i bet siri won't work as good as they make it out to be

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by himynameiscody, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Fully disagree. jobs wouldn't have let it leave the stable if it didn't work properly.

2. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

welcome to the world of advertising

3. 314631 macrumors 6502a

As I said in another thread, listen to the last 10 minutes of this week's podcast "hypercritical" with John Siracusa. He explains why Siri will be a disappointment to many people.

4. drb1992 macrumors 6502

drb1992

It is only in beta, so it can become a lot better than it currently is.

5. Snaaake! macrumors member

If it's anything like the original Siri app, and since I'm sure they've beefed it up since then, it's going to work great.

6. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

Funny how first people say the 4S will be a flop and no one will want it because they wanted the 5 and then all the sellers experience record pre-orders. So now that did not pan out, its time to look at something else...

7. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

8. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Source: Engadget.

I think it's going to work great.

Somewhere else (TIMN, maybe?) said that they used it and spoke much less robotically then demonstrated in the keynote, and it still worked perfectly.

9. acepaul macrumors newbie

I have yet to see any voice recognition live up to its advertising, but there is a first for everything, right? We will see on Friday...

10. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

Do you mean the voice recognition part? Because that's powered by Nuance, and it works great in the Siri iPhone app.

As for understanding and its AI, it's also very good. I mean... very good. And that's just the app. With OS wide integration, I'm sure it'll be even better.

But that's not to say it will be perfect all the time. Every now and then it doesn't recognize a word or two correctly, but that's bound to happen sometime.

Remember, they didn't touch the Siri AI and Nuance technology... so it's going to work as well as the Siri app, if not better. They just integrated it into the OS.

11. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

Considering THIS IS A BETA I think it will work pretty well based on;

The original siri app. It is awesome.

I doubt Steve Jobs would have let it fly if he wasn't confident in it. And I doubt the other guys would have let it fly if it sucks knowing Steve was not doing well.

There have been many reports on it already and people seem to agree that it is very intuitive, hard to fake out, and it understands you as you speak normal.

I'm sure it won't be perfect. But this is the first version of it Since Apple took it over. Just keep an open mind and please remember that it is in fact beta right now.

12. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Brushing up on your grammar could help Siri work better.

13. RagnarokRed macrumors member

I don't see why it wouldn't. The current Siri app, while sometimes slow, works fine on my 3GS with voice commands.

14. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

who knows?

people are here can test it on friday.

15. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Everybody should know by now that Apple doesn't release a feature until they get it working perfectly (i.e. cut/paste, MMS)

16. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

strong post to avatar picture

17. Usual macrumors member

Well, I am one of the people that is pessimist about Siri.

There is lot to do before it works properly. May be I am wrong, may be it is a wonderful thing. But I am not sure they have made lots in a short time...

18. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I can't wait to see how well it serves me as a student... perhaps telling me which color bands can be found on a 4.7K resistor or the integral of some absurd formula. Engineering stuff.

19. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

I think it will! I don't think I've heard a single negative thing (other than the sound of the voice) in a hands-on review thus far.

20. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

this

21. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

If Siri can start solving my problems at work or kids homework at school, maybe it could be a good thing..

I just don't see people sitting in the office talking to their phones or kids at school talking out loud to text each other. In the car, yes. In a room of people or a crowded place, not as much.

22. blunti macrumors 6502a

*looks at lion*

23. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I'm talking about features within iOS.

No OS starts out smooth.

24. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

So many people forget that Siri came out of DARPA's CALO project.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CALO

They also confuse Siri with a voice recogniztion program, which it is not. The voice recognition is performed by Nuance, the guys behind Dragon. Siri is the AI behind it that determines how to reply to your natural language requests.

----------

Because it offloads the processing to servers. Most are assuming that a lot of the AI processing will be handled locally. The web will be required for data retrieval only.