iPad I am thinking about upgrading to the new iPad Pro so I will stop losing my Apple Pencil.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
I am a Speech-Language Pathologist in nursing homes and home health. I have patients sign after I leave their homes and have now lost my third Apple Pencil. I own a 10.5, and a second gen 12.9. I live a very busy life with work. How good is the new magnet feature with the new iPad Pro? I have been looking for a reason to upgrade anyway so maybe this is it lol. Wife isn't happy about me having to buy another Apple Pencil.

Reactions: George Dawes

zhenya

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2005
I can’t see how the new magnetic feature will help this at all. It’s not nearly secure enough that you can expect it to stay on other than for charging or storage on your desk.

I’d look into options for tethering your Pencil to the iPad so the two can’t become separated. And treat it like you would a $100 bill.

artfossil

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
I am a Speech-Language Pathologist in nursing homes and home health. I have patients sign after I leave their homes and have now lost my third Apple Pencil. I own a 10.5, and a second gen 12.9. I live a very busy life with work. How good is the new magnet feature with the new iPad Pro? I have been looking for a reason to upgrade anyway so maybe this is it lol. Wife isn't happy about me having to buy another Apple Pencil.
You can get this Moxieware magnetic sleeve for $17. It works—even through the Smart Cover. I used it on my original 12.9 iPad Pro during busy and mobile work days.

https://www.moxiware.com/products/apple-pencil-magnet

That said, the new iPad and Pencil design is worlds ahead and the Pencil magnet is VERY strong. It doesn’t accidentally come off carrying it around or in a bag. For me, the new Pencil alone is worth the upgrade.

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2007
Just buy the surface pro loops which sell for like 5 bucks and attach to your folio, it keeps the pencil attached to your folio....

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
That seems like a really (Also unnecessary) expensive decision just to upgrade your iPad because you won’t lose the Apple Pencil anymore. As other members noted, there are alternatives to help you keep the Apple Pencil attached to your iPad Air without losing it. I mean , if you have the expendable income just to upgrade an iPad for the sake of not losing the Apple Pencil two, then by all means, that’s your prerogative, but it also seems rather strange if that’s your only reason, when there _has_ to be more compelling reasons than that alone.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
I can’t see how the new magnetic feature will help this at all. It’s not nearly secure enough that you can expect it to stay on other than for charging or storage on your desk.

I’d look into options for tethering your Pencil to the iPad so the two can’t become separated. And treat it like you would a $100 bill.
I have it attached and stuff it in my laptop bag every day. Pencil hadn’t come lose once. It’s stronger than people think.

Reactions: George Dawes

zhenya

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2005
I have it attached and stuff it in my laptop bag every day. Pencil hadn’t come lose once. It’s stronger than people think.
Magnet is very good but it seems unlikely this is going to solve the issue in this case where the owner has other people using the device and the Pencil all day. The two need to be tethered together so they can’t be separated.

Reactions: bevsb2

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 68030
Jul 6, 2007
That seems like a really (Also unnecessary) expensive decision just to upgrade your iPad because you won’t lose the Apple Pencil anymore. As other members noted, there are alternatives to help you keep the Apple Pencil attached to your iPad Air without losing it. I mean , if you have the expendable income just to upgrade an iPad for the sake of not losing the Apple Pencil two, then by all means, that’s your prerogative, but it also seems rather strange if that’s your only reason, when there _has_ to be more compelling reasons than that alone.
If Apple hadn’t raised their prices, I probably would’ve bought the 11” 256 LTE model with pencil just because of the new pencil attachment method.

In a way, I’m happy they raised their prices. Made the decision to stick with what I already have a no brainer.

Reactions: Raist3001

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
So you want to spend $1000 to avoid losing $100 pen? That makes a lot of sense

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
Just to clarify there are other reasons I want to upgrade but it isn’t a news obviously.

BaddAdvice

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2016
It’s definitely more convenient and negates the “need” for a 3rd party case that accommodates the Pencil. The magnet is pretty strong, but I’ve had the Pencil come loose in my bag as I pull the iPad out of the built-in sleeve in my backpack. But, that’s not a huge deal; just fish it out. I also notice that it’s easy to jostle the Pencil loose when opening either the Smart Folio or Smart Keyboard Folio. But, again, that’s not a show-stopper.

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
This is what you need.
KHOMO iPad Pro 12.9 Inch Case with Pen Holder - Dual Black Super Slim Cover with Rubberized Back and Smart Feature (Sleep/Wake) for Apple iPad Pro 12.9 Inches Tablet https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073BCYVCX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_s256Bb4NFAP67
Just to clarify there are other reasons I want to upgrade but it isn’t a news obviously.
Don't get that case. I had that case for my 10.5" iPad Pro. The problem is the Apple Pencil is in close proximity to the display and doesn't go to sleep and drains the battery out quickly in the Pencil. It was dead nearly every time I wanted to use it. This proximity also causes weird issues with the display becoming temporarily unresponsive and removing the Pencil was the only thing that stopped the glitches for me. There is a reason why Apple only sold third party cases on their site for the 10.5" which had the pencil holder in a weird spot on the back. I didn't understand why until I had problems because on the surface this case seems superior but is not.

The No.2 Apple Pencil is nearing perfection. The magnets are about as strong as you can get outside of industrial and scientific applications without potentially damaging the plastic or someone's fingers. It is pretty secure but it's not magic. It can come off if you hit it the wrong way when going to grab it or something. Especially if you hit it on one of the ends which acts as a lever to pop it off easier. If you had the Pencil loose before, this will be an improvement, but it won't keep you from potentially losing it. I wonder if some sort of thin velcro sheeting could be used along the flat edge outside of the charging zone to better secure it?

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
I attach my Pencil to the iPad with a couple of Lechiturn (sp) pen loops, and turn bluetooth off when not using the pencil. Naturally, this doesn't work if you use a Bluetooth keyboard a lot. I use the Smart Keyboard, so it works fine for me.