I bought iPhone 4 on launch date, but not availible for Upgrade for the 4S? WTF?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SethRogen, Oct 4, 2011.

1. SethRogen macrumors 6502

WHY WON'T THEY TAKE MY MONEY LOL. :p

I just want to upgrade my phone. Do they not want us to upgrade our iPhone 4?

Is this an error?

2. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

me either. I am elegible 11/30 apparently it is based off the lines total cost the higher it is the faster you upgrade

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Oh, you can still upgrade your phone ... they just don't want to give you the discount to do it and lock in a new contract.

4. SethRogen thread starter macrumors 6502

5. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Your date is about 18 months into your contract. Seems right.

6. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

We're all in that boat. So the issue is that our phones (i4) is almost exactly like the 4S... So why do we care? It just means we won't have an issue next year when we basically know for a fact that the iPhone 5 will come out with a new design.

7. wstcstdrmr macrumors newbie

does anybody know the rules for ATT iphone upgrade? cause i have heard different things about it? i bought my iphone 4 one month after it came out and i can get a full discount on the 4s dec 29th. but i heard if you have an iphone already you can get a full discount even after a year?

8. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I bought my iPhone 4 on launch date, and i'm eligible now. My girlfriend bought hers on launch date, but she's not eligible until november 26. I have a slightly higher rate plan than she does, and i've bought international data packages a couple times. I'm wondering if that's the reason why. There must be some amount of revenue AT&T wants to see from every customer before they allow someone to upgrade, rather than a certain amount of TIME before allowing an upgrade.

She is thinking of switching to VZW to get it early. Anyone know how we can determine the amount of the pro-rated ETF?

9. OMGbrandon macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

10. fkhan3 macrumors 6502

Its not an error. I bought mine on launch day too and I'm not eligible until Feb 2012. AT&T determines upgrade dates based on your plan, you have to meet the minimum $$$ threshold on your billing cycle.

11. stevendphoto macrumors member

Welcome to Earth, where we all complain about the rules...!

I bought my 3GS phone and was unable to upgrade to a 4G phone when they came out.

I bought my 2G Phone and was unable to buy a 3G when they came out.

So if I upgrade to a 4GS, I will be unable to upgrade to a 5G when they come out in June 2013 (est)...

How do they do it on your home planet?

12. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Poor entitled little you...

Seriously, get over it. It's not worth it to the carrier to give you a subsidized upgrade very frequently.

13. Luddy macrumors member

While last year ATT allowed people who bought the 3GS to upgrade to the 4, I feel the main reason they did this was to get as many as possible into new contracts before the inevitable Verizon iPhone launch.

I guess they could do it again to try to keep people from sprint, but I am doubting it. Last year it was part of the announcement event.

Despite getting a 4 on launch I am not eligible till Feb. If it sticks with that I will just wait till the 5. I was intending to give my old 4 to my dad, to replace his aging 3g...else I would have just waited anyway.