I bought iMac 27 last sat but didn't come w/ lion

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jvmxtra, Jul 28, 2011.

1. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

My question is, I know some iMac came w/ new keyboard(mine does not have dedicated f3 and f4 for lion.

Is there any other difference or shall I return mine?(I really don't want to unless if that is the only difference)

2. AbeFroman77 macrumors 6502

Did you get a BTO iMac?

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

That's the only difference. No reason to return, since you get Lion for free.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Your keyboard probably has Dashboard instead of Launchpad on the "F4" key ... if that makes any difference.*edit* just saw that in the OP

What about that feature where you can download Lion via the logic boards EFI? I think macs shipping after Lion have that only.
    Ahh ... lion rocovery
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

5. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Yes, I think the biggest deciding factor here is whether or not you purchase a BTO or not.

BTO here, got lion and new kb.

6. iSayuSay, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011

iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Yeah .. and that ridiculously ironic since it's much more fun to open LaunchPad by TrackPad rather than pressing F4 button on keyboard :D

For OP. Don't hesitate to return it for Lion only. You are eligible to download one for free. Just go to Mac AppStore, and be thankful since you still have Snow Leopard comes standard. A very rare occasion that a Mac comes with 2 OSX version in one pack. So, return it for Lion is a unnecessary.

Remember newer iMac that comes with Lion, has no restore DVD on it, so nothing special comes on Mac with Lion, or the one that can get it for free !! Unless you really need that new F4 for launchpad (worse than TrackPad way to open it :D)

And as for me, having to download Lion from EFI is no less hassle than installing SL first. My connection can download Lion for 10 hours. So, for much less than that I could install SL, 6.8 update and then Lion (I backed it up already)

7. AbeFroman77 macrumors 6502

I ordered a 27" iMac i7 3.4GHz/4GB/SSD+1TB/2GB on 7/26 and will be delivered 7/30. Hope it comes with Lion and the updated kb.

8. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I'm forced to use the F4 key because I only have the Magic Mouse :(

Remember to just take a look at the box before opening. If it has the Lion wallpaper, then you're good to go :)

9. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Hmm okay .. you ordered iMac with the "new" keyboard? Because if not, we get F4 for dashboard, and I assigned Launchpad to F5 button (it's not refresh button :lol: .. so I set it up in case I really need the keyboard to do LaunchPad) ... no worries :D

10. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Yea, I have the new keyboard with F4 as launchpad.

How did you map launchpad to F5 on your keyboard? Is it as simple as going into the Keyboard preferences? I'm not sure if I remember trying to do that. I was trying to find a way to get Launchpad on my wife's older keyboard but couldn't figure out how.

11. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Yes it's on System Preferences\Keyboard .. choose "Keyboard Shortcut" .. pick LaunchPad and Dock from the list

You get "Show LaunchPad" on the list .. assign the shortcut button. Now since F5 has no alternate function, pressing only F5 button will result directly without having to hold Fn key first ... Nice, ain't it :D

12. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Oh lord, that's right. I remember doing that one time with Snow Leopard. What a brain freeze. Anyway, thanks :)

13. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

LOL
    What the hell was Apple thinking with that gesture? it literally takes me 5 tries to get it right. There doesn't appear to be a 3 or 4 finger swipe down ... why not use that? it's so much easier ...

On a side note, I prefer having a dashboard button on the keyboard. Launchpad can still be accessed via the trackpad, but dashboard cant ... the button is the next best thing for people who still use it like myself

14. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

Or you guys could just map it to a hot corner for, imo, the least awkward and fastest way to the launchpad.

Works extremely well for non-trackpad users.

15. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Mine freezes everytime I use Flash content after it wakes up. Its really great. Really.

It also shuts down if it has a USB hub plugged in when I put it to sleep. Lion and iMacs <3