I bought a carbon offset

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by pseudobrit, Apr 15, 2007.

1. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

My car averages 46mpg and I use a 10% blend of biofuel. Still, my car pumps three tons of carbon into the air each year. So I've bought an offset to neutralise this somewhat.

It's certainly not the best thing I can do but it's something and was only $28.

2. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

I'd rather invest the money in some tree seeds. Or a ghetto windmill.

3. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Where did you get it? I've been interested in doing something like this for a while.

4. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

I got mine here: http://www.terrapass.com/

there are a few places that sell them online. If you do a google search for "carbon offsets" you can find about 20 of them.

5. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

6. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I'm not gonna lie, but this just supports my theory that Global Warming is simply a method for people to get rich and for politicians to gain political power.

Honestly, how much of the $500 I would pay for my car is actually going to go to wind farm. A wind farm that won't even provide me with power because it won't be built near me.

I call it a scam, and if you actually pay for that, you're stupid. If you are going to donate money to planting trees or creating a wind farm, why not avoid the middle man and just donate directly. Additionally, for $500 I could probably plant 59093450439504395 times more trees than TerraPass will...

7. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

When buying carbon offsets, you need to make sure that if they plant trees, they do so in low lying tropical environments, like a rainforest.

8. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

As opposed to the Oil Companies funding studies that try to refute the evidence of global warming, which isn't a method for people to get rich and politicians to gain power?

9. TheDance511 macrumors 6502

fake or not...scam or not..moeny maker or not...the earth IS getting warmer and the planet IS limited on resourcese.....if i pay for that i am not stupid.. at least some people care about the environment....or do somethign to show it like the OP.....i suppose now your going to tell us that C o2 is healthy for the environment :) :D :rolleyes:

10. orangemacapple macrumors 6502

but i'm not ready to give up my diet coke

11. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Its not necessarily entirely a scam. Though there are some interesting possibilities for double dipping. Take the greenhouse credit and use the money to buy a windmill. Take the windmill and make electricity. Sell that electricity to an outfit that sells eco-friendly electricity at a markup.

As for methane sequestration, depending on how you do it, it provides valuable natural gas.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wait, when I read this the first time, I thought it was some culturally different language for a cold trap or a molecular trap. And I wanted to ask for pictures. :D This is a voucher?

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The $80 Road Tripper TerraPass is designed to offset ~1000 gallons of fuel, so either you drive a semi or you actually spend a lot of time in gas stations since you consume just over 16 gallons a day, or you're exaggerating things just a bit.

Even at 10 mpg you'd have to drive around 60K miles a year to need that much gas.

My guess is that you won't plant any trees either. :rolleyes:

B

14. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I planted 10 of them the other day. Don't know yet if the snow killed them.

15. pseudobrit thread starter macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Something like "Drive Neutral". They buy credits off the Chicago Climate Exchange. This is not a tree-planting scheme and it didn't cost $500. This is capitalism enticing worldwide industry to clean up. When you buy an offset, you create demand, which drives up price, which increases the incentive for businesses to clean up their act.

I admit there's plenty of room for abuse, but I like the concept. I also admit I feel a little like I'm buying an indulgence.

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Ok, go out and plant the trees then.

Of course, you're just talking about it being "possible". You can't walk the walk.

17. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

18. Chrismcfall Suspended

19. pseudobrit thread starter macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

You pay money to offset the carbon you produce, with the goal being to end up carbon neutral. Someone else is either absorbing carbon or reducing their carbon output beyond set goals, and you buy that negative carbon production from them to counter your carbon emissions.

20. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Its an interesting concept, but there are a few things that make this terrapass company look a little shady in my book:

1. Terrapass is a for-profit corporation. I haven't seen too many organizations trying to do good AND make a profit.
    2. I can't find anything on that site that says how much of its revenue terrapass actually puts into "green" projects. Charities are required to disclose this percentage, but then again, terrapass is a for profit and not a charity.

If anybody else is feeling guilty about emitting greenhouse gases, I'll punch you in the stomach for half of what terrapass would charge you.

21. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Under "About", I did find this:
    http://www.terrapass.com/news/terrapass-verification-report-2004-2005.pdf

Doesn't help much, but it has some info.

I'll pay you half the price to punch people who don't feel guilty, how's that?

22. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

For point one, there are plenty of for-profit companies that do good work, and non-profits that are crap. To some degree it's just a tax status.

Point two though sounds pretty damning though.

23. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I still don't see anything pertaining to what percentage of my "donation" actually goes to funding carbon reduction and what percentage of it is eaten up in overhead and creating slick websites. Is there anything on that page showing that Terrapass is donating this money, or can one reasonably assume that the money given to terrapass is in turn invested in projects, ie giving them free capital?

You're right, I should have phrased that better. The fact that they're a for-profit corporation really doesn't help them in the public eye.

24. pseudobrit thread starter macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

The company I bought from is run by Presidio School of Management, which is a part of Alliant International University, a not-for-profit school accredited by Western Association of Schools and Colleges, the legitimate accrediting body for California's schools.

I don't see that any shenanigans are possible in that part of the exchange.

25. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

Don't forget, there's usually local initiatives you can donate to which help an entity (such as a university, public housing, community buildings, etc..) incorporate alternative energy.