I am sick of violence in games

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by jackshiels, Jan 28, 2008.

?

Too Much?

1. Yay

31 vote(s)
    26.5%
  2. Nay

86 vote(s)
    73.5%
  1. jackshiels macrumors newbie

Seriously, it is impossible to get a shooter these days that isn't 18+ - Haze, Timesplitters, army of two, kayne and lynch, Unreal Tournament 3, the club... The list goes on and on. When are they going to take a break from supergory gaming?

They are killing (no pun intended) a market worth billions by making next gen consoles only really suitable for 30-something gamers - please, hear my plead and create something less bloodthirsty, developers of the world!

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Please add a poll option.

'It Depends on the game and context'...

For example Unreal Tournament 3 whilst violent is in context is a frag competition set in the future where you do not actually kill a person as they are regenerated each round. It's merely a case of scoring more 'hits'. It doesn't say feel as grotesquely violent as other games or even GOW also by epic.

The biggest problem for me is where the violence is merely there to cover massive fundamental gameplay flaws. Violence taken to the 9th degree just so that it masks a thoroughly average at best game.

Games like Kane & Lynch, Manhunt 2 where even given the context of the game, it is apparent that the developers had really only one thing in mind. To cause controversy and to make their game more violent than anything else on the market.

In that sense YES I am totally sick of those games. They offer what seems to me to be nothing other than very juvenile thrills to people who really should know better (and if they don't it's probably because they are pre-pubescent and shouldn't be playing the M rated game anyway)...

I had a look at my games collection the other day and yes whilst there are a lot of shooters and action games which do have a fair amount of violence of one description or another, these for me are often the ones that I get the most bored with and end up sitting on the shelf after maybe only an hour or two of gameplay.

Games which I play and have played most often and have invested most time in - actually tend to be non violent such as Clubhouse Games, Tetris, Brainage, Lumines, Mercury, Animal Crossing, Pikmin, Viva Pinata etc..

3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It's overdone. There is far too much focus on the FPS genre. Ask "What games should I buy for 360?" and immediately everyone's going to recommend Halo 3, Call of Duty 3 and 4, etc...same on PS3. The FPS genre is overcrowding everything else.

I'd be far more interested in a story-driven game like Uncharted than a "run through and shoot everyone with guns" game like your typical FPS. I'd be much more interested in a fighter-plane game (Warhawk, Rogue Squadron, etc) than an FPS. Platformers like Super Mario Galaxy. Why do people buy so many FPS games? I don't know. I can't understand it.

Then there are games that do nothing but try to push violence. Personally, the overdone-violence-games bug me (Manhunt, GTA). I can't enjoy them.

I much prefer stylized, unrealistic violence to games where you realistically injure someone. Yet games where people are realistically killed and injured are growing ever more popular, and in my mind this is unappealing- I don't get why people like it so much.

I've been doubly ticked off by the "Buy Manhunt and No More Heroes just because they're M rated and the Wii needs more M rated games!" crowd. I can understand buying NMH because it seems to be a decent game, but somehow people buy it just because of the M rating as if it somehow makes it better. Why does the M rating make something better? I don't know, but I see that it does to the general american public, especially teenagers.

EXACTLY.

My favorite games are stuff like Super Mario Galaxy, Shadow of the Colossus, Kingdom Hearts, Zelda, Metroid (shooter, but exploration-based, violence is unrealistic), Elite Beat Agents, Guitar Hero III, Super Smash Bros, Burnout (violent, but not realistic; overstylized car crashes), etc.

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

That statement holds a lot of power....you can't expect to find no violence in a FPS genre, it wouldn't sell or the reality(this is what they go for these days) would be completely nay.

There are a few games that take it to the maximum(Manhunt2, Postal) hell even the platformers have a little violence(not blood/gore but still a form of it) in it but I tend to sway in the middle...not too gory and not too kiddy.

There are a lot of games where the involement of blood/gore is less and there not that hard to find...If you feel strong about it just don't support the game.

Bless

5. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

It isn't just a problem in the FPS genre. There are large groups of people that buy anything with Mario attached to it (I love mario games but some of these are real stinkers). There is also the Madden Insert-Year-Here group.

The problem is it takes a lot of time and money to get a good story into the game. It's like how most of the movies out there are junk.

6. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I personally don't care either way. I have a few shooters that I enjoy, I don't think they are too violent for the age group that they are aimed at. However I do scoff at the irresponsible parents that allow their children to be babysat by their 360, or any other gaming console. I'm sure if any of you have been online in a FPS the majority of the troublemakers are nasally sounding pre-teen/early teen children that never should have gotten the game in the first place. I would be willing to bet that Live is a substitute/primary babysitter for some irresponsible parents, and it would most likely be these parents that complain about the violence and how it affects their children/family/etc.

I have seen companies take it too far, there needs to be a balance between creative realism and gratuitous violence and gore. This is why I enjoy a good Japanese horror flix, most of them take the time to psychologically envolve you and freak you out without the use of much blood and gore, its creative and it takes a lot more raw talent to pull that off than to just spew blood and gore on to a screen to make a lackluster series like say Hostel.

In the end its in the eye of the beholder, I feel they are fine for the age group they are intended for, however on the flipside I think more is needed to educate parent on why they shouldnt just go out and buy their 12 year old Halo 3.

As far as not selling enough, these late 20 to 30 somethings grew up on video games. They usually have moderate to high incomes, are college educated, and some are raising kids themselves, what better crowd to market to. Children while a big part of the industry are limited by their parents wallets and how much they feel they want to give to their childs gaming allowance. The gaming industry would be missing out on more profit than they are now with M games if they stopped making violent games and stuck to My Little Pony in Princess Land.

Ed

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

TBH though Mario's had a fairly good track record. There's the Mario Party games (I can not begin to understand why these still sell, they release the same mediocre game every year), but other than that, most of the Mario sports games are decent and few of them get sequels, and every Mario platformer has been gold (they only release one every five years- 64, Sunshine, Galaxy).

Madden is in the same boat as Mario Party.

YAY PONYZ!

I'm not against M rated games being made, but rather, games being M rated as a gimmick to sell it based on overdone violence. A la Manhunt 2.

8. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Some of the best games I've played, were made on a budget that any publisher/developer now days would sneeze on. These were games made buy just one guy, or a small group. Story telling has not been lost to time and money, it's been lost to programmers and graphic whores that favor things like realism over actual substance.

I also noticed that publishers/developers seem to consider their target audience stupid, so even on the supposed mature level games, they write dialogue as an adult trying to think like a 12 year old, unfortunately they miss the mark and usually end up on borderline retarded.

Anyway, there will always bee more crap than actual good, this is nothing new, but fortunately there are still a few gems out their worth watching/playing, it's just seems harder to find them these days.

<]=)

9. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Mario Party is something me and my friends revisit on each new release. It's a good way to kill a few weekends. Overall they're are mediocre -- especially the later releases, but I can say that MP4 got more play than Halo amongst my friends.

Think of these games like a Super Bowl party, it's just another excuse to get together and drink. :eek:

<]=)

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Unfortunately bad example as although Uncharted has some great adventure and story sections, its probably 65% "run through and shoot everyone with guns" and I'm struggling to find the energy or desire to play on as it's getting tedious.

11. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Where did I say that a good game with a good story couldn't be made with one person? It would just take a lot of time (as I said) and money (as I said).

And you sort of proved my point about some games dumbing their stories down. It is easy to dumb the story down. It is hard to make a story that is both accessible and interesting.

So again, I didn't say that a good game with good story has to be made by giant companies. It can't be made by people making shovelware, though (which again isn't just giant companies).

12. kabunaru Guest

Agreed. Too much violence in games these days. :(

13. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

but... the idea of shooting people SHOULD be a mature game. I don't want some 12 year old kid playing a shooter period... unless it's like watergun shooter or something. What would make an acceptable shooter for young people? no blood? but you are still shooting someone.

14. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

To be fair, the idea of a shooter in itself is pretty violent, so I'm not shocked to see the games we have.

But their are tons of non violent games....

15. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I wasn't disagreeing with you, my response was just a general comment from my experience, because you of left things open.

<]=)

16. chadrob30 macrumors 6502

chadrob30

I find it hilarious that people are griping about the violence in shooting games. (not necessarily on this site) :rolleyes:

17. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I don't mind it for kids if the weapons don't remotely resemble real guns. I liked Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force back in the day (Quake 3 engine, but completely stylized; opponents vaporize or shatter when defeated, for example, and most opponents were aliens and robots).

