I bought my grandmother an ipad, the problem is, I used it for a while first and it

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iPhoney:), Nov 22, 2010.

1. iPhoney:) macrumors member

seems to be tiered to my Apple ID, whenever I visit the App store it won't even give me the option to purchase something under a different Apple ID(the one I created for her). She is using it exclusively for games, she doesn't even have internet access and besides, she doesn't know my password so I'm not worried about her downloading anything under my apple ID, the problem is I am a moral man and I think it is wrong that all of the apps on this particular iPad I got for free because I purchased them on a different device, so if I give her this ipad, she'll get a ton of free games that I am more than willing to repurchase for her, trust me, I tried but apple insisted that I download them for free.

2. eckndu macrumors member

i think the setting is in the setting. i mean the ios's setting icon. there's one for itunes store
    i cant double check as its updating

3. sectime macrumors 6502a

Itunes account for her then sync to that account, as a new sync, erases then install. Quite the combination, a moral man and a grandmother who only plays video games:)

4. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

In the App store app, scroll to the bottom and click sign out. You can sign in with a different account.

5. BruiserB macrumors 65816

I'm not sure there's really anything wrong with giving the apps you have downloaded to your grandmother. