I am surprised at apple's ability of keeping things secret.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gothamm, Feb 11, 2008.

1. gothamm macrumors 6502a

how many employees does apple have? how does word not get out about each and every future product. take the macbook air....so many people must have worked on it and how the heck did word not get out :rolleyes: also take the new mbp productions, for instance. how many people do you think are involved in the process? they must be highly, highly compartmentalized because i am surprised that leaks do not occur more often.

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

It's easy to keep secrets if you keep people uninformed. The store owners don't know what's in the boxes they receive, and the underpaid Chinese workers don't particularly care when putting the laptops together. The only folks with the positioning and incentive to know are well-paid and well-motivated to keep mum. Not terribly hard to do.

3. TantalizedMind macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

4. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

apple employees can't say anything if they don't know about it...the ones who do are paid VERY well to keep their mouths shut...would you risk that job by opening your mouth?

5. gothamm thread starter macrumors 6502a

its kind of hard for a factory line worker to not notice that he/she is putting screws in a .16 inch aluminum enclosure ;)

6. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

that's very true...i did not even really think about that...maybe they get a free one to keep their mouths shut:p

7. swmr macrumors regular

swmr

Everybody has a different personality but if I was helping out with designs or production or anything really, I would enjoy knowing what is coming when nobody else does. Plus, I'm sure they get them first, possibly before release date. Steve might have a new MBP on his desk right now pinch-zooming pictures as we speak. Sometimes you just trust the people you hire.

8. heatmiser macrumors 68020

What motivation would one have to spill the beans? These are people in low, low, low wage jobs slaving over machines for hours a day. It's basically flipping burgers to them; no meaning whatsoever. If you're making the equivalent of a dollar a day or thereabouts working on a machine you wouldn't be able to afford on a year's salary, what difference would it make to you what it was called, how thin it was, or when it would be released?

9. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

There are plenty of large companies out there that are more secretive than Apple.

10. gothamm thread starter macrumors 6502a

cool point. But it only takes one to spill the beans. plus there can definitely be motivations. appleinsider and 9to5mac come to mind. i bet those sites would pay a big bug to get inside info.

11. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

if there chinese workers then there getting a lot more that $1 a day, the thai workers were i was were getting 7000 baht a month with 70 baht to the £ (2$) they can afford if they say up to get these things as many of them did have nice clothes, mobile phones, nice apartments and motorbikes plenty food, more than one tv and cable. Now we also had a chinese worker i was friends with and he told me the base wages that are pretty common in his area. its about the same as the thai wage for the first years work slowly going up-to twice that for good workers over 5 years.

12. tennisplaayer11 macrumors member

A big...bug? I would get really creeped out if someone tried to give me a huge spider for telling them an Apple secret.

13. Mikebuzzsaw macrumors 6502

You cant even frequent macrumors if you work for an apple store. You'll be fired.

14. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Urban legend. You just aren't allowed to post (officially) on these boards when you're under contract or under a trailing NDA. You're welcome to read as much as you like :)

Lots of people do, though.

15. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

this is correct. you're allowed to visit and read as much as you want. just not post.

16. southerndoc macrumors 6502a

southerndoc

Apple probably follows the same philosophy used by the CIA and other members of the intelligence community. You have most people doing work that is fragmented, so they can't see the forest because they are only working on one tree. A few people in the upper echelon can see the forest because they compile all the data gathered by the employees.

It's the old time trick of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.

17. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i believe there was a story a few weeks back that basically said that this is how the iPhone was put together.

18. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

:confused: we knew about the macbook air about 3 days before it was released...

19. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

lol :)

and the new nanos, and a phoneless iphone, and numerous other products

20. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

this is true, but we actually have the real name of it didnt know it was going to be called ipod touch until release day

21. thefamousgrouse macrumors newbie

Well if Squeeks says there won't be an update...

Squeeks, would you mind substantiating your claim that there won't be an update until June? Why even bother posting - is it just to piss people off?

One thing we do know is that Apple has been consistent with, if nothing else, updating the Macbook Pro line with current processors. So IF NOTHING ELSE the MBP will see a bump to Penryn on Santa Rosa prior to Montevina in May/June. It's either that, or 4 more months of having MB and MBP with no processor differential - an entirely unsustainable scenario.

So why claim that there won't be any update until June?

22. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

ill make my sig whatever i want as long as the site gods dont care

you're talking about me pissing people off, how about that people like me that are getting pissed at the countless threads of people whining that there isnt an update yet

because there most likely will not be, you might think im trying to piss people off...but i really dont believe there will be an update for at least the next 3-4 months

23. MYRZ macrumors member

Unlike popular belief...

Why do you think so then?:confused:

24. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

because they just added the 2.6 and 320gb option, why bother doing that if you're going to update the machine again in 2-3 months?

it just dosent make much sense

NOW

had it NOT been for that update, then heck yes i'd be right along with yall wondering where the update is

25. f1 macrumors 6502

I worked for Apple for four years and never in my four years was I or any other colleague of mine ever informed of any new product releases.