I am pretty sure I have a virus, but don't know what to do about it

Discussion in 'macOS' started by brandonlovatt, Feb 8, 2010.

1. brandonlovatt macrumors newbie

I downloaded an emulator for the Sega Genesis and right after running it and playing a few games, my macbook started running really slow and has been ever since.

I've downloaded Avast! and a few other anti virus programs, but it is still very slow.

I don't know how bad this virus/malware or whatever it is.. is.. but I think that someone was viewing my computer at the same time that I was? because while I was messing around with the piano on GarageBand, playing it with the keyboard, the keys were freaking out and even went LOLOL (which was F# and G on the keyboard.)

If anyone has any ideas about what's wrong, I'd love to know. Hopefully it's just me freaking out about the whole GarageBand thing, but it hasn't done it since that night.

Thanks a lot,

Brandon Lovatt

(ps. Sorry if this is in the wrong area on this site. I couldn't see anything on viruses, etc)

2. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

Since I'm not at all good with this stuff I would say to restart the computer and then if it still sucks take it to an apple store and ask or wait for a better response from another macrumors member

3. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

First off, you do not have a virus. Trust me, if you did, this is most likely the first place that you'd find out about it. Second, you need to take a look in your Sharing system preference and see if Remote Management or anything is checked there as that could be a part of it. Next, check in the Activity Monitor to see what's causing the slowdown (Just invert the CPU column and you'll see it). I'd also look in the Login items under your Users control panel to see if something's loading there.

Failing that, you could rummage through the console log and see if anything sticks out in the Console and System logs, and also look at the CrashReporter folders to see if something keeps crashing. Just look for repeat logs of the same name.

One other thing about playing with GarageBand. A keyboard does not read all of the keys individually, therefore you may be able to press some keys but not have others register while holding them down.

BTW what emulator did you download and from where?

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

There's a good reason that no "area" on this site is dedicated to virus problems. However, if you use the Search feature, you will find tons of other topics on the subject from others who are just as sure as you that their Macs are infected.

5. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

You have been compromised. It's time to panic.

Sounds like someone did a Screen Sharing prank on you.