I am thinking of my future with iPhone/Apple

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AstarA, Aug 19, 2016.

1. AstarA macrumors newbie

I went into the city centre today. Lucky to have both Apple and Samsung stores in the same shopping centre.

I have together with my wife to many Apple products to mention being a long time addict to all things from the company.

I think you can guess what I am about to ask.

Why is it from the Samsung S7 edge to nearly all the other products in the Samsung store did I feel the screens were much better, apps faster and had all items just had a better quality feel to them?

Aside from the security issue with Android I have been tempted to the dark side.

Is there any hope for me?

Dave

2. tommysm macrumors 6502a

tommysm

I switched over to the note 7 today lol go figure. Only issue so far is messages, but I absolutely love the phone.

3. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

You felt like you did when gazing upon the Samsung phones because you've already made your mind up with regards to becoming a user of the Android OS. That's my verdict and I'm sticking with it.

As for the comment "Is there any hope for me?" You decide really. What does the clerk in the Samsung store respond vs what does the clerk in the Apple Store respond to that question? Your mission user AstarA, should you decide to accept it, is to go the city centre again soon and buy your preferred phone - and ecosystem.

:)

4. deany macrumors 68030

deany

Where in OP's post did he even slightly give the impression he and his wife had decided on android before going shopping?

or is your post "tongue in cheek"?

5. rillrill macrumors 6502a

rillrill

Listen, as nice as the new note 7 is, Apple is the only company thank supports older devices as long as they do. Google is cool for cutting edge experimental tech, but they ax anything software or hardware on a whim. That's why I switched back. The note 7 will be fine for this year, but next year there'll be a note 8 and yr updates will slowdown...

6. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

- One does not have a "future" with a company. No one is forcing you to use 1 brand product over the other. You're taking this too seriously.
    - When the honeymoon of staring at a pretty screen is over you are left with software and services. Make sure you are ok with what Samsung has to offer as it is not pure Android OS.
    - You mentioned apps loading faster. how old of an iPhone do you actually have?

7. deany, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016

deany macrumors 68030

deany

Hi
    If you have a minute can you list all your apple products that you both own.
    A list of which apple products you use the most would be helpful and maybe for how long ie

1/ iPhone 6 all my waking day for a variety of reasons not just the phone

2/ rMBP for work and pleasure 3 to 4 hours a day

3/ iPad mini 30 mins to 1 hour

etc

cheers

8. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

A NOTE 7 OWNER?! Please, tell me more! I'd love to hear more about it. :)
    --- Post Merged, Aug 19, 2016 ---
    To the OP: A similar thing happened to me when my coworker showed me his S6 Edge + (not the S7). I couldn't believe my eyes. Actually seeing that phone in person made me look at my iPhone 5 (outdated, I know) and go "This is what I've been missing?"

9. deany macrumors 68030

deany

gosh why do I find folks that start a sentence with "listen" as being very condescending. Not only written but spoken too - have had to speak to staff about this in the past.

10. bhayes444, Aug 19, 2016

bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

Samsung is terrible with updates for their devices that aren't the newest flagship. Google does not decide if any device, aside from the Nexus line, gets an Android software update. That is left up to the OEM which, as you said, will cut off support at a moments notice. Sadly even Google's Nexus line can't match the software support Apple gives their iPhones. The latest from Google is at minimum 2 years of major OS upgrades (starting on release day); and 3 years of monthly security patches (from release) or 18 months from the last date the device was sold, whichever is longer.

11. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

Listen, that's just like, your opinion man. ;)

12. deany, Aug 19, 2016

deany macrumors 68030

deany

I guess now Alphabet are the Microsoft of smartphones this will all change - big changes ahead- with regard to software updates and how much they will 'throw' at the development team and of course keeping their billions of customers happy.
    So more updates on the horrizon A LA apple
    --- Post Merged, Aug 19, 2016 ---
    Many others agree its not the best habit to get into.
    Here in Liverpool the expression "wait there" is common dialect.
    I was in Starbuck Liverpool One yesterday and the cashier stuggled with the payment he said 'wait there' but a nano second later said 'sorry....I wont be a
    minute' made me smile as I have always disliked the 'wait there' expression and also the more common in the UK 'listen' as an opening line.
    Anyway I'm not trying to teach you how to express I would never want to, just observing - peace brother.

13. cynics macrumors G4

To be fair you need to use a device instead of buying on how it's presented to you. That's how sales work, the salesman is selling him or herself.

