Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inertialmacer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2008
Hey folks,

I want to buy a new imac, but I don't want to spend the "apple money" for more ram, HD, etc.

What third party components would work best for upgrading the new imacs, and where is a good tutorial for taking apart the new imacs...?

Also, what is the best option for just buying one?

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
Any memory that meets Apple's specs (800MHz DDR2 SDRAM) and any 3.5" SATA hard drive will work in the new iMac.

Memory is designed to be user-installable, but leave the hard drive to the pros. Trying to install it yourself will void your warranty, and you need industrial-strength suction cups to even get in there.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Any memory that meets Apple's specs (800MHz DDR2 SDRAM) and any 3.5" SATA hard drive will work in the new iMac.

Memory is designed to be user-installable, but leave the hard drive to the pros. Trying to install it yourself will void your warranty, and you need industrial-strength suction cups to even get in there.

The new iMacs use DDR3 1066Mhz SO-DIMMs.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
RAM is really easy to upgrade, but when it comes to the hard drive i strongly recommend paying the extra money because its really difficult and you can mess up your computer. plus lugging a 24" iMac around to have it upgraded is costly and not worth the hassle IMO

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.