I am very displeased with the battery life on my 6+. Is mine defective?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheKommunist, Oct 12, 2014.

1. TheKommunist macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

As you can see this is fairly shoddy battery life compared to what other people on here have been getting.

And before anyone says, I've done every battery optimization in the book. Notifications only for important apps, background refresh is turned completely off, location services are on for only navigation apps and tinder and the like, auto brightness is on, mail is set to fetch hourly for my gmail accounts and MANUAL for my iCloud account. And I know here it says I use tinder the most but I mostly just check it a few times throughout the day.

2. TheKommunist thread starter macrumors newbie

What a completely useless reply. If you had taken just 10 seconds to read my post you would have seen that I wrote I only check tinder a few times per day.

3. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

no. that's normal.

my 6 gets 10 hours standby (with 8 hours usage).

people here will say otherwise because they simply don't use their phone. (note the number of people who have "home and lock screen" as the most battery usage item)

4. TheKommunist thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes but I have a plus, I should be getting more out of it.
    I can literally watch the percentage drop ever 2-3 minutes if im simply browsing safari on a strong wifi connection. Its infuriating.

5. BigMar89 macrumors 6502

How long have you had your Plus for? Mine was getting around the same battery life with light usage the first couple cycles but after 2 weeks it's getting phenomenal battery life (13 hours usage and 32 hours standby) if you have already gone through few charging cycles and still giving you these results I'd take it to the Apple Store to get a battery diagnosis and possible replacement.

6. TheKommunist thread starter macrumors newbie

This is actually a replacement unit I got from the apple store on Monday the 6th. So about a week. You think I should give it more time? My last experience at the store was terrible and I am loathe to go through the replacement process again (Verizon is having major issues with sim cards and activation)

7. Pez555, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2014

Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

Then you've answered your own question....

LOL at the first reply by the way.

'A few times a day' going by the % would be 2 hours.... Swiping those women costs battery

8. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

Here is mine at 5%. Yours is better. I think you're ok or I'm not.

[​IMG]

9. TheKommunist thread starter macrumors newbie

You appear to have the same issue as me. How are other people getting 2 days of standby with 12-14 hours of usage??

10. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

Honestly I'm wondering that too. I think the battery lasts longer when you use it every now and then compared to using it continuously.

11. cababah macrumors 68000

True. On screen usage will drain it faster..especially at high brightness.

12. DerfBWH macrumors 6502

That absolutely seems incredibly low. Here's what I'm getting on my 6 Plus under average use. I haven't deployed any sort of crazy "battery optimization" techniques and I'm a fairly heavy iPhone user. Super pleased with the battery life on my 6 Plus.

Attached Files:

13. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

Tinder = Location services constantly = drainage.

14. TheKommunist thread starter macrumors newbie

jesus christ. thanks for making me jealous. this is the kind of usage I was expecting from my plus

15. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

You're really displeased? I can barely get half of that on my 5s....

16. aliensporebomb macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

Do this....

Download and run More (it's an app).

Let it run for a few days and it will figure out the "battery hogs" running on your phone.

I'm getting about 21-22 hours a charge of active use. Check it out.

17. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

My 5 was doing the same thing all of sudden. I thought what in the world is going on.

I took it to Apple, they did a diagnostic test on it and said my battery capacity was just about perfect; 99-100%.

He then told me that he saw that one of my apps was continually crashing in the background and most likely draining my battery.

I believe you can do a diagnostic over the Apple website as well; it could be something simple that you're just not able to see.

18. TheKommunist thread starter macrumors newbie

Just finished chatting with Apple support, he told me that the diagostic revealed something hanging/crashing repeatedly in the background due to a botched OTA iOS 8 install and recommended I restore directly through iTunes. I'm going to try it now, fingers crossed.

19. IFRIT macrumors 6502a

How can you be a heavy user when your lock screen has the 2nd most battery usage, i very much doubt if you have even had the screen on for even an hour.

20. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

You have plugged in your iPhone since charge and have a huge lock screen and home screen %.

21. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

I'm a very heavy user too and my lock screen is in the top 3 most used by the battery. I'll put the phone to sleep and then start using it again after a few seconds. I do that many times over.

22. IFRIT, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2014

IFRIT macrumors 6502a

Paper and Safari on his usage would use way more battery then the lock screen if they had been used for any length of time because the screen would of been on, but on his usage there is only a few percentage points between the 3 which tells me unless he has been staring at the desktop for hours on end which wouldn't show up in the usage that the screen has hardly been on.

He's just some poser that thinks it's cool to have a phone sat near idle (except for background usage) for 3 days and then brag about awesome battery life.

Edit - And has pointed out below the phone has been charged part way though the cycle, so the guy is a joker.

23. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Not true data. Their iPhone was plugged in since last charge.

24. RDAR macrumors 6502

How long did u plug ur iPhone in, it says it's been plugged in since last full charge. Who knows how long u had it charging.

25. titans1127 macrumors 6502a

iOS counts usage as screen on time as well as when the device is doing things with the screen off such as audio streaming and background mail fetching. I can pull off 11-13 hours of usage and 2 days of standby easily with 3 hours or so if it being podcast streaming over bluetooth.