I apologize for this dumb question... but how many Exchange accounts can we have?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hanwei, May 2, 2011.

1. Hanwei, May 2, 2011
    Last edited: May 3, 2011

Hanwei macrumors member

how many exchange email accounts does the iphone 4 allow?

My Google-Fu is weak on this question. I've searched for an hour now (on Google, MacRumors, etc) and I can't find ANY source that actually states a number... everything says "iOS 4 allows multiple Exchange accounts"... But how many is "multiple"?!

Thanks in advance, guys. :eek:

2. muttonhead411 macrumors member

I'm not sure what the maximum is, but I have 3 exchange accounts running, and it seems fine so far. How many do you have? or need...

3. Hanwei thread starter macrumors member

I'm running 3 at the moment... but this question isn't for me... it's for my brother. He's looking at moving from his Droid over to an iPhone and needs it to be able to handle at least 6 Exchange accounts with the potential of adding more in the future (he's a business consultant and has a separate Exchange account for each of his clients).

It's amazing... I just spent an additional 20min looking... and still can't find a source that states how many Exchange accounts iOS4 allows. Not even Apple's website!

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

AFAIK there is no fixed limit on email accounts and by extension, no fixed limit on exchange accounts. You may find battery life and or performance suffers a bit if you have hundreds of accounts though...

5. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I don't believe there is a limit.

6. xkylar macrumors newbie

I read somewhere that 10 is the limit. That was awhile back though.

7. Hanwei thread starter macrumors member

Hundreds?! Hehehe... I bet the battery would drain to 0% on the iphone's first attempt to sync the hundreds of accounts :D

No, he just needs 6 accounts at the moment... maybe a max of 10 down the road.

I hope you're right... That would be great.

Any chance you remember where you read that?

Thanks guys!

8. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I've just done a quick test with the iPhone configuration utility and it let me create 100 ActiveSync accounts without complaining, so it does look like there is no limit

9. Hanwei thread starter macrumors member

Holy crap... you weren't kidding. Thank you very much for taking the time to do that! I'll let my brother know he's got no limit :D

10. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

He could always forward his mail into one account and set up multiple response addresses.