I am synced to Exchange, how do I backup my calendar and contacts in case of wipe?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by djrobsd, Dec 7, 2009.

1. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

I am syncing my phone with Exchange Activesync, and my calendar and contacts are all on my desktop at work in Outlook, and on my iphone. In the event that something happened at my company (i.e. layoffs, termination, etc) how can I insure I don't loose everything in my iPhone? It's my personal iPhone, can they still do a remote wipe of my phone? All I did was add Exchange using the URL of the OWA server with my domain username and password. I am syncing email, calendar, and contacts on Exchange.

Can someone please let me know what the best way to backup my stuff is so I can easily get it back in the event of not being able to get to the Exchange server any more.

2. Richard Bleiche macrumors newbie

Richard Bleiche

Possible, but not a seamless solution

My guess is that the only way to do it is to go into Outlook, and export what you need as a comma delimited or other file type. <File menu: Import and Export: Export to a File...> and keep the file. Then you would need to properly import it again to an application that will accept such a file to then sync with your iPhone if you need that data later.

3. djrobsd thread starter macrumors 6502a

there has to be a better way to backup this stuff. ;)

4. quicksilver77 macrumors 6502

quicksilver77

Exchange keeps all that information on the server itself. Once you remove the account from the iPhone the information is no longer in "synch" with the server. Yes they can do a remote wipe as long as you have the iPhone connected to exchange. Once you remove the account I believe they cannot remote wipe it.