I am giving you an envelope containing evidence that God does not exist...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Prof., Apr 10, 2009.

?

What would you do?

1. Share the information with the world.

86 vote(s)
    79.6%
  2. Keep the information to yourself and burn the evidence.

22 vote(s)
    20.4%
  1. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

This evidence will be enough to make the entire human race believe that there really is no God or higher power. And when you die, nothing happens, you just die. Everything we read in our religious texts was all one big lie. No God, no Satan, no heaven, no Hell.

So what do you do? Do you keep the information to yourself and burn the envelope OR do you share your findings with all of man-kind?

Your choice.

2. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

If it were possible to prove a negative and this letter held conclusive evidence, the world would deserve to know regardless of my own personal convictions prior to reading it.

By the way, this exact mentality is why religions spread rather than being a statically sized entity.

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Sell it to the highest bidder (after having taken a few copies in case a religious group was the highest bidder).

4. bartelby macrumors Core

Brilliant idea!
    :)

5. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I'll full of them. :D

What if the evidence proved that a god/gods/goddess/whatever did exist beyond any doubt?

Personally I would proclaim myself to be the next son of god and provide the proof.

Either way I am rich :D

7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

And there's the problem exactly: a negative cannot be proven.

In science, evidence is collected in support of a hypothesis; the evidence will either prove it as accurate, or the absence of supportive evidence will not meet the burden of proof and the hypothesis will be thought false.

8. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I would burn it and not tell anybody. I don't want to be caught with that kind of evidence because I would most definitely be put on some kind of hit list.

9. bartelby macrumors Core

That's why you'd share it, so they'd have to off everyone...

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference. People believe what they want to believe. QED.

11. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Pss-shaw. We're preemptively agreeing to impossible scenarios and you can't even play along?

12. No1451 macrumors 6502

Need to agree with you on this. Besides, if people want to believe there is no harm in letting them keep going with their lives. If someone wants to be told that they have a purpose and that they MATTER, who am I to take that away from them?

I wouldn't burn it or share it, I would probably stick it somewhere in my house and lose it.

13. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

I would keep it and not tell anyone. I believe, if nothing else, religion provides hope. And a world without hope of better things is quite depressing. Perhaps not if lead a privileged life, but if your life is pretty bad or your whole family dies in an Earthquake... well. You need hope.

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Homer proves conclusively that there is no God to Ned Flanders. ;)

Of course you share it! Get all the information out there and let the chips fall where they may. It's almost never acceptable to withhold information from anyone.

15. Eanair macrumors 6502

Eanair

I would share the information with the world.

What happens after, that's another thing. :)

16. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

why? do u have evidence that god doesnt exist?

17. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

18. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

3. Consider it spam, junk mail, or the ravings of a lunatic and toss it in the can depending on what is printed on the outside.

Edit: First two spam and junk mail are self-explanatory, and I really hate the guys on the street handing out religious info -- they all seem like nuts to me.

19. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

I generally agree with ^^^. It might affect a few, but most people believe what best suits their agenda ... some people don't believe in evolution, some people deny the holocaust, etc.

20. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

i can see where this thread is going to go.... it soon wont be about an envelope

but i would burn it. your just gonna get shot.

faith is big to some people. it keeps a lot of people going, wether there is something at the end there or not.

nice. realllly classy haha

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly- and certain people of "faith" won't believe evidence when it's staring them in the face. They'd ignore the envelope, burn it and then have you killed.

22. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

God believers will just say the evidence is the work of the devil.

23. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

I assume you mean proof, not evidence.

I'd share it, what's the worst that could happen, it's not like I could go to hell for it.
    Then I'd rape and pillage as that's what us godless heathens do after all. Or, we could all welcome in a new age of science, exploration acceptance and enlightenment, as we are no longer held back by superstition and petty squabbling over what colour hat to wear.

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Atheists can be very picky about their hats.

25. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

You act as if people don't think of plenty of other reasons to be intolerant, despotic, inhumane, and downright reprehensible. The cover-up story changes, that's all.