I ask of you all, help me RESURRECT my MBP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SephirothXR, Aug 22, 2010.

1. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

I feel like a time clock is ticking for my MBP[even typing this post lags]. My year old 13" uMBP has given me PC like problems and lags tremendously. Sometimes the start up screen [Apple logo with the moving circle] NEVER subsides even after hours on. The beachball comes up ALL THE TIME [not just wish browsers], and I primarily just use internet browsing, word processing, media [iPhoto and iTunes] and Skype. I've transferred all my important files to an external harddrive, I've taken it to my university's tech services [they did only short term fixes], and I don't have AppleCare. I can get a new HD, which essentially makes the computer new again. Should I get the regular 250GB HD, or should I invest the money in a brand new SSD HD [60-80 GB], but put all my big files on my external harddrive? If I get a new SSD, does anyone have any recommendations?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It does sound like your hard drive is dying. A new HD is cheap about $50-$75 for 160Gb-250Gb.

3. SephirothXR thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't know if other elements with the hardware caused it to crash or if I just did a few small things here and there with the HD that caused this. It's totally unacceptable for me it's only a year, but I'll just hope that the new HD doesn't crash. Could I simply erase my HD and make it start a new, or would the hardware issue still cause it to crash eventually?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It's a hardware issue. Erasing it won't help. Hard drives fail, it's just something that happens. They could last two days old or two decades.

5. SephirothXR thread starter macrumors 6502

I understand, thanks for your input! Now for new HDs, I could either go the route of quantity or quality.. 500 GB HD for less than $100 or a 80 GB SSD for $200. Hmmmm.. if I get an SSD, do you have any recommendations? I hear Intel makes the best, but is there one in particular which is popular around these forums?

6. Rithem macrumors 6502

Rithem

I would go for the 500GB. At least for me personally I have 60GBs just of music not including everything else on my laptop. SSDs are nice imo but overpriced. Wait a year or two and they'll plummet down in price.

7. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Do you have Apple Care or are you under the 1 yr warranty? If so you may want to go through Apple. If not, then I agree, the 500 HD sounds like the way to go.

8. SephirothXR thread starter macrumors 6502

I have about 6 GB of music and then a lot of photos and some videos, but even 80 GB would be ridiculously small. I'll get the new 250 - 500 HD then.. any recommendations? Should I go with the same one Apple uses? I heard of cases where people would do it themselves and had some issues. I have my Snowleopard disc, is this all I need?

9. SephirothXR thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm just curious, but even if I did, what would they have done? Would they have given me a new HD? I think I can probably get one of my university technicians to switch it out [with the microscrewdriver or whatever they use].

10. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Yes, I believe, if the HD failed under warranty, they'd replace it. I had problems with my present MBP's battery earlier this year (well into my 2nd year). I brought it to an apple Retail store and they replaced my battery free of charge. so I feel it is worth a try. What will it cost you other than some time spent at an Apple store if they replace it free? Free beats paying for a HD unless you are dead set on getting more GBs on your HD.

11. slideworks macrumors member

slideworks

(waving hands) Om Nom Sha Bom, Om Nom Sha Bom....:)

12. davidlv macrumors 65816

All you need to swap the HD yourself is a good #00 Philips head screwdriver (short shank is best) and a Tork 06 screwdriver. Be careful to get those VERY SMALL screws back in the same holes you took them out of and don't let them jump off to the flour! Thay are very shy and will hide behind even the smallest speck of dust. :eek: Also be careful not to scratch the back of your computer, slow and easy will do best.
    I would recommend the 500GB 7,200 Hitachi, mine has very low vibration, good speed, and it is quiet. Can be found well under a 100 bucks.
    Other people have had good luck with the Seagate Momentus 7,200 and the WD Scorpio Blue 5,400 rpm and the WD Black 7,200 drive.
    :apple::cool: