I am so mad and I need to vent. Don't worry it is related to iMacs.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Hamoodi, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Hamoodi macrumors member

I had a problem with my iMac but got it fixed with Apple Tech Support. But my computer randomly shut off twice yesterday for no reason. So i felt safe going back to best buy with the warranty I purchased from them to get a new iMac. But when I get there the stupid Geek Squad people, sad excuse for Tech Support, told me they needed to keep my computer for 4 DAYS, and do tests. I was like WTF tests take 4 DAYS! Then he said oh your computer appears fine. I bought a $170 ******* warranty for this exact purpose and they are gonna weasel there way out of it. They refused to give me a new iMac in an exchange. But thats not what really made me mad. Before this iMac I had another one but a small red bug crawled through the speaker, different story, and got trapped behind the glass. CRAZY RIGHT? But BB gave me a new one! But this one they refused too! I am sorry I just needed to vent realllllyyy badly. I am very careful with my stuff, especially from Apple. I was infuriated. They guy was trying to use my iMac keyboard but was too stupid to know how to open the battery slot. He effectively scratched that with a penny trying to get his grubby hands to open it. They treated the customer like garbage. He dropped my Mouse and Keyboard multiple times. When I got home I cleaned both of them vigorously. Sorry for the long post :mad:

2. MR.Raul macrumors member

MR.Raul

Hard to get good help now a days.
    If you're within the 30 days of purchase (or what they have in that store), just demand a new one, or money back and get a new one.
    But with that extra warranty, they should give a better service.
    Got to love people that's not careful with ones things.
    That part about dropping your mouse and keyboard several times and scratching it, just made me laugh, cause I can just see myself getting really annoyed by that as well.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Small red bug? Perhaps it's an exterminator that you need.

4. Hamoodi thread starter macrumors member

lol ikr. Made me pissed.

5. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

You mad bro?

;) calm down, you cannot deal with such issues with such rage.

6. Hamoodi thread starter macrumors member

Lol yea I really was madbro. Lol I was really mad, I of course did not flip at said stupid man at Geek squad, but I was really mad when I left. They do not treat a customer like that! ;)

7. kurzz macrumors 6502

kurzz

I definitely understand the need to vent.

I had a similar experience at Best Buy but it was with a TV. I'm usually a mild-mannered and quiet person but I couldn't believe the BS they were giving me so I flipped out and they gave me a new TV to calm me down.

Now before you judge me, I flipped out because the store manager refused to give me a replacement TV even when their corporate customer service directed me to come get one. I had to use MY cell phone and get corporate to speak to the manager directly. The nerve.

Anyway, that was many years ago. ;)

8. Hamoodi thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply! Some people just didn't take it seriously! :O

9. Focker macrumors member

best buy sucks. I can't stand the people that work at the one by me. Clueless idiots

10. Hamoodi thread starter macrumors member

I know! If you asked what is the difference between these two laptops, they would have too read the card next to it and probably get someone else to help you...who guess what? Does not know either! Vicious cycle haha :D

11. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

Just another reason to think twice when you're looking for the best deal out there. Best Buy sucks. If you brought it into Apple, you would not have had that type of experience no question about it.

You get what you pay for.

12. Hamoodi thread starter macrumors member

I know! Best Buy is wayyyy closer than the Apple Store. But I know next time I will walk into the Apple store and not the ****** Best Buy! I was seething when I left the Best Buy for 2 reasons. The way I was treated and why I wasted $170 on a warranty that was complete BS.

13. -y0- macrumors 6502

-y0-

14. Hamoodi thread starter macrumors member

ik lol

15. Contiguous macrumors member

You get a great warranty and good service through Apple. There's no need to get the Best Buy warranty (on pretty much anything there...if you're buying it with a credit card, you're covered.) I guess you'll have to chalk this one up as a learning experience.

