I am surprised no mention of 10 Year Anniversary on Apple.com

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GadgetGeek407, Jun 29, 2017.

1. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

Usually Apple always puts milestones on their page, this is a huge one to say the least and no mention, why do you think?

2. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Probably because it's an artificial milestone rather than an accomplishment.

3. GadgetGeek407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

true but one that changed the world

4. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

I agree, especially the fact that iphones are like 70% of their total sales, and it doesnt hurt anyone to make a special mention and at the same time for steve jobs

5. macbookguy macrumors regular

macbookguy

It would have been nice but Apple doesn’t normally celebrate these things. Positive note is that about every other website is celebrating :)

6. Yakibomb macrumors 6502

Yakibomb

I think the only time they'll really give it a mention is when the iPhone "8" is released

7. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

But if someone unrelated to apple passes, they get their own page .. ppl die everyday, so it's not too far fetched they feel that the apple community is looking forward to the ten year date .. I can imagine it feels weird ignoring it.

8. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Because they are saving it for the new iPhone announcement?
    I mean why making it a huge deal now, taking a lot of the buzz away when they announce the new iPhone.

9. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I'm sure the mention is being saved for the iPhone 8 launch. Apple enjoys showing how far things have come (for example, comparing the 2016 MacBook Pro to the original 1990 PowerBook last year), and it's a good marketing strategy I think.

10. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

If you look back and to the best of my knowledge, Apple has not celebrated or acknowledged other anniversary products either on their website, especially one's like the iMac/Apple I or Apple II, which defined this Company making computers. The iPhone likely falls in this situation, but likely will have a special presentation during the Fall Keynote.

11. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Fair enough, and while I agree .. they've made a few statements in the past and they're quite proud of the product that honestly saved the company and was a (and i quote them on it) revolution.

I think it's not unreasonable to think 'ten year anniversary iphone release' vs 'exactly on this date'. But yeah, I was kind of expecting some tweet or something. I even expected samsung to try and release the note 7 again just today

12. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Tim Cook has Tweeted before in the past, but I believe for an iPhone launch or Apple Watch launch.

13. redheeler, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2017

redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I seemed to recall this nifty iMac timeline. Sure enough, it was there.
    iMac-Timeline.png
    https://web.archive.org/web/20121025030722/http://www.apple.com/imac/design/

Edit: This actually proves the point that Apple waits until major new product launches so that an old vs new comparison can be made. In this case it was the 2012 thin iMacs.

14. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Which is why indicated they likely will make some presentation in the new facility about the iPhone 8 and it's upbringing. That said, it makes sense if they were to demo some form of Generation of the iPhone history.

15. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I beginning to think there will not be an iPhone 8. I read a post today which I'm more incline to believe that the anniversary iPhone will be an iPhone 7(?) with a 6.6 screen, followed by two screen sizes the iPhone 7S Plus and iPhone 7S.

16. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I'm not sure what you read. But I highly doubt there will be a 6.6 inch iPhone display. I do agree there could be an iPhone 7s with the following variants of 4.7/5.5 LED and then the 5.8 OLED model. A 6.6 inch display seems highly unlikely and I have not read many reports other than the 5.8 rumor.

17. Beenblacklisted macrumors 6502

Beenblacklisted

its just a phone dude.

18. 960design macrumors 68020

Completely agree.

This single event lead my career path from Windows based ( java ) development to Mac and iOS. I walked into the Apple store 29 Jun 2017 and picked up the first Apple product I have ever owned. Now, ten years later I have been through one Apple Watch, one MacAir, two iMacs, two Mac Minis, two Airport Extremes, three MacBook Pros and almost every iteration of the iPhone.

Thank you iPhone for enticing me just enough to learn the Mac is actually based off of UNIX ( which I have always liked ) and then falling in love with the Mac operating system and development environment.

19. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Apple claims all the speculation about the new phones hurts them because it detracts buyers from the current models.

Holding to that stance...it then becomes contrary to promote discussion by even mentioning any looming milestone.

20. GadgetGeek407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

This was beautiful and inspiring to read

21. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

I and many others could care less. It's just a phone

22. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I guess what I'm predicting based on threads here at MacRumors is that there will be no iPhone 8. Instead, there will me 3 iPhones - an iPhone 7S Mega - a larger screen size that's bezel free, followed by the obvious, 7S Plus and 7S.

23. Azzin macrumors 68040

It was the iPod that pretty much saved Apple, not the iPhone,

24. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Yeah, you're right. It's what got things started I guess.
    Screen Shot 2017-07-01 at 20.13.16.png

25. Feenician macrumors 68040

Feenician

Its 2027 already!? Man, I slept later than I thought!