I bought a stolen iPhone, help please!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by monsow, Aug 13, 2012.

1. monsow macrumors member

Hi guys. I'm not proud of this, but I bought a stolen iPhone in dba.dk (a danish page for selling used stuff). I then tried to put my sim in the iPhone, but it didn't work so I went to my carrier store, and they told me it was a stolen iPhone. I told them that I didn't know that, and I wanted to hand it over to the police, but they told me that that I would still get charged since I am the one who has the iPhone now.

Now the thing is, I still want to hand it over to the police (via mail, so they don't suspect me), but I alrdy set up my iTunes account and used my home internet with the phone. I'm going to restore the iPhone on iTunes, and then send it to the police. Will they still know that I'm the one who had it last, or am I safe to do this.

I know it was my bad to buy divice without warrenty, and I've learned a life lesson. Please help someone.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Did you knowingly buy stolen property? If so, then depending upon laws where you're at you could face charges. If you didn't know then where I come from you simply need to return the phone to the police and you should be ok. I am in the U.S. though so laws could be different.

3. 617aircav Suspended

Taking legal advice from a salesman is a foolish thing. Just take it to the police. They can't proove that you stole it as there is no evidence that you did. If anything your carrier should have called the police if it showed that it was reported stolen.

4. monsow thread starter macrumors member

No I didn't know it was stolen, then I would've never bought it. But I still get charged if I return it in Denmark, since I bought it without warrenty, it is my fault :(

----------

617aircav, you really think he called the police? If yes then I'm screwed, cause they will never believe me :/ I really wish there was something I could do before returning it.

5. sakau2007 macrumors 6502

They don't have to prove he stole the phone. In most (all?) states, possession of stolen property is a crime in and of itself. Now I'm not saying that the OP is going to be charged with anything... in fact, he probably won't be... but I just wanted to clarify that little legal tidbit.

6. rainking macrumors regular

First, calm down. It's just a phone. You are acting like you just murdered someone.

The right thing to do it turn it in to the police and like you said, lesson learned.

7. monsow thread starter macrumors member

Sakau, there is still the possibility that I will get charged, and I wish it was just a bill but I really don't want to get my name charged with a crime I didn't do. I just want to return the iPhone to the police, and I don't care that I lost money on it, I just don't want to be charged.

----------

Rainking, I know it's just a phone, but I'm applying for becoming Danish citizen, and one of the requirements is that I've done no crime (which I haven't), which is why this is such a big problem.

8. AnotherBrian macrumors regular

Send it back to the seller and call the police and tell them they have stolen goods.

9. turtle777 macrumors 6502a

The obvious answer is: you need to talk to a Danish lawyer, not a forum of people from all over the world that give "advice" based on their limited knowledge of the local law in their country.

-t

10. monsow thread starter macrumors member

I know I can send it back to the seller, but the police still has my sim card data and my house network information, so they will probably believe him more than me.

11. Surfin10 macrumors member

Honestly, asking for legal advise on a public website isn't the best idea. But if you're that worried about it, ask a legal professional in your area. I have no idea of danish laws, but if what you're claiming is true - I'd trash it and forget about it. It seems like, from what you say, that if you try to hand it over to Police you will be automatically be accused of stealing it.

Do you have any contact info from the person you purchased it from? Emails, phone numbers, names? If you're dead set on giving it to police - have a hard copy of all this info. when you give it to police. If you don't have any info from the seller, how do police know you didn't steal it?

but, it does seems like a uphill battle to me.

12. monsow thread starter macrumors member

Turtle you are right, I just hoped I could do this without having to pay a lawyer, but I think thats what I'll do.. Thanks for the help anyways guys.

13. monsow thread starter macrumors member

Guys I have one last quesiton. If I return the iPhone, and use my sim card with another phone, can the police still charge me somehow? Since they know I used my sim card with the stolen phone.

14. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Legal advice from a local lawyer makes a lot of sense since you are concerned with being charged. I'm sure there is a simple solution. :cool:

15. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

lol people are morons. Take it to the police....you will be fine. I am surprised the carrier did not take the phone in the first place.

I honestly feel like you are worried about something. I have bought a phone off craigslist before and if it turned out to be stolen, I would take it to my carrier or the police and would not fear being charged in any way shape or form. Especially in your case where you bought the phone online and can show proof of purchase.

16. monsow thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I will mail it to the police, I've realized that now. But the thing is, can I use my sim card with another phone, or will I have to get a new sim card aswell to be completely safe?

17. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

you're overreacting and blowing this wayyyy out of proportion. If you can return the phone and get your money back asap do it now. That will be the end of it. As far as your sim is concerned I have no idea why you would think that has anything to do with it? if you paid by credit card contact your cc company and stop payment.

18. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

They are now tracking your every move. SIM cards contain micro tracking emitters, and that's how people like the fire brigade can track you if you ever call them! They most likely know what you've been looking at on the phone, where you are and who you've called. Destroy the phone and the SIM NOW! It may be too late for you, though, as the police have access to your SIM :(

Seriously though, just give it to the police. If you try and hide the fact that you've had the phone, it may make you more suspicious. Don't over think this. Just my 2p.

19. 617aircav Suspended

If you are so scared talk to a lawyer, this is not the place to get advice. Use common sense.

20. monsow thread starter macrumors member

Yes I will return the phone, I got that now. But I'm still confused whether I should get a new sim card or not.

21. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

if you want to throw money away talk to a lawyer. You have proof of purchase from an online retailer....you are covered.

you SIM is fine. You didn't steal your SIM card

22. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Why do you think you'd need a new SIM?

23. monsow thread starter macrumors member

cambookpro, because the sim was in the iPhone when I went to the store and he told me my phone was stolen, so maybe they could track the sim somehow. I have no idea how this stuff works, I'm just a little paranoid, which is why I want to be sure of everything.

24. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

take your SIM out, take the phone to the police with proof you bought the phone online, and wash your hands clean of the situation. Having a stolen phone randomly mailed in would make you more suspicious.

25. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Don't worry. They aren't going to track you or hunt you down. Why do they want you? You didn't steal it, so you've nothing to worry about as long as you can prove you purchased the phone recently (after it was stolen).