It's like buying a TV. They all look great, some better than others. However they are all set to "retail mode" (Samsung specifically calls it retail mode).

image.jpeg

If one was calibrated perfectly it would look like complete crap in the store compared to the others.

Same with a phone, calibrate the display and it will look similar to an iPhone (OLED will still generally appear better although display models may show burn in).

image.jpeg

Load up all your apps and the speed slows down. Handle it for a while and it doesn't feel any better. Etc etc.

Samsung makes a good phone. Try it out for a while and see if you like it. If you do, great you made a good decision. If not, you can always switch back when you are ready for your next upgrade.

I would consider the age of your current iPhone and compare that to what Samsung was selling that year and see how well it's holding up for people. Samsung keep the latest version of Android on the Galaxy line for about 3 years which isn't too terrible IMO. Currently the S5 is on Marshmallow, I doubt it will see an update past that. You can always root and rom the latest version yourself (if that's still a thing).

14. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

No worries, friend. I was just giving you a hard time. Despite me often starting my sentences with "Listen," I actually agree that it comes off as assertive or aggressive. I don't like it when people do it to me, though I know they don't mean any harm 99% of the time. The irony!

15. deany macrumors 68030

deany

Excellent post - I think the apple ecosystem - how that integrates in OP's and his wifes life - work and personal - is key to his final decision.

16. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

Alphabet was formed not to control Google, but to separate out all of the departments and programs Google was undertaking so that things that weren't really related to search and Android could be managed more easily. Essentially it made a handful of smaller companies out of one large companies, but all of these companies are owned by Alphabet; which is the publicly traded entity. I don't think Alphabet will have any input on Google supporting hardware, especially since they put out like 2-3 devices a year and their financials are separated.

17. deany macrumors 68030

deany

Sure, interesting times ahead for the Company(s)

18. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

What you all are missing is Apple is banking on you staying in the ecosystem. They put that above any hardware they produce.

19. rillrill macrumors 6502a

rillrill

Did they listen?

20. cardfan macrumors 65816

Any time I think of going away from it i'm confronted by the following:

1. I won't be able to accommodate iphone users. They use facetime, imessage, etc. Good luck on getting them to download google apps to accommodate you instead. This is the biggie. It's easier for me as an iphone user to accommodate google or other users.
    2. I own macs. Being able to use continuity and handoff features is nice plus any other iOS related features.
    3. I own a bunch of paid apps on iphone some of which aren't offered on android.
    4. Then there's the ipad, apple tv, apple watch which needs iphone, etc.
    5. I like itunes (one of the few i guess..lol). I like being able to do full backups which is simple enough. I've no idea if android is as capable but would like to think so.
    6. And finally, support. It's great to not have to deal with carriers or their stores. If i have a problem, i swap my iphone out at an apple store. I suppose i'll throw in frequent OS updates here along with best apps in class.

So yeah, that OLED samsung bloatware S7 or Note looks really good. I'm a sucker for best quality screens. It's tempting. But it wouldn't do the trick.

21. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Samsung's current gen devices are more tempting than ever. They are simply VERY nice. If you don't feel like you are stuck with iOS, I am confident you would be happy with a SGS7 series. I have ready very few negative remarks, and those that I did, were folks who simply preferred iOS.

22. deany macrumors 68030

deany

yes!!

23. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I dont understand why you are treating Apple as a "relationship". You are a paying customer, if anyone should be anxious in this transaction - that is Apple, who better be thinking if you would come back again.

You should definitely buy whoever gives you the best value for your money at any given time. Apple doesn't give a rats behind about "you" - you are just a walking bag of meat, who happens to have some money that they would rather have: a mere number on the sales chart that Apple execs thump their chests to at every event.

24. mantan macrumors 68000

With AT&T NEXT, it's become a lot more tempting to try out Android for a year. I have a feeling the 'it's never updated, there is a lot of bloatware, it runs sluggish after a few months' are long running urban myths from early Samsung models. I know very few people with a new model who aren't satisfied.

I had a Samsung tablet a few years ago and realized the 'walls' of the garden aren't as high as I thought. Most of the apps I use on a regular basis are free and the data is server side. I spent less than $20 on duplicate apps. My music and photos transferred in a snap. I seldom use FaceTime and can use my iPad if I needed it. Not having iMessage is a minor inconvenience. Most people have unlimited text messages...so it's not like sending a text instead of an iMessage is a problem.

25. comptr macrumors 65816

Bingo this is why I stick with iOS, Plus your carrier is going to load it up their own apps.