I bought a Macbook a few months ago, should i sell it and get the new Macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by StephanieW, Nov 23, 2008.

1. StephanieW macrumors newbie

So, I bought a Macbook a few months ago and now they come out with a brand new one with more memory. Since the new one has just come out the prices are similar. Should I delete everything off my current Macbook put it back in the box and sell it so I can get the new one?

2. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

What do you mean by more memory? both your MacBook and the new one max out at a 500GB HD and 4GB RAM, the only difference is the new one uses DDR3 RAM which is slightly faster and costs more. But basically it comes down to are you satisfied with your MB?

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Wirelessly posted (Jeff's iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

it's your choice. I think you should weigh the pros and cons and also consider that you won't be able to sell the computer for the same price. You will be getting a bigger hard drive, multitouch, and a few other changes. If these are big enough reasons to upgrade then go for it.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

If you *need* it, then go for it. If you just want to have some cool to show off to your friends... I'm going to let you make that decision... :rolleyes:

5. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Absolutely you should! The new MacBook is Alu-sexy. The plastic one is just old news. You wouldn't want to be obsolete would you?

6. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Err what a dumb answer

7. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

I believe it was supposed to be sarcastic

8. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

I did think that but posted as i wasn't sure, plus it gives out the wrong message to the OP about buying a new one if not sarcastic

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Personally, I wouldn't. I would just keep what you already have.

10. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

Damn apple with their stunning designs.

However, you must understand that there are no performance related differences between the two machines and you'd be buying it purely on greed and personal satisfaction and you'll loose a reasonable percentage of the original purchase price.

If you can handle those things, and need the most up to date hardware to satisfy some other area that it potentially lacking in your life, go for it. It's the Apple way!

11. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Not strictly true. The new MacBook has far, far better graphics performance. But that's the only real performance change, and it doesn't sound the OP is a big gamer anyway... otherwise he wouldn't have bought a MacBook!

12. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

well if you always buy/sell when new apple products come out, you will always lose money. So consider that. But the new laptops are a lot better. Sleeker, lighter, better graphics performance. Those are FACTS. Now what is subjective is the look. If you like your white or black macbook better than aluminum, then you don't need the aluminum. They are basically equal machines, graphics improve, but not so much where you are killed by intel x3100. so it comes down to which look you like better

13. mynameisraj macrumors 6502

14. codyst macrumors regular

codyst

How long does that usually take from the time Rev A is released?

15. svndmvn Guest

Six months but this last revision has been a big deal,I think it's going to take longer now.plus, MBPs usually get the updates every eight months and the macbooks afterwards..we could be seeing new macbooks in september/October again or pretty bland speed/storage bumps around may

16. ChrisA macrumors G4

If your current computer is not letting you do something you need to do then replace it. But if the curent machine is serving your needs then keep it. So the answer kind of depends on why you have a notebook computer.

If the purpose of your notebook is to download video from your MiniDV camera then the last thing you would want is this new MB because it lacks a Firewire port.

17. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

To be honest with you, if your macbook is ok now and is doing everything you want it to i would not bother

Keep that one and get the new ones when that one dies.
    (Years to come) :p

18. therealdt macrumors regular

Be happy with what you got.....Few months old and you already want something new.

19. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Here's a thought..

Take your old one to an apple store, best buy, or whatever. Plunk your "old" one next to its metal clad little brother. Compare the screens. Fire up safari on both, and word, do whatever you normally do on both.

If you can tell a difference between the two, put your old model on ebay, craigslist, sell to a relative, whatever. See how much you can get out of it, and see if you think it's worth paying.

Also, use ebay and CL to see what everyone's getting out of theirs before you put yours on the auction block.

20. Boston135 macrumors newbie

Will you be doing this every time a new model comes out? If you can handle that and are okay with totally redoing your setup every few months, then go ahead.

With the resale value of Macs, you should be able to get most of your money back to put towards the new one. But when will you stop?

21. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I was in the same situation and decided to stick with my WhiteBook. It is a nice machine, does what I need to do, and I'd be dropping $400 on a new look. My notebook does what I need to do and I have better things to spend $400 on.