby stuff. Besides that, a Mac is sexy, stylish and just downright GORGEOUS!!! and I want one!!

NOW .... I have to run XP on this Mac AND I need to run BOTH versions of Office (2003 and 2007). I am looking at purchasing parallels to accomplish this, although I may not require running both systems at the same time a lot of the time.

Is this possible? Anyone else got this set up? Am I asking too much? Is it worth purchasing MacOffice as well???

I am supposed to give this PC to my mum when I have my mac, but am now wondering if I should keep this to run XP with MS Office 2003 and just run Office 2007 on the MAC?

I am also really nervous about the whole purchase which will take every cent of my savings when I have no experience with Mac whatsoever.

Your thoughts and advice will be greatly appreciated, and if any of you live in Melbourne, Australia and might not mind discussing further over a coffee (my shout) - even better!

Kind Regards
    Luvli

2. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Remember bootcamp is free but you have to reboot.

As for Parallels, they allow you a one month trial so i'd try it before you buy. Also i'd have a look at fusion. A lot of people are recommending that over Parallels at the moment. I use parallels now but only because i'm too lazy to move over to fusion :)

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Surely, you're coming from the dark side? :confused:

the iMac will be fine, just bump up the RAM after you're purchase (not from Apple). oh, and buy Fusion not Parallels.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You can do what you want to do very easily.

I'd say your best bet is to use VMware Fusion or Parallels with Windows XP and your choice of Office Suite(s) installed.

If you went with VMware there is a feature called Unity (Parallels has something similar, but I am only familiar with VMware). It allows you to use your Windows applications seamlessly alongside OS X apps, which you might like as you don't feel restrained in your virtual machine window when you're using them.

Here's an example of Windows apps running with VMware Unity.

http://up.*************/files/1/Images/Screen%20Captures/OSX_WindowsXPEdit_thumb.png

If you go this route just make sure you load up your iMac with RAM. Go to the full 4GB, it's not very expensive these days and with running VM's you'll be glad you have it.

5. Luvlimum thread starter macrumors newbie

Luvlimum

Unbelievably quick responses! Thanks so much! Oh, and you are right ... I am coming over FROM the dark side .... :D

My Mac comes with 2GB memory, but will jack it up to 4. um.... errr.... how do I do that if not from Apple? Can't I just tell them to put more in there and pay for it?

I am really good at using Office Software, designing beautiful databases, tweaking photos in photoshop and making birthday presentations which will make you cry, but anything outside of that almost causes me to have a seizure! This is very scary for me. I'm stepping way out of my comfort zone now.

Lxx

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You can easily upgrade the RAM yourself. Crucial.com have a memory selector which guarantees the memory you order will fit your machine. If this phases you though you can just get Apple to do it for you at point of ordering. Their memory prices aren't as stupidly over priced as they used to be, so if the idea of fitting it yourself daunts you then just having them upgrade it isn't so bad.

7. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

One thing to remember if you're teaching Excel and Word that the Mac Office 2008 version is quite different to the PC version (it's taking me quite a while to get used to it). So if your students will be using the PC version stick with it.
    Alan

8. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

I also suggest VMWare Fusion and not Parallels.