I am getting mad at Apple

MN7119

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
I have been trying to buy two extra of the new stupid cable that Apple is using on the iPhone 5 and had no success in more than 5 stores in my area. The Apple site says it will ship in 2 weeks. This is ridiculous!!!! How can a company like Apple change a cable that will be used by millions of people and not foresee a huge demand on them? It looks like it is time to sell AAPL since the company is going downhill.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
HAHAHAHA! DOOMSDAY!
You're going to unload your stock (supposedly) because of a cable? Crazy.

MrGimper

macrumors 603
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I have been trying to buy two extra of the new stupid cable that Apple is using on the iPhone 5 and had no success in more than 5 stores in my area. The Apple site says it will ship in 2 weeks. This is ridiculous!!!! How can a company like Apple change a cable that will be used by millions of people and not foresee a huge demand on them? It looks like it is time to sell AAPL since the company is going downhill.
Loads in the UK .... take a trip

MN7119

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
It is not because a cable. It is the overall stupidity of the company lately. Lighting cable supply, Maps “joke”, iPhone 5 supply, and much more. MrGimper said there are loads of the cable in the UK and NONE in the US. Another stupid supply chain decision.

famous600

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
It is not because a cable. It is the overall stupidity of the company lately. Lighting cable supply, Maps “joke”, iPhone 5 supply, and much more. MrGimper said there are loads of the cable in the UK and NONE in the US. Another stupid supply chain decision.
I like the maps "joke". It gets me from point a to point b. :)

lordhamster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
Order it online. It said 2-3 weeks shipping, but both orderes I placed for lightning-USB cables shipped that same night and arrived the next day.

I'm not sure what the deal is with their website, but just order it online.

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2012
I have seen quite a few at the Apple store but you can also call around to Verizon stores as they had quite a few there as well. I am on AT&T but I went to Verizon because they have more cases. Call a few of them and you might be able to find a couple cords.

Zedsdead185

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2006
UK
Well, this is only a minor inconvenience in my eyes. At least you have the one that was supplied with the phone. Its not like it is unusable or anything. I'm sure you can wait the 2 weeks to receive these spare or extra cables.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I found them in the StL with barely any issue.

I loaded up the Apple Store App on Friday during the day (during Apple's Retail Operating Hours), selected the Lightning Cable for in store pick up... It stated the cable would arrive October 19.

Instead, I waited...

I tried again on Saturday morning before the Apple store opened, they were in stock. I bought two for in store pick up. I picked them up later that day.

Try that. Try ordering them off of the Apple Store App before the store would open that day in your area.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
I ordered my 3rd and 4th from Apple last week and they arrived today.

I think they are doing pretty well considering.

aloecool

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2011
I found them in the StL with barely any issue.

I loaded up the Apple Store App on Friday during the day (during Apple's Retail Operating Hours), selected the Lightning Cable for in store pick up... It stated the cable would arrive October 19.

Instead, I waited...

I tried again on Saturday morning before the Apple store opened, they were in stock. I bought two for in store pick up. I picked them up later that day.

Try that. Try ordering them off of the Apple Store App before the store would open that day in your area.
I also did the same w/the in store pick up using the Apple Store App on the phone.

daveishere

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
UK
Loads in the UK .... take a trip
yeah I second this, they had all the lightening bits and bobs (minus the 30-pin adaptor) in the touchwood solihull store yesterday where i picked up an extra lightening>usb cable for my car.

ToddH

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Why don't you do what I did for the time being, take your cable with you everywhere that way you can charge your phone in your car or at home. Just get your little bag or something and put it in there and carry it with you. You can put it in your laptop bag or bring it with you in the car etc. etc. Then when the Apple Store becomes more available you can also buy another one there. They are also available at the AT&T store and most likely at the Sprint or Verizon stores as well

ItsWelshy

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2012
I have to say I sympathise with the OP, I left work on Friday and left my Lightning cable on my desk by accident... as I work 45 minutes from home, I popped into my local town to purchase another, rather than travel back to work... Couldn't find one in O2, Vodafone, Orange or t-Mobile. I even tried the iStore, who also had none in stock.

Whilst I'm aware I could have ordered a spare with the iPhone 5 (direct from Apple) I do think they should have been churning these out to retail chains, its rendered my phone useless this weekend, admittedly my fault, but feel there should be stock at places selling iphone 5.

All the other comments made by the OP are complete nonsense.

Maps is a wonderful app, turn by turn is by far the best I've used.

What gets me is that no one has been moaning about Tom Tom before, as soon as it's released on iPhone, the world collapses.

BTW, anyone who would sell their Apple stock do to not being able to buy a cable, doesn't have Apple stock :)

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
If there aren't any locally, order them from Apple. As mentioned earlier, the website is wrong. Order now, you'll get them by Wednesday. I ordered two the day of release (21st)...it showed delivery mid-october. I got them last Tuesday.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
The Apple Store in San Diego has tons of them. I bought an extra one last week. I had never been to that store before as I am visiting San Diego on a business trip. The new Apple Maps got me to the store with no issues at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.