I am sceptical.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zeetee96, Sep 9, 2012.

1. zeetee96 macrumors member

Okay, so i'm a 4S user and i quite like the "speculated" design of the "iPhone 5" or whatever the hell you want to call it. I dont think i will get one though, mainly because im on a 2 year contract and im perfectly happy with my 4S so i don't really want to upgrade.

But, to me, all these "leaks"... All seem, very, what's the word... Deliberate. Its as if the big guys at Apple have a calendar, with each day through out 2012, where they choose when another piece will be leaked... Until finally we will have what we all "think" will be the next iPhone...

I know Apple aren't out to trick or fool anyone but the point i'm making, is that I would love nothing less, than Tim Cook to walk on stage and present something that he calls an iPhone 5 or whatever and it is nothing that we have ever seen before... And these past 3 months or whatever have been a huge deliberate hoax... I just think that would be absolutely amazing, and seen as he said he will be "doubling down on security" I dont think it would be too far-fetched to be true!

Let's face it, presenting a completed iPhone 5 body and all its components to the world 3 weeks before the announcement is one big screw up for a company that wants to keep its products secret until its announcement...

Sure, there is a hell of alot of evidence pointing to a longer iPhone with a unibody design... But, apple have the money... They could easily have set all this up.

Just think, for the 3 months leading up to the announcement, they begin leaking specific parts and mystery components of a completely fake device, the world is hooked, and stays hooked for 3 months, no body reading any deeper into what else apple could possibly be planning. Slowly, 4S sales drop, in anticipation of the 5, everyone waiting, all thinking they know what to expect, and then, Bang., September the 12th comes along with Tim releasing a completely unheard of, unseen and stupendously new device that defies everything we thought we knew about the iPhone 5. The world would go mad. Apple would create such an explosion around the world that they would blast the android creations into high heaven...

Apple are clever people. I would not be too quick to rule this out. 3 days to go.

Of course, Im probably going to eat my words.

2. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

While that would be pretty cool to see, I don't think they would plan something like that.

Mainly because many ppl switched phones because of the leak and won't be able to switch back from whatever phone they bought. So that's lost sales. Plus the cost to develop all the fake parts would be huge. It would need development work and such just to make them seem plausible. Seems like a waste of time and money, plus we have seen no leaked parts that contradict any other parts. Which we would see if there was a fake phone and a real phone.

I personally am quite pleased with the taller design. I played with an Galaxy3 and found its just to big and the screen is way to bright. The OneX has the same size problem but the screen is amazing. I would be ok with an EVo sized screen but that's about as large as I think is needed. Of course if you are right and the new iPhone is actually a huge 5.0 screen, I will still buy it, but I will complain about the size!

3. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

I would love for this to be true but think its doubtful. It would be the best way of creating a smokescreen for the real device and for keeping their competitors guessing.

In truth though, the leaks are probably legitimate simply because they are no doubt producing millions of the things to allow a quick launch. There are a few things that are still a little unexplained I think and I'd be surprised if we knew everything about the phone. I'll be avoiding MR for a while if there's a lot of disappointment about - the site is going to be fully of whinging and generally tedious threads.

4. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

These leaks are real. Every year the iPhone is leaked. Last year only iPhone 4S parts leaked but people were so insistent on a redesign they kept believing another would show up magically during the keynote, and it didn't.

There is a massive supply chain in operation right now to prepare and stockpile tens of millions of iPhones so that they can be launched en masse just one week after the announcement. When you have so many parts and so many suppliers, things get out.

Also, if you believe the leaks are deliberate, they very well may be. I guarantee you most major app developers are thinking about how to make their apps ready for the new aspect ratio and display. Apple needed to figure out a way to give devs a heads up without actually revealing the whole thing, and I think this was the best compromise on how to do it. It's no mistake the new resolution already made its way into xCode.

5. mantan, Sep 9, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2012

mantan macrumors 68000

What would be the point???

To provide a 'gotcha' to a few diehard Apple fans when they drop the curtain and provide something 'magical'?

Apple knows they will sell a ton of these no matter what they roll out. So why go through the charade of leaking some parts out just to 'fool' everyone in the end?

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes, we're going to get one new "I am skeptical" thread each day until Sept 12th :rolleyes:

----------

Exactly. Ask a random iPhone user who's not a member of this forum if they've seen the leaked photos and they'll probably say no. It's not like they're all over the LA or NY Times.

Time for people here to get out of their nerd house.