I am selling an item on craigslist and was wondering...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Oct 31, 2012.

1. waloshin, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012

waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Are these two responses were scams?

A) I am interested in buying the item. For a Quick sale, I'll pay$350 for the item and $150 for shipping through the CANADA POST International Parcel™ (Air).I will pay you with my paypal account.soPlease reply as soon as possible with your paypal account or send request for payment from your Paypal account so you can make payment to you immediately. I await your response
    Thanks

B) Thanks for your reply i really need to buy this for my cousin schooling outside the country as a gift. I have been trying to buy this on eBay but its so very stressful buying i will offer you $450 including the shipping cost, i will be paying through PayPal because i have a verified account with PayPal. get back with you PayPal email address and the full name on it so i can make payment into your PayPal account.once payment clears.get back to me if my approval is granted.i would like to see the picture and also the condition which the item is please

Await your response soon

Thanks

Funny thing is they are different people.
    And I am only selling the item for $350, but option A) would send and extra $150 and option B) would offer an extra $100 plus shipping.

2. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

DON'T DO IT!

Those people stalk the CL ads like the vultures that they are, and are always bombing you with emails and texts, trying to buy your item for their mythical loved one who lives in a different city/country, and they ALWAYS offer to buy via PayPal, in an attempt to give you the false illusion that you're conducting safe business.

Google "Craigslist PayPal Scam" and you'll see plenty of articles regarding this. If I sell on CL, it's always a meet-up in person, in a very public place, and preferably bring someone with me. And I always specify in my ad that I will not ship the item anywhere and that somewhat helps keep these scammers away.

3. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Yeah that is what I was thinking. Though if they want the item shipped to the US wouldn't I have paypal protection. And if that fails wouldn't I have the receipt for shipping the item? And if that fails couldn't I claim insurance with the postal office?

4. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

5. SporkLover macrumors 6502

This breaks much of the common sense tests that CL says to avoid. Check out their own advice:

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/about/scams

6. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

There are several variations of the scam. Most of the time it doesn't involve you shipping out the item. They just take your email and send you some very legitimate-looking emails from a mythical PayPal and end up taking your private information, or keep alleging that the funds have been added to the account. Or they can be using hacked/stolen accounts and that becomes really messy, when trying to sort it out with the authorities and financial institutions. Or they can just say that you shipped them a box full of rocks and robbed them and then the real PayPal just takes the money from you anyway and refunds the "victim" for the "rocks" that you sent them. They keep the money they originally put in your account AND the product. In summary: SHIP NOTHING

7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

you'll receive a fake email from paypal telling you that payment has been received.........paypal will never get any money from the scammer (so forget about any "paypal protection")

you'll be told that the scammer has "sent" you an overpayment for shipping and then they'll request that you send money to reimburse them for the overpayment......and that money is what they're really after

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

The only way to do business on CL as far as I'm concerned.

9. Xavier macrumors 68020

A good rule of thumb with craigslist is to always remain local. As said above, do not do any transactions on PayPal and do not ship.