I bet the new keyboard fuss goes away quickly

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by dagdagdag234, Apr 16, 2015.

1. dagdagdag234 macrumors regular

Was just thinking, most of the reviews mentioned the little-travel thin keyboard as a tough sell for many people, that it feels less comfortable and clicky, that people who appreciate keyboards would feel Apple compromised their comfort for overall laptop thinness --

But I do remember not that long ago I switched from a 2009 MBP to a 2014 MBA and I was quite thrown, not realizing the keys on the Air would have less travel than the Pro.

It took me 2-3 days to adjust and then I was absolutely fine with it.

Now I'm so used to the Air keyboard that when I used my wife's MBP recently the thicker keys felt weird to me.

This is why computer purchases are tricky -- so many little nuances we think we'll never get used to, and then we do.

Am excited to get the new Macbook in 2-3 years when the price comes down and I'm ready to upgrade from my 11" Air.

2. dmitrivich macrumors member

This is true - people get used to what they use. It's often assumed that thick, high-travel mechanical keyboards are the gold standard. While low quality "chiclet" keyboard are terrible, I'll take a nice chiclet keyboard, such as Apple makes over any mechanical keyboard, any day. Whenever I'm forced to use a mechanical keyboard anymore, it just seems ponderous and imprecise. I'm sure the new keyboard is fine.