Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
I have been saying how the 5s is underwhelming, not worth it, Apple has lost it's spark, etc. but I was WRONG.

I decided to pick up a 32GB space grey 5s on T-Mobile today (with the JUMP program) and I am absolutely LOVING this thing!

I do wish the screen was a bit bigger, but otherwise this phone is a quality product, and the space grey is stunning in person!

Also, I'm a bit obsessed with Touch ID and just how great the camera is compared to my HTC One that I replaced.

skafia

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
SOCAL
This is usually the case with *all* Apple products. I was the first out of all my friends and co-workers to own an iPhone 2G and everybody was bashing on it. As soon as the price dropped, everyone bought one and loved it.

rjkgr

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2013
I have been saying how the 5s is underwhelming, not worth it, Apple has lost it's spark, etc. but I was WRONG.

I decided to pick up a 32GB space grey 5s on T-Mobile today (with the JUMP program) and I am absolutely LOVING this thing!

I do wish the screen was a bit bigger, but otherwise this phone is a quality product, and the space grey is stunning in person!

Also, I'm a bit obsessed with Touch ID and just how great the camera is compared to my HTC One that I replaced.

its okay! i thought i was too! dont feel bad its all good

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
The 5S is nice but not THAT different than my 5 was with iOS 7.

I really like the new OS 7:)

It's definitely NOT much of an upgrade compared to the 5, but for someone on an earlier iPhone, Android, or Windows Phone it's a pretty significant product.

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2013
It's definitely NOT much of an upgrade compared to the 5, but for someone on an earlier iPhone, Android, or Windows Phone it's a pretty significant product.

This phone isn't meant for iPhone 5 owners to begin with, but it's a HUGE jump for anyone else.

P.S. respect for coming on here and admitting your mistake about the 5s!

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2013
Why is that? I was a 5 owner. Now I have a 5s. Did I do something wrong? I checked with Apple and they said it was OK for me to go to a 5s from a 5.

Sure for tech enthusiasts that want the 5s that badly then sure, but for those who just want to pout and troll about "I'm in a 2-year contract with my iPhone 5 so the 5s is a worthless upgrade compared to it!" then it's not for them and they need to shut their mouths.

metzy25

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
Why is that? I was a 5 owner. Now I have a 5s. Did I do something wrong? I checked with Apple and they said it was OK for me to go to a 5s from a 5.

I as well came from a 5, and I feel like its a nice upgrade, especially with the camera.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
the fingerprint scan is nice. but I would not have upgraded if att did not goof and give me a really early upgrade and i could sell my 5 for a profit. I mean I have had more apps not working then on the 5 with 7 on it.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
This phone isn't meant for iPhone 5 owners to begin with, but it's a HUGE jump for anyone else.

P.S. respect for coming on here and admitting your mistake about the 5s!

Hmmm, I wondere why they let me buy one?:p

The OP is talking 5 to 5S.

Not that big of a deal but a darn nice phone.

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
Definitely, a huge jump from the 5 too.

Even the wife who typically is angry that we are upgrading and zero interest in tech cannot believe the difference between the 5 and 5s.

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
I still cannot get over how fast the webpages render.

Camera works great in complete darkness too.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Agree that the 5s is a great phone. The problem with reading technical specs is that you see its just a bunch of incremental upgrades. But once again, the sum is more than the total of the parts. Well done, Apple.

Guy Mancuso

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
I came from the 5 and thought at first to pass on it but I also never used the pass code since it was a hassle. But I did want to protect my data so I thought I should and my son really wanted the touch ID. So we both got them and have to say outside what's written in the specs . It really is a worthy upgrade and I do happen to like the new OS on it. The touch ID can be obsessive. It's fun. LOL

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
Throw some shredded cheese on them, cheese makes everything taste better….

Okay, maybe not jell-o, but you get the point! :)

Glad you're enjoying your new toy!

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
I'd say that it's a safe bet that the majority of the people that are so outspoken against the iPhone are people that have either never touched one, or had an iPhone 3GS/4 and are making claims about the quality of the iPhone 5s. That would be like me saying the Galaxy S4 sucks because i hated my Galaxy S2

Fission

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2013
Could those that feel the 5s is a huge jump from the 5 please explain HOW? Everything I've seen show the 5 hanging in there with the 5s. Even the camera is close...

Either y'all are in your honeymoon stage, or YouTube is wrong...

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I'm a former 5 owner, moved to the 5s and handed down my 5 to my significant other. Gotta say, I'm lucky that she's an more a tech enabler, wanting me to upgrade so she can get my hand-me-downs faster. Most guys seem to have the opposite problem. :)

That said, it's definitely not a night-and-day difference between the 5 and 5s. In fact, I mgiht've been okay with sticking to the 5 another year. I don't notice the 5s being any faster to do things.

HOWEVER, the camera is the 5s IS a lot better than the 5, and proves that you don't need more pixels to take way better pictures. I'm all about photos, so this alone justifies the upgrade for me.

The fingerprint sensor is kinda neat, though my problem is I have a bit of OCD, and I wash my hands a lot. Side effect: I get dry, chapped hands in the winter, and already, the weather's just cold enough that my fingertips are dry. I can say it's definitely affecting the performance of the fingerprint reader, and where just a day ago it was fine, I'm starting to see lots of misreads.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.