I am disgusted with the performance of my macbook pro when using Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Italstln13, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Italstln13 macrumors member

I am mainly having issues with Safari and Firefox. Surfing the internet is PAINFULLY slow. I have new linksys (wireless N) router. It took over 10 seconds just to load up the "post new thread" page I'm writing this post on. I have no idea what the problem is. I have babied my pro since buying it a couple months ago. It's a 2.4 GHz Core 2 duo. Memory is 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. I expected much more performance from my pro considering the money I have invested in it. I have a 5 yr old dell the performs MUCH quicker on the internet. It does not matter how I run on my pro on my network, Wireless, ethernet from router, or ethernet straight from the modem, the speed is terrible. My cpu is usually 90% idle, my memory is more than half free. Any ideas? Thanks so much. One more thing, I'm having NO issues with other applications, they all run up to speed and preform without a problem. Thanks!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Anyone else on your network stealing bandwidth?

3. 160225 Guest

Safari

Make sure Safari is running as Intel, not under Rosetta.

4. Italstln13 thread starter macrumors member

No. My network is secure. Right I'm running ethernet straight from modem to my pro. I ran a speed test just now, my download was speed was 6,813 kbps. My ISP is Time Warner Road Runner.

5. Italstln13 thread starter macrumors member

Under Safari info, the box "Open using Rosetta" is not checked

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

9 times out of 10, slow Internet is due to DNS issues. have you tried changing your DNS servers?

Check out www.opendns.com

7. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

That's in the Get Info panel.

I don't have anything really to add here, other than to get Onyx and run everything. If nothing else, its a good distraction.

8. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

It's your internet, I'm running a MBP three years older than yours, and my clicks on MacRumors load in less than 3 seconds.

9. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You know, I think it's dumb that those of us running Safari 4 haven't gotten this feature yet...

Or does it not work well enough to be worth having yet?

11. Italstln13 thread starter macrumors member

Whats really making me frustrated is I just hopped on my old dell desktop to type this reply and it is blazing fast. I don't get it. I love my mac but this internet speed problem is frustrating me so much.

12. Italstln13 thread starter macrumors member

I just re hooked up my network like I usually have it. Modem to Linksys router. PC is connected to the router via Ethernet all the time. My MBP is connected using wifi or Ethernet depending on where I am in the room. The speed is still the same whether my MBP is connected Ethernet or wifi.

When I originally setup my network I installed the router using my PC. I then had to call linksys to have them help get my mac running on my network. My MBP could see the network and was logged onto it but the internet would not work. Not sure if that information helps.

13. Italstln13 thread starter macrumors member

Since turing this off, Safari is running quicker. Thanks, it seemed to work. I hate to say this but my PC is still loading pages quicker though.

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

15. G4DP macrumors 65816

Question to the original poster.

Why hve you got a router and a modem hooked up together?

16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Maybe he has DSL. I have to hook up a (worthless) modem provided by our ISP to my AirPort Extreme.

17. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

There's always Firefox, Camino, Shiira, OmniWeb, iCab, Opera.....

Have you tried it with other browsers or is it just a safari issue?

18. Italstln13 thread starter macrumors member

The coax comes out of the wall to the modem (its cable internet). Then Ethernet from the modem to the internet port on the router. Then everything running on the network connects to the router via Ethernet or wifi.

19. Italstln13 thread starter macrumors member

I have Firefox as well. Speeds are about the same as Safari. I will probably download Camino in the near future.

20. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Have you tried connecting the MBP directly to the modem (not the router) because it may be the router since it was configured using a PC or with I.E.
    I'm saying this because I've recently experienced the same thing. My local coffee shop has free wireless. The surfing is extremely slow and it generally takes 8-10 seconds before the page even begins to load then the load time is very slow. I've used Safari and FF.
    Why I think it's the Linksys router is because when I was at the coffee shop I booted into Windows via bootcamp and the surfing was extremely FAST. At first I thought it was just less people using the web so I booted back to OS X and I was back at slow surfing city.
    I booted back into Windows and the surfing was great. I called Apple and they said it was the coffee shop's router either outdated or a linksys configured with I.E.
    I drove to my grocery store down the street with free wireless and it was really fast in OS X.

21. V0LTR0NN macrumors newbie

I have a mac mini 1.8 core 2 duo 2gb of ram and i am having the same issues. Its with both firefox and safari...

I added my DNS manually and removed the suggested setting above and it has improved speed greatly, however still not what I would hope it to be.. interested to here more suggestions.

22. Bvas macrumors newbie

Same Question

So what was the best solution for the problem? I am having the EXACT same problem with my new lynksis router. It is so slow on MAC but super fast on PC/ Do I need to re set up the router using a mac? Please advise

23. Italstln13 thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately I have yet to find a solution that has satisfied me. I don't know what the problem is. My old PC is still running much quicker on the internet that my MBP. By un-checking the "warn when visiting a fraudulent website" box, it seemed to help some. I'm still not happy with my MBP performance on the internet and I continue to find myself going to my PC to surf the internet. I wish my MBP would just operate better on the internet.

I never did try the DNS server thing. I think I may give it a shot though.

24. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I used to have problems with a Netgear N wireless router. I switched to the Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station... great fast Internet ever since. It's simple to use and setup. Consider it.

25. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Try this one, it's always been good to me
    http://www.opendns.com/