I bet it works

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Shivetya, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Shivetya macrumors 65816

http://in.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idINIndia-43639120091103

Saudi Arabia is going to behead a child rapist and then crucify him (would it not be better to do it in the other order?)

Of course the human rights groups are all pissy about it, but frankly why are they defending trash like this? When can a society be civilized if it tolerates monsters? Let alone ones that prey on the young or weak.

2. PcBgone macrumors 6502

PcBgone

But they have a right to life. They can be rehabilitated. Death is such a final conclusion. What if the court was wrong with the convictions.
    /sarcasm

Bye bye buddy! Maybe in the afterlife you will live a better life.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I actually bet it doesn't work because this isn't the first case like this to come out of Saudi Arabia. Capital punishment isn't a deterrent. If it was, our murder rate in the US would be zero :rolleyes:

4. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Apparently the society does tolerate monsters, as in the ones who are doing this to this man.

5. takao macrumors 68040

takao

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

7. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

In many cases, I don't believe that a death penalty is appropriate, but a child rapist is someone at such a great level of evil that I have zero interest in their "rehabilitation." If it acts as a successful deterrent, I'm all for it here. As for the specific methods used here, they're not humane--but does the perp. still have a reasonable expectation for humane treatment at this point?

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The death penalty is given before he is crucified so its more of a "hey you are dead, now we are making an example of you".

Does anyone know if muslims follow the same as catholics used to that if you were beheaded you couldn't enter heaven or something?

9. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Eye for an eye? Capital punishment has never been shown to be an effective deterrent.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

11. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Um, Catholics never believed that. Numerous saints were martyred by beheading, such as St. John the Baptist. And since the definition of "saint" is "someone who is in heaven"...

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Hmm.. not sure where I heard that from, I will try to find something on it. I could swear it had something to do around the crusades.

edit: I guess I was partially right, not that catholics believed it necessarily but some muslims do:

"Depending on which interpretation of the Qu’ran is followed, a beheading may also prevent the beheaded Muslim from entering Paradise."

http://pajamasmedia.com/phyllisches...-denial-that-beheadings-are-related-to-islam/

13. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Maybe it's a deterrent, and maybe it isn't. But it does one helluva good job at cutting down on repeat offenses.

14. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

And one "helluva" good way to ensure the execution of innocent people. Not to mention a foolproof way to perpetuate violence.

15. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Castration would cut down on repeat offenses too.

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It doesn't do any better of a job than life without parole.

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Someone kills someone else so they get free food, workout, tv, health care, etc for life.

18. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Let's just hope he was innocent and then I'll feel comfortable throwing stones at him. Saudi Arabia, pioneers of society.

19. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Gaol is pretty much club med.

20. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Surely you meant guilty?
    Or…
    :confused:

21. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Sure it does. You don't think any violent acts are committed in jail by the inmates?

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

They get all that while on death row at a much higher cost since capital punishment trials are more expensive than life imprisonment.

23. No1451 macrumors 6502

If they would just sit there every day staring at a wall I would be cool with prison, but they are allowed to live, something that murderers and rapists have deprived their victims of the ability to do.

As to violence spawning violence, standing idly by and allowing to violence to happen because you refuse to make a stand against it makes you as bad as the people committing the violence.

24. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

That's absolutely disgusting. I can't believe anyone would want that fate on another human being. No matter the crime.

25. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I don't know about you, but I'd rather be dead than spend my life in prison.