I am so confused...what is TRIM and what can I do with it? I have an SSD...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Texxy, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Texxy macrumors 6502

Texxy

Hey guys I just installed my OWC 120GB SSD into my 2011 MBP and I keep seeing threads saying "TRIM enabled on SSD...better performance." What is TRIM and how do I "enable" it exactly? :confused:

Thank you!

2. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Trim

If you did even a modest search you would know what trim does generally, without getting totally specific. I think this forum needs a separate category for people who are just looking for the easiest way to get a fast answer.

3. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Texxy, you've got a SSD with a Sandforce controller in it. What that means is the garbage collection features are significantly above average and you really don't need to worry about TRIM. Well, 95% of users with Sandforce controllers in Mac won't need to. If you notice your SSD drops, say, virtually all of its performance you might need to start worrying about it. In the meantime, move on. Nothing to see here. :)

4. Texxy thread starter macrumors 6502

Texxy

Alright well thank you...still do not really understand what it does :confused: Just speeds up like the cache of it?

5. neenja macrumors 6502

People like you are what make great forums turn to crap. You do realize that this is a message board right? People are allowed to ask questions. Some find it more comforting and possibly even easier to understand when it is explained and not something you read on a wiki.

Telling someone to "use the search function or google it" just because they need an answer is just rude.

6. Randomrandomguy macrumors newbie

Not quite :)

In simplistic terms TRIM is a command type which the operating system sends to the SSD once a files have been deleted, letting the SSD know that those areas on the disk are now empty and shouldn't be included in garbage collection activities.

TRIM doesn't speed up your drive, what it does is stop your drive from getting slower over time.

It's something that was discovered with the first generation of SSDs (which didn't have TRIM), that over time as the SSD was used more and more, performance degradation would occur. TRIM is there to stop that from happening and keep your drive performing optimally.

For TRIM to be enabled it needs to be supported by the firmware version of the SSD as well as the operating system version you're running.

TRIM can work differently from one device to another, it all depends how the firmware has been written to behave once it receives the TRIM command.

Hope this helps :)

7. Modernape macrumors regular

An OWC support technician told me that they advise NOT to enable TRIM with their drives, as the Garbage Collection the Sandforce controller does is very efficient - so having the OS also trying to do the same thing can negatively impact performance.

8. Texxy thread starter macrumors 6502

Texxy

Thank you to both of you! :)

9. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

I think it's a valid question.

At least he's not asking us whether he should trade in his Air for a Pro or an iPad.

10. Randomrandomguy macrumors newbie

Hmmm that seems odd... TRIM doesn't replace garbage collection, the idea is that they work hand in hand.