I am buying an apple laptop for heavy music making Logic + Pro Tools

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Emmett22, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Emmett22 macrumors newbie

Hello

I was going to buy a MBP before the updates as i need to use it for professional music making, Logic Pro and Pro Tools.
    But now that the line between the MB and MBP is so blurry, i was wondering if i need the more expensive MBP or i can "settle" with the MB.
    I have been reading this forum everyday since August and people keep mentioning graphic designers, photographers and film makers,
    but i was wondering if the same applies to musicians.
    As i have never owned a mac before, i was wondering if any one can share their experience or give advice.

Humbly Yours

JBB

2. tremendous macrumors 6502

tremendous

if you want firewire for an interface to use with logic (although if you're using pro-tools i am unsure why you'd need that AND logic) then the MB is out. no FW.

3. Emmett22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well...

Well the thing is i use Logic Pro because i like the software instruments but i like recording and editing in pro tools and plus its very nice to have when transporting stuff to a studio. I think i am going to buy a digidesign mbox which i think uses usb, but in any case, if we pretend that firewire is not an problem, is there anything else i should be aware of?

(thank for the speedy response btw.)

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Either get the plastic MacBook, old MBP, or new MBP. In fact, I think the old MBP is better because it came with FW400 and FW800. That way you can connect 2 devices at once.

5. Emmett22 thread starter macrumors newbie

So its you opinion it doesn't really matter which one i buy? I am definitely going to buy the new line of macs, it just stands between the aluminum MB and MBP, so if we pretend that firewire is not a factor, is there a difference between the two for recording, editing using programs like Logic Pro and Pro Tools?
    I am sure that the MB is fine running the programs, i am just worried that it wont cut it, for when you have running 16 tracks with loads of effects and software instruments, maybe both programs at the same time, and when snow leopard comes, Logic will be programmed in such a way so it can utilize the GPU, so having a dedicated one would be beneficial.
    I know nobody here can predict the future but for now, is the firewire port the only thing separating those two, is there no discernable advantage for the MBP?

6. tremendous macrumors 6502

tremendous

as long as your firewire device has two FW ports (and i've never seen anything that doesn't) you can still connect more than one. having them both link to the computer is a myth as it's still only one firewire chip that is chaining the devices anyway.

7. tremendous macrumors 6502

tremendous

i currently use a whole bunch of different software including (and not limited to) max/msp, pd, reason, cubase, garageband, plogue bidule and numerous plug-ins on a powerbook 1.33 with usually not too many problems!

these new machines are almost incalculably faster so i imagine you'd not notice a significant difference between the two.

oh and a friend of mine uses an old macbook (the first one that came out) to record bands live with two interfaces and 16 inputs to logic. he has no problems whatsoever.

8. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Based on what you will be doing get the new mbp.

9. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Whatever notebook buy, seriously consider adding an external drive of at least 500Gb in size. You'll want it for backup of your important music files if nothing else, but quite likely you'll also quickly fill up your notebook's drive if you create many songs, and find you'll need to constantly move files around from the laptop's drive to the external to free up space. Keep in mind that even a FW400 external drive is much faster than via USB 2.0 -- usually about twice as fast -- so backups via Firewire will take much less time. If you buy the Pro, seriously consider a FW800 external drive. Backing up over Gigabit ethernet to another machine is yet another option.

Buy the fastest CPU you can -- digital audio doesn't require 3D graphics, so the notebook's video specs isn't really a factor. Consider buying a external monitor of at least 20", otherwise plan to do a lot of scrolling left/right and up/down on the small screen of your notebook. Max out your RAM, esp. if you plan to use a great many software instruments.

USB audio interfaces will work (provided they have OS X drivers that actually work well for the device), but typically with higher CPU overhead than a FW audio device. If you throw enough CPU horsepower at this "problem" it isn't that much of a factor. However, this typically means that with FW you can achieve lower latency w/Firewire vs. USB. Whatever external audio device you plan to use it's well worth your time to search online to see what users are actually reporting about using that device with OSX. There are some devices with serious driver issues, etc.

10. tremendous macrumors 6502

tremendous

oh and if you are looking for a firewire interface i can heartily recommend the MOTU stuff.

11. Emmett22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Right so the cpu is really important, i have to admit i was closer to the MBP so i guess that is the way i will swing, but thanks for the help guys, brilliant, now just to decide if to go for the 2.8 ver.

12. tremendous macrumors 6502

tremendous

cpu is important, but in relation to using a 1.33 powerbook or a new macbook. they'd be more than powerful enough if you decided you didn't need fw.

the notion that a 2.1 ghz macbook wouldn't be fast enough to make and record music is total nonsense.

13. steamed.hams macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

So I shouldn't be worried that I will soon have a 2.4 Ghz last gen MBP (3 MB cache) instead of the 2.5 Ghz last gen MBP (6 MB cache)?...seeing that I will be using it for a lot of protools/logic/ableton recording?

14. tremendous macrumors 6502

tremendous

should i be worried i'm using a powerbook 1.33? ;) (i'm not, btw)

15. steamed.hams macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

I'm glad that works for you! :p

I"m only asking I had a 1.73 Ghz Viao, w/1 MB ram that didn't do to well with recording....

:::waits for people to say "That's cause it was a PC!":::

16. tremendous macrumors 6502

tremendous

well that's because it was a PC.

17. steamed.hams macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

me = megapwn'd

18. Emmett22 thread starter macrumors newbie

But i mean it has to mean something, my sister has an old i think 1 ghz macbook at it can run garageband but not much else, so you must feel a difference between 1,3 ghz and 2,5 ghz dual core, but i see what your saying, music production is luckily not as dependent on hardware as for ex. film editing, but jobs should just make 4 different laptops, one for music, one for film, one for graphic design and one for spoiled bling-bling-wearing-the-hills-watching-reason-why-britney-spears-has-two-hit-singles-after-she-shaved-her-head -bush-voting brat(Z)

19. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Dude, if you're going to be working off an Mbox just go w/ the MacBook and use the saving to BUY the MBox or some other music goodies. The difference between the MB & Pro is soooooooo slim now, the gap is closer than ever before. Without the need for firewire I don't see why you'd go Pro...the MB screams, for the money its value can't be beat.

20. tremendous macrumors 6502

tremendous

no, of course you'd see a difference between a 1.33 PB and a macbook pro.

what i am saying is if it comes down to the newest macbook vs the mbp, you'd probably not notice a massive difference. my opinion, of course!

21. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

No kidding, I've scored films before on a 120mhz Mac.

22. Emmett22 thread starter macrumors newbie

That must have been fun;)

But no i see what you guys are saying and your probably totally right, its just i was set on buying a MBP before the updates and my inner gucci-wearing snob wants a pro, but it makes no sense, of course is should get the cheaper MB and use the savings on other stuff.
    Now its just up to me, myself and mac to come up with the right answer.

I am going to go down to regent street tomorrow and check em out for my self
    (i hope they don't sell the showcase models) but thanks again guys, very helpful.

23. steamed.hams macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

Can anybody comment on the difference between the last gen 2.4 and 2.5 for music production? The latter has double the cache.

:confused:

24. ptjh macrumors regular

From my reading about it in music tech mags there was little benefit in getting the MB pro over the 2.4 for audio.

I'm just wondering whether the 2.8 GHz would be great to have seen as I run plenty of fx and heavy softsynths ect.

25. steamed.hams macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Back on topic, people!!!!!1!!11