I am having software update every day tell me a new Safari 4.0 beta is out there.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Bernd, May 21, 2009.

1. Bernd macrumors member

Every morning when I log in to my Mac Software update tells me there is a new Beta for Safari 4.0. It always has the same size as the previous update. I SU having a spaz or is Apple pushing out daily beta updates for Safari 4.0? The Software update log shows updates are installed.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Have you installed it? I had to do two Safari updates back to back on my iMac.

3. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

I would uninstall it completely, then download it from apple.com.. Software update seems to have some problems lately.

4. Bernd thread starter macrumors member

Yeah it is just redoing the same version again and again just for giggles I ran and reran it about 1 hour apart and guess what Beta 4 needed an update the same size as the last one. something is goofed up bad with Software update. I will reinstall Safari 4 beta from the apple website fresh and see if that fixes this goof.

Update Downloaded Safari 4.0 beta with camino from apple trashed safari reinstalled which claimed it was beta and update for Tiger. ran SW Update and it claimed a new update was available. Ran the update and no version # change re ran SW update again an update with no version # change. ran SW Updat again it claims a new version of Beta is available. SWupdate is borked! now what?

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

6. Bernd thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I could. I was hopping to find a way to fix if for good. I don't like to have something broken and not be able to fix it. I think I will just close the update window until I see the version/size change. I want to see any new updates to the beta and don't want to risk missing it if I am ignoring beta 4 updates. I think I maybe OCD if I know something is broken; I always pick at it if I know about it.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This does not sound so much like a Software Update problem as much as it sounds like you are borking your system. The only way to properly remove the Safari 4 beta is to use the uninstaller. It will restore Safari 3. Software Update will then update Safari 3 to the most recent version.

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I'm under the impression that Software Update doesn't do betas.

In that, it doesn't tell you about betas; you have to download the package separately. This is interesting.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It updated the Safari 4 Beta for me under Tiger and Leopard.

10. GITANAJAVA macrumors regular

GITANAJAVA

Safari 4 Beta is most definitely being updated -- albeit with some sloppiness on Apple's part as of the most recent update. The automatic update service was clearly offered both in Apple's original notification about Safari 4 Beta and it is further noted here: http://www.apple.com/safari/features.html.

As for the most recent update, the problem originates with Apple, as is discussed in Apple's user forums here: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=9466367&#9466367.

The "repetitive update" issue is occurring for both Mac & MS and Tiger & Leopard users. The URL above suggests (1) keep reporting the bug to Apple via the Bug Report button in the upper right of the Safari 4 browser bar, and (2) disabling that particular update by unchecking the option when the auto-update next offers it to you -- doing so will NOT affect future offerings.