16. skier777 macrumors 6502

17. Hamoodi thread starter macrumors member

Yea I guess I will have to use this as a learning experience. I will never again EVER buy anything from the sad excuse of a store known as Worst Buy. But thank God my Mac seems ok now. I just hope it was a glitch that will never happen again!

18. -y0- macrumors 6502

-y0-

I just get angry when I read about someone getting screwed over by them. Most of the people that work there have no clue what they're talking about lol.

19. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I used to work for Best Buy awhile ago. Heres what happens when a computer is brought in:

If the problem cannot be duplicated on the spot, they have absolutely no choice but to run tests on the machine. Any place will do this be it Best Buy, corporate tech support, etc. Its almost impossible to fix a machine if the problem cannot be reproduced.

That being said its not the people in the store (most likely) who are testing your machine anyway, its "Agent Johnny Utah" aka people in India who remote in to your machine and work on it. I'm not kidding, thats what its called and its basically a massive KVM switch with a bunch of ethernet cords so you plug the machines in and you can switch between them and see what the people in India are doing to your computer.

Also, if your machine was outside the return period which on computers when I worked there was 14 days (I think, I didn't work in the store often I drove the bug around) then the geek squad guys have no choice but to take it in for repairs. If they can't repair it in store it gets sent to the service center. If it can't be repaired there it is replaced.

I know it sounds like "****** service" and sometimes it can be, but when you get 15 - 30 machines a day coming in with only 2 or 3 geek squad guys thats a lot of work. Best Buy wanted to send geek squad guys onto the sales floor to sell more services instead of having them fix machines, hence why the turn around time is much longer since the machines are required to be hooked up to Agent Johnny Utah. Its sucks for the geek squad guys, its a lose lose.

Everyone does. For $9 an hour and no commission the sales people aren't going to memorize every single model on the floor. They will know the terms and such and be able to usually point you to the best deal but memorizing every spec on every item especially when they change so fast is impossible, hence the tags.

Flipping out is the worst thing to do. Its extremely rare if it gets you anywhere and everyone at the store simply makes fun of you when you leave. This is the case everywhere and in most cases, if you flip out, you won't get the help you could have gotten. Nice people get a lot more help and extras than mean people any day. I understand in your case it was a bit different but I was just saying that for anyone else who may try something similar.

Also not everyone on Geek Squad is bad. Many of us used it as a stepping stone while in college to land corporate IT jobs out of college, and it worked for me and a few others I know.

20. sbb155 macrumors 6502

our business has had similar problems with applecare... dont think that this is limited to best buy. the "geniuses" are not all interested in helping.

anyway, i wish you the best of luck. all extended warranties are cash cows for the sellers.

21. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The Moral

Of this sad and annoying tale is " always buy from apple" I always have, and they have always given me first class service. You really don't save much by buying elsewhere.

As for your particular situation....I would take it back, remain calm, explain to a manager, not a spotty faced kid, that your Mac is faulty, therefore not fit for purpose, and that you want either a new replacement, or a full refund.

If you remain calm but stand your ground they will cave, they have to.

If you get a refund, buy from Apple next time.

22. DJJAZZYJET macrumors 6502

if they dropped and scratched your keyboard and mouse you, aswell as giving you shoddy customer support AND they replaced one imac with a red bug in it but not this one, you should file complaints and get them to give you a new one. you have warranty, you shouldn't let them weasel their way out of it.

23. ZipZap macrumors 601

Why does everyone assume they get a new computer when they report an issue?

If you really want better treatment, buy from apple. Apple makes money, best buy does not. Apple is more inclined to do the right thing regardless of cost. Best Buy has to convince Apple to take back a unit that does not exhibit an problem.

24. DJJAZZYJET macrumors 6502

well said, buying from apple is they best way.

25. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

You have a right to get a full refund for your warranty and item within 14 days (or 30 days dependent on shop); so, just walk in and ask them to give you a refund - they have no choice but to accept and refund it; then you can buy it from a Apple Store, if you still want to.