I am here to save you from scratches, without sacrificing the beauty of your machine.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xFiGGiE, Aug 5, 2012.

1. xFiGGiE, Aug 5, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2012

xFiGGiE macrumors member

Hey everyone, long time lurker here. I have been reading and browsing but never post. I totally forgot I had an account already until I just tried to register with my username (again). Anyways I see that a lot of people are very protective over their new shiny hardware (as am I ;)) but don't protect their machines because they don't want to ruin the look of the $3,000 product they just bought.

Apple makes products to look a certain way and I don't blame anyone for not wanting to put an ugly hard case or GLOSSY SHIELD over it etc.

I fully expect to see big name companies/usual suspects to come out with this type of film if this thread catches on and gains attention, but as of right now I don't think you can find this type of material anywhere that has pre-cut protectant films for electronics.

Anyways, the pictures in this post are of material that keeps the brushed aluminum look without even noticing there is anything on your machine. Instead of a glossy film that people are turned off by, I am willing to provide what the auto-industry refers to as FLAT or MATTE clear-bra film.

This stuff is not pre-cut and comes in huge rolls, I did this job really quickly and YMMV depending on how patient and good you are with an exacto-knife/box cutters. The more time you take to cut the neater/clean it will look.

:apple: Let me know what you guys think! :apple:

NOTE: I made the top lid corner SHORT on purpose just to show you guys what little difference there is between the film and the actual brushed aluminum, a real life side-by-side comparison since I only own one Macbook! :p Also, please forgive the dust/hair in the pictures, I didn't clean up my laptop before taking these and remember these are MACRO camera shots so all the little blemishes and what not are not noticeable in a real life scenario/daily laptop use! If anyone is interested don't hesitate to PM me!

http://imgur.com/a/8lu7m So I don't hog up the bandwidth in the forums, external link to more pictures!

Attached Files:

2. kurayami88 macrumors newbie

imho .... i'd rather go naked... but that's just me...

3. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

You sexy beast!

4. xFiGGiE thread starter macrumors member

Can't do it...too many fingerprints scratches blemishes and the likes of for me to go naked. Seriously ever since I put this film over my rMBP I don't obsess over wiping it down every two seconds or making sure I don't scratch it with something. The best part is it keeps it's integrity and aesthetics without losing the brushed look to a glossy film.

5. ender land macrumors 6502a

I buy technology to use, not obsess over. Wear and tear is part of the game when you use something daily.

6. xFiGGiE thread starter macrumors member

im pretty sure that is what everyone buys technology for. but if i can prevent something from getting beat up and old looking overtime with minimal effort and low cost, why wouldnt i? whether its for my own satisfaction or resale value or whatever the reason may be, logic applies here and you cant ignore that! ;)

7. hiohokaybye macrumors regular

I got this protector from wrapsol and its not glossy at all. the protection is insane!! shiny and no scratches :)

the smoothness of it is a bonus!:D

8. PCWebbJR macrumors member

Based on your pictures, it looks great! But, I'm not one to put protective film on a laptop. iPad or iPhone, I understand, but it seems a little overboard for a full-size laptop.

I'm even starting to rethink having put protective films on my iPhone and iPad, the glass is already very scratch resistant so it really serves no purpose.

Unless you're planning on reselling, I guess... But I'm all for using, and enjoying, my apple products until they bite the dust.

9. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I'd like to point out that while this might be good for protecting the machine from scratches and blemishes, you could potentially impact performance. These machines are designed to work as heatsinks, so much of the heat (besides through convection with the vents) is actually dissipated through conduction through the aluminum. If you cover it with a piece of rubber, you're insulating the machine, and this will cause an increase in heat to some degree. Ultimately, it may not make that much of a difference, but greater heat means less turbo means slower processor.

10. xFiGGiE thread starter macrumors member

Yeah mine has the smoothness, I just saw their YouTube video, exact same stuff I have VERY cool. Didn't know about wrapsol just invisible shield, bodyguardz, etc. Great share thanks!

----------

It isn't rubber and I don't notice any difference in heat retention. My rMBP never gets extremely hot even with the applied film and playing games or video processing. I don't have any film on the palm rests or trackpad but do have a Moshi Keyboard Cover. Great product and they accidentally sent me two free replacements..lol

11. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I'm not saying it will definitely be a noticeable difference, but the material used in these covers is going to insulate more than bare aluminum. Therefore, as an end result, you may end up with 1-2 degree difference in temperatures, or potentially more if you're pushing the machine under load. No scientific tests have been done, but basic physics suggests that the machine will, to some degree, get a bit hotter.

12. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I find Phantom Skinz matte covering to feel the best.

13. 725032 Guest

Perhaps you should learn to look after your purchases with better respect.

14. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Macs are made from a very high grade of aluminum, finished quite nicely.

There's no way I'm going to cover mine up. Nor am I going to waste time staring at it and admiring it.

I open the lid and use it as Apple designed it to be used. Once done, I close the lid and put it in my laptop bag... simple. :)

15. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

Agreed. It's like putting a clear plastic covering on a couch. It's just...cheesy.

16. mobilitech macrumors newbie

Where did you buy your sheet of "plastic guard"? I know for the car bumpers and whatnot it is usually made by 3M. In fact that's what I used to protect the screen on my old iPhone, was some leftover 3M guard. Did you place it over your screen as well?

I find it funny that some people wouldn't want to at least protect part of their investment. My Dad has put it on the front bumper and about halfway up the hood of his Carrera S protect from stone chips on the road and track.

17. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

Or you could, you know, use a sleeve or case when not in use.

And not collide it with a dense object when in use.

18. glitternarwhal macrumors member

glitternarwhal

I'm not that clumsy with my products that I purchase. I don't think I would need to put film on my laptop (when I do end up getting it). But kudos to you having the time to precisely size and cut that thin sheet of plastic for your laptop.

19. macbook123 macrumors 68000

The main reason to put one of those on, in my opinion, is prevention of accidental drops. The brushed aluminum is incredibly slippery to skin. It makes it much more fun to use the laptop IMHO.

I have a wrap on my iPad and would not want to use it without *ever*. So thanks for this thread. Reminds me that I should get a skin for my RMBP. Btw, you didn't mention where to buy the material you use.

20. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Never used anything like this, and likely never will. The anodised aluminium finish is very durable under normal use

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My MBP is naked as the day it was born :p

As others stated, I buy the laptop to use, not to stare it. While I don't want scratches and I generally take care of it. I prefer not putting anything on it

22. xFiGGiE thread starter macrumors member

I have huge sheets/rolls of it at my brothers car business. I was trying to be subtle and not make it about HEY GUYS WANNA BUY SOME WRAP FROM ME?! sales pitch forum post.