Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sellitman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
CT
Yes it is a HUGE upgrade, but we all will get it for free.

Did the economy pick up all of a sudden?

What's the rush?

I don't get it? :confused:

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Well you are on a mac fan forum, chances are people will be desperate to try out what they've been waiting so long for.

On the flip side, you also hear about the people who think that $9.95 for the Touch update is a rip too.

EDIT: the OP is talking about people signing up for the $99 dev account right?

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
How are people paying now when it comes out in a couple months?

sellitman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
CT
Well you are on a mac fan forum, chances are people will be desperate to try out what they've been waiting so long for.

On the flip side, you also hear about the people who think that $9.95 for the Touch update is a rip too.

EDIT: the OP is talking about people signing up for the $99 dev account right?

Yes...I'm talking about the $99 Dev Fee

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
btw, your sig applies here :p.

You'd be surprised at the number of instances in which it applies. :rolleyes:

I find it pathetic that people are paying $100 just to get a beta of 3.0.

It's sad. Truly, truly sad. I'll just wait three months and get it for free like the rest of the world.

Oh, and is there an update to the SDK? I have it, but is the SDK update currently free? I'm a registered developer (not a specialized iPhone account, though), if that factors in.

How are people paying now when it comes out in a couple months?

How? There's a developer preview. We ALWAYS get things early. I've been using Safari 4 since before August.

sellitman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
CT
You'd be surprised at the number of instances in which it applies. :rolleyes:

I find it pathetic that people are paying $100 just to get a beta of 3.0.

It's sad. Truly, truly sad. I'll just wait three months and get it for free like the rest of the world.

Oh, and is there an update to the SDK? I have it, but is the SDK update currently free? I'm a registered developer (not a specialized iPhone account, though), if that factors in.

How? There's a developer preview. We ALWAYS get things early. I've been using Safari 4 since before August.

Will this software upgrade work on my Original iphone?

Oliver.m

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2009
Essex, England
It is a bit crazy paying for the developers program just for the 3.0 update.

Is the fee a one off or is it yearly because if it is a one off then it could be worthwhile in the long run if you can get all the updates early?

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I have the 3.0 SDK (I was previously a developer) and I'm not even installing the 3.0 OS on my iPhone. Beta software is fine if it is a browser or what not, if Safari 4 dies I can shrug and either uninstall it or use Firefox. If I install iPhone OS 3 and find that it crashes on certain apps (it does) or doesn't work with some of my accessories (from what I can tell that is a common problem) then I'm screwed until they release the next beta. No thanks! I can wait until June. Besides, I can play with some of the features (like spotlight and copy/paste) on my simulator.

Macjames

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
Yorkshire, England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I loving the 'omg 3.0 bricked my phone' threads. HaHa very amusing!

kdarling

macrumors P6
Heh. It's actions like this which inflate Apple's meaningless "800,000 SDK downloads" figure.

That number probably includes every update, every re-download attempt during a high-traffic time, and every non-developer who got it thinking they could use something from it.

Instead of blowing smoke like that all the time, I'd like to see Apple post the actual number of paid up developers.

Anyone counted how many unique developers have put apps in the store, btw?

Ron21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
You just need someone with a dev account to add your UDID to their account. Each DEV account supports up to 100 iPhones:)

There are a bunch of people on other forums who will add you to their dev account for a $1 donation.

Heh. It's actions like this which inflate Apple's meaningless "800,000 SDK downloads" figure.

That number probably includes every update, every re-download attempt during a high-traffic time, and every non-developer who got it thinking they could use something from it.

Instead of blowing smoke like that all the time, I'd like to see Apple post the actual number of paid up developers.

Anyone counted how many unique developers have put apps in the store, btw?

I think the listing the number of paid developers is the only way to have an accurate representation of how many iPhone developers there are. Counting the unique developers for apps in the store would be a good approximation, however, it would leave out those developers who don't publish apps to store and use them internally.

aluren

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
$100 is not crazy if you can develop apps in time for the launch. if i were a developer, i'd definately pay that amount to see what's new in 3.0. with what, 17 million iphones/ipod touches out there (forgot actual figures), you make a really groundbreakign app taking advantage of the new stuff, i'm sure about a million of them will be sold, making the $100 chump change...

Ride9650

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
$100 is not crazy if you can develop apps in time for the launch. if i were a developer, i'd definately pay that amount to see what's new in 3.0. with what, 17 million iphones/ipod touches out there (forgot actual figures), you make a really groundbreakign app taking advantage of the new stuff, i'm sure about a million of them will be sold, making the $100 chump change...

True, but I think the point of the thread is there are people paying the $100 AREN'T actual developers, they just want the beta.

D-Jam

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2009
Chicago, IL
Eh...I say if you're developing Apps and making money off them, then $100 isn't much.

Look how many designers have to pay for updates to Adobe products. No sooner did we get into CS3 and they pop up with CS4. No free updates.

That's just life.

I also think they are using the $100 as a means to keep iPhone users from running to the dev area looking to get 3.0.

Revelation78

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2008
North Carolina
Obviously those of you that are saying Apple should post the "paid" developer downloads didn't watch the keynote. They said OVER 50,000 paid iPhone developers. Keep in mind that was prior to the release of 3.0 beta; I thought I'd throw the "prior to" part in since the obvious was already missed by some.

Yes the people paying for the developers license to get the 3.0 beta will skew the next set of numbers released, unless Apple takes it in to account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.