I am running OS El Capitan Beta release 10.11.1 I would like to install the Normal El Capitan

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by henrymls, Sep 29, 2015.

1. henrymls macrumors member

henrymls

I would like to stop the beta program on my mac and just install the official release El Capitan when it comes out tonight or tomorrow. How would I go about doing that?

2. felt. macrumors 6502a

It's easy, you just change boot drive to the clone you made with superduper before upgrading.
    the official is 10.11 and you have a more recent version with relevant updates. Any reason you would like to roll those back?

3. henrymls thread starter macrumors member

henrymls

Did not know about any of the above things you mentioned to do before signing up for the beta software program. I wanted to run the new software to get to know my Mac Book Pro as I was transitioning from a pc. Learned a lot but is there a easier way to "down grade" to the official release?

4. duervo macrumors 68020

duervo

Back it up with time machine and then wipe and reinstall. Reinstall your apps manually, and then use migration assistant to restore only your user data (not apps and settings).

5. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

<sigh> The beta program is not there for chasers of shiny things. Apple explicitly warns that beta code should not be used for work/production/important purposes - and it has zero value in getting you "used to your mac". You have to go past those warnings when you signed up for the beta program.

Presuming you haven't started any backup regime whatsoever I'd strongly suggest you start one, an external drive and Time Machine are all you need. As for your machine, I suspect Internet Recovery is your only option, you will lose any data or settings you have created/changed since the install.

6. henrymls thread starter macrumors member

henrymls

Its ok
    Its going to be ok, whether I chose to learn the Apple way of doing things that way is up to me. Found a solution.

7. felt. macrumors 6502a

8. henrymls thread starter macrumors member

henrymls

9. felt. macrumors 6502a

reinstall from recovery is good saves your documents and apps, or at least it did for me when I did it with 10.11

10. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

That's exactly why I'm still on the GM as opposed to the 10.11.1 beta. Once El Cap shows up in the App Store I'm just going to switch over to that as opposed to staying on a beta.

11. henrymls thread starter macrumors member

henrymls

All I did was unregister my Mac like the instructions said and installed the new El Capitain and voila all done, no loss of anything or clone making or anything else.

12. srminton macrumors regular

srminton

yep, that's all there is to it. Not sure what all that nonsense advice was about....

13. doitdada macrumors 6502a

doitdada