I am so sick of this weak wifi since 2.0! Could be an easy fix for Apple.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Aug 12, 2008.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Ever since I upgraded my iPhone/iPod touch/Girlfriend's iPod touch, we cannot connect to nearly as many wifi hotspots because the iPhone/iPod touch doesn't SEE them anymore! I used to be able to see a few different networks from my house and now I only see mine. I also used to be able to connect to a wifi network at work while I was in the bathroom and I it won't see that anymore unless I walk outside... even when I get outside, I get only 1 bar.

Here's my idea for Apple to fix the problem. They should just have a toggle setting in the Wifi control panel that says "increase Wi-Fi Sensitivity" and below it have a warning "Increasing the Wi-Fi Signal Sensitivity may dramatically reduce battery life." It sucks to not have wifi in a lot of places anymore.

Note: There could also be a setting for EDGE, but I have no idea how the EDGE reception was in 1.1.4 because my I got my iPhone after 2.0 was released.

Any thoughts on this? Yes, I've tried restoring and setting it up as a new phone. It doesn't make a difference. I know it's a software issue because I have an iPod touch and so does my girlfriend and we could see more hotspots at a time with 1.1.4.

2. slidetounlock macrumors regular

I really haven't had wifi issues, but have you had anything perhaps a case, that may be limiting your wifi??? Also, has anything changed in the environment around you, like some walls in the way or the router may have moved and the antennas are blocked???

Have you tried a reset or restore, has that helped???

3. SleepyHead157 macrumors regular

I noticed that as well with my 3g wi fi reception. Even though the 3g is plastic backing, it still doesn't help with the reception. I used to pick up random wi fi spots around my house besides mine. Also whenever i try to use it at starbucks, it takes longer than the first gen did

4. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I have the same WiFi reception on my two white phones as I did with the three old iPhones I owned. No problems here and my WiFi is one floor up from me most of the time.

5. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Absolutely nothing has changed for me. I use no cases and the problem started at the same time as the 2.0 update. I noticed it right away. 2.0.1 didn't help. Also, if it's not a software problem, then how do you explain my girlfriend's iPod touch, my iPod touch and my iPhone all having the same problem? I also reset my network settings too.

6. Carpe Deez macrumors member

7. danny_w macrumors 601

If it worked before, what difference would that make? I have had fantastic luck with Linksys routers (but not so good with Apple routers...).

8. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I get wi-fi just fine at my house on MY network (Airport Extreme) but, I can no longer see the networks: "Damnit", "Linksys" and "McGuigon". At work I get "Belkin_Wireless_N" but it's off and on.

The one room in the plant where I used to be able to connect to Belkin_Wireless_N, I got FULL bars when in that room on 1.1.4. Now in the same room, I get 1 bar and the connection drops off if I move the wrong way. The sensitivity settings in the firmware definitely changed in 2.0.

9. danny_w macrumors 601

I certainly agree that something changed. I don't get anywhere near as good signal strength as I did at home or at work (both are Linksys routers). I have an AEBS at home also but keep it set to n-only mode. so of course my iPhone can't see it.

10. dandog96 macrumors newbie

Dany

Dude, I am so annoyed of this problem :mad: ditto I agree... wi-fi sucks now. Its been eversince I upgraded to 2.0 and it still happens on 2.0.1. I think it is like a powersaver mode or something. Well HEEELLLPPP:confused:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    :apple: Ipod Touch 8 gig
    "A hot wife is just like in Ipod Touch....both are good when theyre touched in a special way." -roland383

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I've been at the University of California, Berkeley campus and connected with their WiFi; and I've been at the San Francisco State University campus and connected with their WiFi as well, have found them to be up to par with my previous v1 iPhone. Both campuses also have strong 3G coverage as well, but from the sounds of this thread many 3G'ers aren't receiving WiFi coverage like they previously received. My AT&T DSL 3.0 is performing quite well, with full connectivity and I'm running my MBP at the same time, while hooked-up to my magicjack phone line, so I'm bewildered... Sorry, I'm sure I'm no help whatsoever. :confused:

12. dandog96 macrumors newbie

13. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Please don't bump threads. I've gotten in trouble for doing that once. Anyways, I wish Wifi was back to the way it was in 1.1.4. I could connect almost anywhere I was... now it's really difficult.

On a side note: I tried jailbreaking my iPhone 2.0.1 the other day and the first time I turned Wifi on, I saw ALL the networks I used to see... then they quickly disappeared and I was back to only seeing mine. Hmmm.

14. shinenjk macrumors regular

I'm sick of it also. It's got the weakest sensitivity out of all 3 of my gadgets at home - my desktop, macbook pro, and this phone.

It's understandable because it's such a small item but yea, it picks up like ONE Wifi in my room when my MBP & the desktop can each pick up about 10+. C'mon now.