A game like Ratchet and Clank, for example, can be enjoyed by all ages.

18. jackshiels thread starter macrumors newbie

Not all shooting is bad, who hasn't played cops and robbers as a kid? It's just the gratuitous violence I dislike. I would really like to get an FPS for my PS3, but they are pretty much all horrifically violent. I guess I'm going to have to wait until fracture comes out this summer...

19. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Games like Metroid Prime on the Wii aren't remotely as violent. The monster simply fade away, or explode. It's sort of a FPS, but combined with a platformer to a small degree. I had lots of fun with this game. Just bringing it up if you have the inkling for a shooter, of course you would need a Wii. :)

I feel the same way about gratuitous violence. I avoided games like Resident Evil 4 on the Cube, because I thought it was more of the same -- that and I can not stand aiming a gun with my thumb. But I'm glad my friend pushed me to play it and that Capcom decided to make a Wii version that used the Wiimote for aiming, because this game has turned out to be one of my favorites.

<]=)

20. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i'm not that sick of violence per se it's more the "violence for the sake of violence" kinda thing which is annoying

after all i'm one of those who think it's a perfectly fine strategy to use peasants in wide formation running around to get enemy bow units use their precious arrows in Medieval II or in close formation to simply make the enemy tired so my own (expensive) Knights break them down easier

it's the "1 super hero machine gunning through thousands of dumb grunts" mechanics i'm a little bit tired of

anybody remembering Operation Flashpoint ... from 2001 ? gritty, _painfully_ realistic and awesome story telling and yet it's hard to get games close to it without your character being some sort of super hero like special forces kinda guy ...

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah same here. When a game has no other discernible feature/quality to serve other than to be purposely violent.... what we can probably call the RockStar gaming philosophy of game making.

22. takao macrumors 68040

takao

well rockstar's initial over the top approach style was quite good (i really liked GTA2 with it's online playing) but GTA3 was quite a let down for me

and for shooters i think part of the reason i became so tired of it is that it really has become stale with all those games which are nearly identical... while looking fantastic though
    shooters have to take a few steps back again ... shoot less and think more should be the new design rule... they should definatly evolve into more something like "first person adventures" where you have small shooting parts but also have parts where you do things differently

or it should have an effect on characters in the game more depending on how you fight (tried before but in action games mostly fails short)

something which i found really inspiring about Medieval II was how they made the choice about what happens with prisoners you caught in battle ... you can hover over the buttons and would hear voices pleading for mercy, saying that they will pay etc. and how it affects your in game characters

if you are mercyless you get a high dread rating (opposed to chivalry) and thus your general might be able to fear away enemy forces faster... on the downside you character will get more prone to other "not so nice " characteristics like madness and you are less likely to get stuff like Templer houses etc.
    (and that is just the tip of the iceberg.... funny how a strategy game has more _dynamic_ character development than most RPGs out there)

23. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Exactly, this is why I loved System Shock and now RE4. They're both fpAs, even Metroid fits this description. SS was definitely the quintessential game in my experience, that fit these descriptions. It limited the ammo to a point that I had to carefully think my every step and really put me on my nerves end -- I really felt like I was accomplishing something. It also helped that if I died, it often meant redoing an entire area, instead of re-spawning with uberness right next to the thing that just killed me. I also like that it incorporated different types of ammo, this was important, since ammo was sparse and using armor piercing on a bio was a waste. I really wish these newer games would incorporate this. It would have made RE4 -- already a great game -- even better.

<]=)

24. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I think that we are now reaching a point where the video gaming demographic has clearly broken out of the sub-18 year-old...it's been that way for some time. Video games reflect their consumers' preferences, and violence in video games should not be treated differently from violence in any media.

Parents need to realize that video games are not just toys for kids anymore...

25. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I'm definitely not a fan of violence in video games, and violence for the sake of violence is just stupid and ridiculous. I can't stand the Grand Theft Auto series just for that reason.

The most violent game in my gaming library is probably Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition. This is a fun game, and there is definitely blood (what with exploding heads and all), but what makes it so much fun is the suspense. The freakiest part of that game was looking down the scope of your rifle and happening upon the glowing eyes and dark outline of a wolf baring it's teeth! It made me jump and my wife let out a tiny yelp!

Great game. :)