Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

I am really torn between 8GB vs. 16GB RAM

ArmouredBear

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2012
I'm going to order a M1 MBA to accompany my 32GB i6 Mac mini, from everything I've read, for a single user 8GB would be fine but my partner and I will both use the machine and both be logged in etc. so I'm wondering if it would be worth getting the 16GB?

Comment

pugxiwawa

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2009
I'm going to order a M1 MBA to accompany my 32GB i6 Mac mini, from everything I've read, for a single user 8GB would be fine but my partner and I will both use the machine and both be logged in etc. so I'm wondering if it would be worth getting the 16GB?
Depends on if you and your partner can tolerate the occasional out of memory error. (Starting at minute 9:00)

Last edited:
Comment

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
guys its really simple.

if you dont venture out of office, mail, web browsing, you dont need 16gb.

if you're running some kind of proprietary application, vm, emulation, multitask you probably need 16gb, but can get away with 8gb if your system isn't under load always

if your system is always going to be on load, compiling, running proprietary apps, vm, you WILL need 16gb

the disk caching is not anything to worry about unless your SSD is always over 80% capacity + always under load + always getting extra r/w added. its not 2012 anymore, its actually really hard for 1 user to wear out NAND now. this is well studied.

With normal productivity apps, I would say yes. Where it gets a bit confusing are the more intensive creative apps for photo and video.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.