I am livid. (5.1)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xthishero, Mar 8, 2012.

1. xthishero macrumors newbie

So I decided to update my iphone 4s this morning. Turns out itunes didn't back up my phone like it said it did when I put new music on it. So now I've lost everything except my contacts. All my messages, pictures, app data. I dont know what to do. All I know is I won't be updating ever again.

2. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Did you tell iTunes to restore from the backup?

3. TallGuy1970 macrumors 6502

I feel your pain! This is why I do the OTA delta updates through my phone now and not through iTunes.

4. nfl46 macrumors 603

Yikes, that sucks! I did a smart thing, I back up my contacts on iCloud AND my gmail account. As long as I have my Gmail account, I have my contacts.

5. xthishero thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I've tried 2 different backups and still nothing. I'm trying a backup from icloud right now from about 3 weeks ago.

6. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

7. xthishero thread starter macrumors newbie

Not right before I updated. But yesterday when I was managing new music. I tried to do it OTA and not on iTunes, but it eventually told me to plug into iTunes.

8. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

9. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

That's strange.
    iTunes usually makes a backup whenever an update is started.
    Sounds like you did a restore and not an update.

10. xthishero thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll have to try that thanks.

11. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I did the over the air update for iPhone and iPad, worked beautifully. Texts, photos, everything still there. Hopefully your old back up will at least get you part of the way back to normal.

12. xthishero thread starter macrumors newbie

I started it OTA and it eventually told me to plug into iTunes. I did and nothing. All that was left was to hit restore. It doesn't exactly walk you through it. And I'm new to the iPhone.

13. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Restore is what wiped your phone.
    Sounds like the OTA file may have been trashed. This would explain why you were instructed to connect to iTunes.

14. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

Are you sure that it wasn't just telling you to plug up to a power source for doing the update?

15. xthishero thread starter macrumors newbie

So that means I "F"ed then I guess. This phone can be too much trouble than its worth sometimes.

16. cynics macrumors G3

I'm thinking this. I did an ota update but was paranoid the phone would die so I plugged it in prior.

Did anyone try to update with it being plugged into a power source? Kind of curious if it just ask you to to be on the safe side.

17. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

You might have a older backup you can choose. Navigate to iTunes then click in upper left corner and choose iTunes/Preferences then Devices. I have a dozen backups that I can choose from.

You might've already tried but I just tried lol.

18. xthishero thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it was plugged into the wall outlet the whole time.

19. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

Dumb question but you do know you have to both Restore and Sync to get everything back?

20. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Sounds like your leaving something out in your update process. What you describe doesn't make any sense. Did you start the update OTA and it asked you to plug into power to conserve battery? And was your power cord connected to your computer? If so was iTunes is set to automatically open when the iPhone is connected? And did you maybe start trying to update via iTunes while it was updating OTA? I don't know if that's even possible but I am thinking you are leaving something out. Explain exactly what you did, and what happened, step by step and then maybe someone can help you out. Just sounds too weird to be any normal occurence.

----------

Heres what to do....This will get you back.

Plug your phone into iTunes. When your device shows up on the left panel, right click on the device. A dropdown menu will show up. Click the option to restore from previous backup.

21. xthishero thread starter macrumors newbie

I started the update OTA plugged into my wall charger the whole time. I got the "Plug into iTunes" picture so I did that with iTunes already open. Nothing changed on my phone or the computer for about 5 mins so I hit restore since it was the only thing I could do. It then re downloaded the update and restored.

I tried to find my update from yesterday to restore from and it wasn't there. The last one was from Feb 17th. I restore from that and it's like a new phone. Nothing from that date.

22. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Are you doing this in iTunes or in the phone? You can pick which computer backup when you're doing it in iTunes and you can pick which iCloud backup when you're doing it from the phone.

Are you mixing up methods and looking at the wrong place?

23. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I would blame this on user error. So you thought that hitting restore was gonna be the smart thing to do?

24. xthishero thread starter macrumors newbie

Well when there's no other option and your phone isn't doing anything but staying on the "Connect to iTunes" screen and I backed it up yesterday what would you do? Exactly. So thank you for your snide comment but it's really no appreciated.

25. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Like I said user error. Everyone can move on now.