I am getting ridiculously good battery life

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aDRock1154, Oct 14, 2012.

1. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

I am at a loss for words... I have had the 4,4S, and now the 5, but I have never had anything like this... This is my 2nd iPhone 5 (earpiece went dead in my first handset) , but even my first 5 wasn't this good.

I know there are many threads out there with similar themes, but anyone else shocked at how good their battery is?

Attached Files:

2. iAi macrumors 6502

Me too! I'll post my screenshots later.

3rd week of my iP5! It's best battery life so far ...

Yesterday

32% left
    Usage 11 hours, 26 minutes
    Standby 1 day, 9 hours

Right now (did lot of multi-tasking vs. yesterday)
    47% left
    Usage 6 hours, 34 minutes
    Standby 15 hours, 5 minutes

3. Brad02 macrumors regular

I'm not and a ton of others aren't as well. I beginning to wonder if there was a batch of bad batteries?

You're getting twice what I am. Does that include any music listening?

4. epphllps macrumors 6502

That's exactly on par with what they said for wifi use. Use it on cellular and watch it drain...

5. aDRock1154 thread starter macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

I've listened to music and streamed some Netflix.. Mostly Facebook, Twitter, and web browsing today though. I haven't been on WIFI all day, but most of it..

6. iAi macrumors 6502

Yesterday was all Pandora and some web surfing day!

Today pretty much the same thing plus more non-stop multi-tasking.

Combo of wi-fi and throttled 3G & airplane mode.

Listening to Pandora = long battery life?

7. Beezzy macrumors 6502

I've gotten up to 28hrs on a single charge. With about 10 hours of usage.

8. iAi macrumors 6502

I am definitely keeping this power-charged, flawless beauty (a Verizon)! Thought about swapping it with AT&T version.

9. dmelgar macrumors 68000

iPhone 5 is extremely power efficient if its not doing anything. It consumes much more power the heavier it is taxed. It is a small battery.

Bottom line, you'll see large variability depending on what the phone is doing. "Usage" isn't descriptive enough to get an idea what its doing.

Major things that affect it include:
    • display brightness
    • signal strength
    • type and number of radios in use, ie GPS, LTE, WiFi.
    • CPU load. The CPU is very powerful so its harder to tax it vs. previous phones.
    • GPU load.

10. iAi macrumors 6502

It sounds like my iP5 battery broke in really good as in my first 2 weeks of non-stop use or doing pretty much the same thing I never get those spectacular usage or battery life - 6 hours of usage at most with almost 0% left, under the same settings.

I guess let's ...

1st two weeks ... Totally drained it or 1% ... On 3rd week, now am charging when it goes under 40% or 20%!

11. Dennis187 macrumors regular

Dennis187

12. Dukat macrumors regular

I've had 4 full charges so far. Nearly all notifications off, email pull every 30 minutes, brightness at 25%, LTE off and location services off unless I need to use navigation. 95% of my use is to check email or brief website lookup.

The 3rd charge was pretty good lasting 6 hours of use and 48 hours standby. The 6 hours of use isn't true screen use though, actual use was more like 1 hour.

My other 3 charges have been lousy, on par with my iphone 4 battery that was going bad after 2 years. At one point I turned on location services to test turn-by-turn navigation for 10 minutes and it dropped 10%.

I don't think the problem is the battery or hardware, more likely software bug causing excessive usage when there shouldn't be.

Some people said a DMF restore of the phone fixed their problem. To those that did this, did you then restore your setup from icloud or manually reinstall all apps?

13. batting1000 macrumors 604

What am I doing wrong? I only get 4-6 hours of usage with no Bluetooth, no GPS, and no push email, etc. same usage times as my 4S.

14. aDRock1154 thread starter macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

Keep in mind I used WIFI for most of the day.. I have EVERYTHING turned on, but haven't gotten anywhere close to these stats in my previous iPhones.

15. Tvp125 macrumors newbie

Right now I'm at 60% charge. with 13 hours stand by and 3 hours usage. I have to say this is the best battery life I have had on a phone in awhile. even with heave usage it would last me the whole day. I have had the phone about 2 weeks and I have only received the low battery warning once.

16. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

Tell me about

Attached Files:

17. ray6712 macrumors regular

ray6712

18. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I went from a Verizon Galaxy Nexus (LTE model) to an iPhone 5... and such a big difference.. but then again it's widely known the Galaxy Nexus' battery life is atrocious. I had a Galaxy S3.. it's battery life is good, the iPhone 5's is better though.

19. iAi macrumors 6502

Loving the battery! It looks like 2 weeks break-in period of the battery.

20. aries2k1 macrumors newbie

I'm also very impressed with the battery life. My best times are 9 hrs 28 minutes usage with 13 and a half hours of standby. I didn't always get good battery life though. When I first got my 5 I restored from my previous iPhone 4 backup and was getting about 4 hours total. Starting from scratch and redownloading all my apps/data might be a pain to do but it has really been worth it. Other things I've done include lower the brightness, turned off most location services except for maps and Siri, and disabled notifications.

21. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I just did a restore as new today on my phone to test out my less than stellar but still decent battery life. Before I was typically getting 6-8 hours usage time with about 11-13 hours standby on a full charge. So far today after getting it all setup the way I had it before I'm pretty sure I already see improvement. I'll let it drain all the way before I get my hopes up though. I would love to get the battery life some of you are posting.

22. theonekcrow macrumors 6502a

theonekcrow

Here is my battery life. Pretty decent, I must say, for being in an LTE area!!!

Attached Files:

23. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

Jealous, I'm getting terrible battery life w light use. Took it to Apple store and apple geek told me it was 'normal'.

24. hNicolas macrumors 6502

hNicolas

Yup, battery life seems to be much better on iPhone 5 than it was on all my previous models, but only after doing a restore as new, and installing everything manually except for iCloud restore of photos and mail.

After about 2 weeks of use from my iPhone 4S's restore I was getting average battery life of about 5-6-7 hours use after a full day. Now, since restoring as new 3 days ago I'm getting over 8 hours each day and I have screen at 40% LTE and Bluetooth on all the time.

25. Hpye, Oct 20, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2012

Hpye macrumors 6502

Mine is really good 27% for 9+ hrs usage
    19+ hrs stand by, I think I have the best battery life than anyone in this thread? :)

Attached Files: