I am on a 30 trial of aperture v3

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by zippow, Jan 25, 2011.

1. zippow macrumors newbie

I have photoshop elements v6 and I've been playing with Aperture, especially all the nice editing tools that it has.
    For the life of me I cannot figure out how to save the image I get done changing. Nowhere can I find a 'save' command. Searching on the web, I see references saying that you cannot 'save' in Aperture.
    How can I use it if I cannot save what I've changed. I know I am missing things here, but cannot figure it out.
    Can anyone help? No use buying it if changes to images cannot be saved.

Thanks in advance for any assistance. I have 17 days left on my 30 day trial.

2. leandroc76 macrumors regular

There is no saving, it is a non-destructive editing environment. You export the versions as a jpeg or tiff or what ever you want.

3. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

As said above, if you want a 'permanent' copy of the image with the edits, just export in any format you want... The great thing about nondestructive editing is you can create as many virtual "copies" as you want (at least in Lightroom, I imagine the same goes for Aperture,) each with its own processing settings, so experimentation is very easy. None of it affects the original file, only the settings that determine how it looks. Try different approaches to post-processing (color, b/w, edgy, etc.) then export the version(s) you want to whatever destination you want (print, Flickr, FB, hard drive) in .jpg or .tiff or whatever. Much better than doing the old "save as" crapola.

4. DaveOZ macrumors regular

The changes are automatically saved to a new 'version' and the 'master' is retained. You can create a new version at any point and revert back to the master also.

It's a great application and at the current price on the Apple App store it is a bargain!

5. AxisOfBeagles macrumors 6502

AxisOfBeagles

Just to reinforce what has already been said, in case you are like me and find some of these changes confusing; when you edit in Aperture there is no need to save. You can exit, go back into the browse mode, quit and re-launch, do whatever you want, and those changes will be there when you return.

The 'master' version is untouched. Those changes are kept as a separate file. What I do in aperture is right click on the image and select "new version from master". I then make my edits to that one, renaming it accordingly. I may do the same again for a different crop or effect. I can then view all of them in browser mode and compare the different edit versions. None require a "save" - aperture does that for me. And from any of them at any time I can generate a new unedited version from the master.

I switched from iPhoto / Elements 8 to Aperture and am loving it.

6. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

also, to quickly see master and your current edits just hit the "m" key, the master will be displayed and easy to see the diff between your edits and the master.....

hit the "v" key to cycle thru diff views