I am guessing that an early release of iOS 4.3 will hurt 3g iPad 2 sales.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FrancoRumors, Mar 8, 2011.

1. FrancoRumors, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011

FrancoRumors macrumors 6502

FrancoRumors

If 4.3 is released early - which I (we) are all hoping for - my first order of business is to find out just how much battery time I will get out of my iPhone 4 and how well the wifi hotspot performs. I'll be testing out the data flow with a macbook air.

My prediction is that I will be tethering by friday evening with my new iPad 2 assuming there is no wifi available.

I can't wait to have wifi in my pocket :)

I am hoping this is the stance that most people take so 3g iPad sales go down and AT&T can rethink their data pricing after the loss of customers to verizon and wifi tethering.

Unify my data charges AT&T. Don't be buttheads. Offer me unlimited data again - unlimited devices - fair pricing. Your commercial can feature some people saying something like, "It's your data...use it how you want to...AT&T". We will all praise you and AT&T will take over the world. I promise :eek:

2. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

An early IOs 4.3 Drop. Won't hurt any sales, maybe you and some other kid.

3. FrancoRumors thread starter macrumors 6502

FrancoRumors

So what you are saying is that being able to use your iphone as a wifi hotspot wont affect peoples decision about buying a 3g iPad 2??

I refer you here sir:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1110830

Maybe you missed this one while you were working on your 65815th post.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It will affect some, but not all... including me
    I will not get the WiFi only if and when I choose to upgrade
    And yes, I have an iPhone 4

Tethering will drain my battery on my iPhone, and I will lose my unlimited data on my iPhone

I will choose the 3G and keep my unlimited data on the iPad as well
    And yes, I pay for 2 data plans... as well as a data plan on my GF's iPhone

5. Carouser macrumors 65816

Maybe you could tell us how many people own both an iPhone and a non-3G iPad. Or maybe how many people who own an iPhone are also going to buy an iPad and would not go with the 3G model and would buy the WiFi model instead, if they knew that tethering was an option. Then you can account for all the people who don't bring both their iPhone and iPad everywhere they go and want multiple plans. Then you can tell us whether these numbers are statistically significant in the context of number of iPads sold. After you've done that, you can re-evaluate your surprise at the idea that "being able to use your iphone as a wifi hotspot wont affect peoples decision about buying a 3g iPad 2". I hope you haven't missed anything while working on your awesome posts.

6. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502a

That70sGAdawg

N.Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
    The release of OS 4.3 might hurt ALL iPad 2 sales (not just 3G), as iPad 1 owners realize that their Safari is faster, and unless the lousy camera or "gaming" is their passion- they might just stick with their iPad 1 longer.

At least the speakers (2) on the iPad 1 don't face away from you on the back like the speaker (1) on the new improved iPad 2...

7. jasondono macrumors member

This is what i've been thinking, and hoping.
    They should have delayed it for other devices for a couple of weeks. Doubling the speed of what most people use the iPad most for, right before release of the iPad 2, seems ill-conceived.

8. iPad 2nd Gen macrumors regular

9. jwesty5 macrumors member

Instead of donating $20/month to AT&T you should be jail breaking your iPhone and using MyWi for your hotspot.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Sorry, I don't want another device to have to carry with me and remember to charge. Plus, I would be donating money to Verizon or Sprint (not sure who supplies the MyWi, but they are doing it for free.)

11. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

You're basing youe thoughts on "sales hurting" on some thread in MacRumors? Really, thats your evidence? Some 20 people in a thread? Really, really?

And I dont know what you're talking about with posts....i have no clue, thats just some random number next to my avatar

12. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

+1

Convenience > MyWi

As for effecting sales, I doubt it.

13. camelsnot macrumors 6502

camelsnot

If you're referring to ANOTHER thread, why did you start this one? Aaaawwwwww and isn't that cute. You're stalking him, mentioning his post count. Aren't you a cutie pie lookin for attention. *pinch cheek*

regardless, $20 for hotspotting is no different than $20 for ipad 3g per month. (in most cases w/no unlimited plan).

Sorry Franklin.:rolleyes:

14. jwesty5 macrumors member

MyWi is not Sprint or Verizon it's an app in Cydia with a one time cost of $20 that allows you to use your jailbroken iPhone as a hotspot absolutely free. Nothing extra to carry around. If you'd rather pay $20/month great but it's the one thing that made me finally decide to jailbreak my phone.

15. ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

I think you could be correct! I am not sure. And BTW... that was his 1,001th post..

16. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Why so snarky? Some (probably a lot) of us have unlimited iPhone data plans which you cannot use as a hot spot. No, I'm not giving up my unlimited data plan and even I did not have one the hotspot doesn't really interest me b/c it eats up iPhone battery.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I thought it was a separate device.

18. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

You do realise that the iPad 2 is only released in America on the 11th and iOS 4.3 is released worldwide on the 11th (or maybe a couple of days before) and then the rest of the world starts getting the iPad 2 on the 25th.

You do realise this, don't you?

19. iPad 2nd Gen macrumors regular

That had nothing to do with his post.

20. FrancoRumors thread starter macrumors 6502

FrancoRumors

- Modification of original post -

I was basically stating I think a higher percentage of people will choose wifi vs. 3g iPad 2 this time around due to the availability of wifi hotspot with iphone 4 and iOS 4.3. Having a few days to check out 4.3 and wifi hot spot ( since it was released today and not friday) will give them a chance to see if wifi hotspot paired with a wifi iPad 2 is the option the will choose.

21. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

The info about the hotspot was known prior to the 4.3 release anyhow. This was announced in the keynote last week. 4GB is more than enough for me so I chose that option. If there was unlimited data for the iPad still then I would definitely cop a 3G iPad, but that's not the case. I had a 3G original iPad and I was spending $55 per month on data. Downgraded and save $10 a month now.

22. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Not everyone loves tethering btw. I'd rather have my iphone charged up than using it as a hotspot, and I'm willing to pay the 2nd data charge for my ipad. I would never buy an ipad without the 3g chip as I just find it too convenient for the way I travel.

23. urkel macrumors 68030

I agree with that. OS upgrades, regardless of how small, give you that feeling that your "old" product suddenly is up to date. And considering how little the iPad 2 improves over the original then i could see a lot of people saying "Maybe I should save my $500 and spend Friday night with someone important".

24. foiden macrumors 6502a

Do many people buy a new machine based simply on when they get an OS revision? Either you would've gotten it the same day iPad2 users get it, or you get it early. If they were getting an iPad2, they are getting it for stuff they can use on iPad1. Cameras, facetime, full-featured iMovie, that they can get it in white??, etc.

25. Ole'schooliBook macrumors member

As a Canadian who doesn't live under the archaic variable charges for the same data (how is it even legal in the States??), I can definitively say this makes all the difference in my iPad 2 purchase decision.

I'm on the Rogers/Fido network and they have made it very clear that as long as you have a data plan over 1gb/month, they will not differentiate the data usage between tethering and personal hotspot. My guess is that they do not offer it on the 500mb plan due to people blowing through that data far before the end of the month and then incurring (and complaining about) the outrageous overage fees.

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carrie...free-on-rogersfido-with-1gb-higher-data-plan/

This is awesome news for anyone with an iPhone 4 who is deciding on which iPad to buy. I, for one, will save my $130 and go for the wifi-only model. I think tapping a few iPhone settings to "on" is a small price to pay...Who doesn't carry their phone around with them all day anyway?