I Believe In God

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Hopefully this has not all ready been posted here. A well done objective view of human belief... outstanding!

http://youtu.be/xlUF_tKZbDk

2. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Thanks for posting. Excellent video!!! It's true. When it comes to religion, all we have are our BELIEFS. Which is why they are called beliefs and not facts.

3. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

4. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

This was a really good video. My only issue with it is that even though the claims it makes are very rational and realistic, to something like:

"The feelings I've felt are so divine that it proves God must be real"

and the rationalizing of that statement "no, I know that I can feel things that I would classify as divine" would provoke a response from a typical (southern, at least) Christian like this:

"No, I know that it's God" with no explanation as to why they've come to that conclusion, or any reason behind it.

The deluded often are so ingrained in their beliefs that it is like rejecting the theory of gravity to them to concede that any facet or aspect of Christianity is a bit sketchy or unexplainable.

5. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

So what really separates religion from the supernatural and old wives tales? I don't see any substantial difference. This is not to say I don't have spiritual feelings, I do. I just don't know what to make of and how to assign those feelings with any certainty. Maybe those who have been enlightened can show me the path. :)

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

There is no "path", only those that would use Man's uncertainty about "Why?" to their advantage.

Someone wisely mentioned 20 life-times (optimistic), but a sound idea, about the implementation of organized Western religions, vs. the duration of life on this tiny little ball of compressed gas.

7. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Lol. Advantage= cash, big money to be made in religion. Ask the televangelists. :)

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Cash yes, followed by status, but always control.

And like Unions in general, Religion's time has passed, for attempting to make a better World out of chaos.

We have outgrown them. Sorry about that, but the 'dumbing' was not successful.

9. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I took the one less travelled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Robert Frost.

11. Kariya macrumors 68000

Kariya

*scratches head*

"Subjectively", "Objectively", "Verify", "Rationally" etc

Aren't you just doing the boring old classic i.e. exaggerating belief statements and then mocking with technicalities

...or more simply put; applying logic to something that is fundamentally faith based.

Video came across as contrived/juvenile to me...and i'm not even religious. I at least agree with his points towards the end.