I am absolutely giddy with excitement thinking of Johnny designing iOS.

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Funkymonk, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

Giddy like a school girl I tell you.

I think around this time next year iOS 7 will release. They might even name it something else. iOS Mac maybe?

All I know is that it's going to be a huge change. Johnny hates forstalls work. They fought over it and forstall had to finally leave.

Mobile software OS designed by Johnny. Man, it will be good. #

2. Aldaris macrumors 68000

Aldaris

I was just thinking to myself...

How must Jony feel, crafting these devices out of aluminum and glass, using cutting edge technologies like cold fusion welding, unibody technology, and the like... only to have a punk in a stitched out shirt say, hey I love the leather wallet my boy made at summer camp, lets use that for an interface...

I'm sure it kills him to have something so slick, to be splashed on with faux leather stitching, and grandmas calendar edging...

Think of sleek on sleek, lightning on ice.

3. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

You know what looked nice? Windows Phone 7 running on the iPhone. The beauty of the iPhone hardware coupled with the beautiful typography interface of Windows phone. Hope future versions of iOS look as nice as Windows Phone.

4. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

This is the first thing I have heard from Apple that actually got me excited. He's gonna do a great job. Think of his much more uniform the interface will be. Get rid of all that stupid leather and cloth, add something sleek.

I see a nice future for iOS. They really need to make a >4.7" phone though, then and only then will I come back

5. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

ewww

there's a reason they went to 4" instead of copying phablets :apple:

6. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

Agreed.

When I saw the new iPhone, I thought, "Why they hell do they make it taller and not wider?"

Then it dawned on me - you can still use it in one hand, with the bigger screen, being taller and not wider.

Back on topic though - I look forward to John Ive's take on iOS UI design.

7. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

I couldn't care less about the design. I'm just hopeful that everything will actually work as promised and possibly even match.

It's embarrassing how even Apple's own apps often don't match one another or the OS and it is downright pathetic how, after using it as a key feature on 2 iPhone launches, Siri is still labeled as beta. Add in the Maps fiasco and various other issues and bugs, and I'm giddy with excitement thinking about anyone else being in charge of iOS.

8. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

9. Akarin macrumors 6502

Akarin

So, they get rid of a guy who is at the origin of iOS (and not only from a design perspective), whose knowledge dates back from NEXT and was at the head of the best mobile OS development...

...to replace him with a guy who, for visual design's sake, just recently gave us thinner desktops (who cares? It goes on a desk) with crappy GPU and mostly laptop components?

I don't think that "ruling by killing the opposition" is the best way and, even
    though I want to see the result of Ive designing an OS, I'm not yet ultra confident in the result.

10. EnderTW macrumors 6502

Agreed. Forestall was a punk but he knew his stuff. It's going to be very interesting. I have an optimistic look, I think the engineers will be able to do what Ive wants and we'll see a more coherent design. Ive has to be excited as hell to do this.

11. zbarvian macrumors 68010

I don't think people really understand Ive or Forstall's position completely. As the guy before me said, Forestall was in charge of so much more than design; he basically oversaw all of iOS development (visual design was just a fraction of that). Ive is a conceptual person, not a technical person, and he won't be pushing pixels behind a computer all day. No, he'll have a vision for the appearance of iOS, and he'll approve mockups made by the actual designers. The functionality and other aspects of the OS will be handed off to the OS X guy, among others. Personally, I like the new strategy.

12. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

was ive responsible for the internals? i don't think so

13. Lampmeister macrumors member

Right-on, Bro. I practically had to change my diaper when I heard the news!

14. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

Windows Phone 8 running on iPhone 5 would be even nicer ;)

[​IMG]

15. Appleseeds macrumors regular

Ugh. Yuck no thanks.

16. Razeus macrumors 603

iOS needs a change in UI. Forstalls skeumorphs where ugly. I think Jony Ive will see more viable options that fit with the iPhone/iPad in terms of UI. I look forward to this. Unfortunately, Apple needs to do more at this point. iOS 6 was lackluster. Siri STILL isn't prime time, Maps we all know about (it works fine for me though), and iOS in general needs more customization options. Hopefully Ive will let us do this.

17. NedBookPro macrumors 6502

Well said. Design to me is important, but only second to proper basic functionality. There's no point in having a beautiful phone when mail got broken with iOS6 upgrade.

Apple???

18. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Now get rid of those reflections on the app icon!

19. Akarin macrumors 6502

Akarin

And having to code apps using WinRT and WinJS? HELL NO!

20. tann macrumors 68000

Will changes come with iOS 7 or 8?

Do we think that iOS 7 will be radically different? Assuming that all of this change around in the Apple execs has only happened now they may not be starting to change until now as well, obviously they can rush to change stuff a lot but assuming they unveil iOS 7 at WWDC in 8 months they might not change it drastically yet.

I would like to see some bigger, UI changes for sure though. Especially on the homescreen, the grid just seems lazy!

Can't wait to see what happens though!! Really excited again!

21. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

I think the thing we try to say is that the whole UI of iOS needs to be refreshed. Sure, it works as it is now, but it's starting to get a little "boring" and not so elegant.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Jony and his team will come up with.

----------

I think it will come with iOS 7. Apple really have to step up with this release, as Android is getting better and better. This is a version that _can't_ afford to fail.

22. zbarvian macrumors 68010

You mean the gloss? I'm a full proponent for the system-wide removal of gloss. They removed a bit with iOS 6, but too much remains.

Also, I like the inconsistency of the app designs. It's necessary in my opinion. Without it, the apps wouldn't have personality, and it would be dreadfully monotonous. Look at PassBook or Reminders, they are a pleasant departure from the normal aesthetic of the OS.

23. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

They could each look completely different but still follow a common theme of styling... something vehicle manufacturers excel at.

Besides, I'm not sure how one could look at the inconsistencies of the status bar (colored in some apps, black in many others) as a good thing. It shows a lack of unification at Apple and makes the iPhone feel more like a Frankenstein creation with parts thrown together.

24. zbarvian macrumors 68010

I don't like the status bar either, that's now what I was referring to.

25. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Federighi is taking over iOS from a software engineering perspective. Ive has "human interface" across the company. Not sure exactly how it will all work from an accountability standpoint.