I am testing the AT&T Unlimited Data Loophole.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dwalls90, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Time and time again, people have been posting that since January of 2012, the loophole to obtain unlimited data was closed.

Well, I clawed through probably hundreds of threads and websites, and although they seem to agree to the fact that the loophole is closed, not a single soul seems to reference their personal experience with screenshots or how this method no longer works. It's almost as if it's a continuos trail of "rumors" that were repeated amongst forums, maybe because one person failed to implement it. Actually, a few stragglers mentioned they got it to work even after that January 2012 cut off.

That said, I bought a used iPhone 2G, and will be sure to report back with screenshots and a write up within a week. Also, I think I have a fix for any hiccups people may run into when trying to obtain unlimited data.

:apple:

2. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

3. Dwalls90 thread starter macrumors 601

Dwalls90

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1356067

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

5. nostresshere macrumors 68030

What do you mean that your "transferred my unlimited over".

Switched phones?
    Went to new account?
    New Phone number?
    Moved to a friend?

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Grandfathered on AT&T, when I preordered the 5 they allowed me to retain the unlimited plan on 4G for $30 a month, $20 cheaper than the 5GB w/ tethering (or, $10 more than 3GB).

7. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I thought that was common knowledge. If you continue to UPGRADE an exisiting line, you can keep your unlimited. Make any changes other than a new phone, and it gets lost.

8. brentsg macrumors 68040

It's also common knowledge that you get throttled when using Unlimited anyways.

9. flashflooder macrumors regular

after using 5GB, if on LTE. I'd much rather get throttled than charged for the overages.

10. brentsg macrumors 68040

I guess it depends on how much you need to use data. If you really need it, then it's better to get a usage alert so you can tweak your plan and keep moving along.

11. highertechnology macrumors 6502a

Unlimited data does continue with upgrades, for now at least.

I used 7gb last month and received the throttle message, at 6gb I was still getting 16mb/s on speedtest.net.

12. Dwalls90 thread starter macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Well, definitely can't get the plan if you contact AT&T directly. I'm hoping the iTunes activation works. My family would appreciate it if they have to stay with AT&T.

13. mo0620 macrumors regular

I already tried a week ago. It will not take you to iTunes activation screen anymore, it will just "unbrick" your iPhone 2G (Original iPhone) as soon as you connect it with iTunes.

14. Alien987 macrumors newbie

Let us know how it goes :)

Did you try with an older version of iTunes? Maybe that could work.

15. Orlandu macrumors 6502

Orlandu

You guys are missing the point of this thread. He's not trying to keep unlimited 3G when upgrading to LTE. What he is talking about is using the original iPhone (2G) to get unlimited 3G data on a line that did not previously have unlimited.

The basic run down is that you switch the line you want to the 2G iPhone, which still allows unlimited data. Using the same sim card, you start using your iPhone 3G or newer without calling to switch to the newer iPhone. It used to be that the system would send you a text that you need 3G coverage for the newer iPhone and would automatically choose the unlimited 3G plan. But there have been reports this loophole has been closed and does not put you on unlimited when their system recognizes you're using a 3G phone instead of a 2G one.

I successfully used the "dummy phone" method back in 2010. It was the same thing except you use a non-smart phone to do the switch instead of a 2G iPhone. When I tried a few months later, early 2011, it did not work for my wife's line and she is still using the 2GB data plan.

16. Applejuiced, Sep 18, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2012

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Hate to bring you the bad news but itunes doesnt activate the 2G the same way by making you pick the unlimited 2G plan any longer.
    It just activates it like any other iphone without touching the phone plan.

17. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Ah. So, why is it going to take you a week to get back to us with proof that it still exists? We wanna see it now!

18. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

true

but what he said...it saves you $20 a month.

19. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You missed the whole point of this thread.
    To use the unlimited data loophole and be grandfather in to an unlimited data plan again.

21. highertechnology macrumors 6502a

Right, I still have my first iphone, but I dont even use it as a backup in between phones.

22. CSpackler macrumors regular

CSpackler

I will try this as well on my sister's 2G line when I give her my old 4. She still has the old $20 unlimited data + 200 text plan.

Basically you cut the regular sized 2G sim card down to micro size and simply put it in the 4. Eventually the network will figure out you're not using the 2G and automatically switch your data to unlimited. As mentioned, we're not sure if this still works.

23. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I still do not get the loophole.

If you have unlimited, and get a new phone/upgrade, you still have unlimited.

And do not see where the "again" part comes in, as that means he had it, lost it, and got it again.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nobody can get it now if they dont already have it on their account.
    The OP was trying to use an old loophole that doesnt work any longer.

25. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

i read that too. but if he didn't read all those other threads you can keep your unlimited data when moving to the iphone 5 if on at&t. What loophole is he talking about then???