"I Am Jewish" -spoken word poetry by Andrew Lustig

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Illuminated, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Illuminated macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

This is beautiful. Totally makes me understand what makes me Jewish, and watching this after coming back from my Birthright in Israel really puts it all together. I'm proud to be Jewish.

Watch; everyone. Not just Jews.

2. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

why is the goyim cemetery lonely? also, i've heard in the past that word is derogatory, though that may be false.

3. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

Why? How does it make you better than anybody else?

4. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Aren't you German? dun dun dun. :p

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Worse. He's "French". 2 x :p

6. Illuminated thread starter macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

Who said being proud makes me better than anybody? I'm proud of my culture, I'm proud of where I came from. I'm proud of being Jewish. Can I not be proud?

7. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

I just think it's strange to be proud of something that is a coincidence.

8. Illuminated thread starter macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

Coincidence?

9. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

Do you think you were destined to be born as a Jew?

10. Illuminated thread starter macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

Destined? No. But I am glad my family was/is Jewish. Your logic is so skewed. Am I not allowed to be proud of who I am? Should I dwell?

Tell me why I shouldn't be allowed to be proud of being Jewish? I've got pride in who I am. Sue me.

And please stop answering my questions with another question.

11. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

Being glad is different from being proud, though. I'm glad I wasn't born in a third world country, but I'm not proud of it. To me, it makes sense to be proud of things that you have accomplished rather than things that happened to you by chance.

12. Illuminated thread starter macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

I don't think it was by chance. My entire family on my moms side could have ended in the holocaust. But it didn't. Because my great grandmother grandmother escaped holocaust and nazi occupied Russia.

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I find it hard to swallow that you are not proud of being born a Quebecer, and probably Catholic to boot.

14. iz2sick macrumors 6502

iz2sick

The point of marc's commentary completely eluded you.

You are Jewish by pure chance. You could just as easily been born into Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, or been born into pastafarianism.

Too bad on that last one. Being touched by his mighty noodly appendage is enlightening.

15. Illuminated thread starter macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

I'm not Jewish by pure chance. Being Jewish is my culture. My heritage. It's in my blood. It's not just my religion. I'm secular. But I'm Jewish, and I'm proud of it.

And please, I don't want anyone to argue with me about "HOW CAN YOU BE JEWISH BUT NOT BELIEVE IN GOD?"

16. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I'm proud to be Jewish also. I don't think there's anything wrong in saying that

My father had to hide the fact the he was Jewish for fear that harm could have come to our family had people found out the truth.

In fact once they did their little sons beat me up every chance they got. Some threw bricks through our windows warning us to leave the neighborhood. Luckily our "permissions" we're granted and not long after we started our long trek to America.

Some of my relatives that we're my father's age weren't so lucky and met their fates at the hand of the Nazis.

So yes, I'm proud to be Jewish and lucky that I don't have to hide it.

And no it doesn't make me better than anyone else it's just part of who I am.

17. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

Thank you.

*gasp* :eek: I have been unmasked! But, "a Quebecer"?! On dit "un québécois"! :)

18. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Sorry Sport, I don't do Q-speak all the time. I see it enough here in all government signage.

I do when respect is due.

19. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I believe goy, shiksa and goyim are approximately equivalent to "gentile". The label that means not-one-of-us will by its nature have some derogatory undertones, though those who use it will protest, "oh, I didn't mean anything by that, it is just an innocent little word." Words that serve enmity and division are not innocent.

20. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Goyim is 'acceptable', because children of such a mixed union will be born Jews. ;)

21. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Pride in race or faith really is pointless. It leads to division rather than unity. I can be proud of the work I do but how can I be proud of the good or ashamed of the bad that another does? We really are still a very tribal animal and I am not ashamed to say that, just unhappy.

22. Happybunny macrumors 68000

23. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

Why the aggro?

Why the literal interpretation?

There is probably a better way of putting it, but i am proud of my 25% jewish genetic make up. My paternal great grandparents escaped Germany post WW1.

24. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

About the video, meh... Obsessing so much about something is never good.

25. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

The seven deadly sins are Catholic and do not pertain to Judaism. In fact, I am not sure there is any scriptural support for them, they are just some made up thing.

Pride, on the other hand, is a bunch of lions (there is a pun to be made of that, which I shall leave to others).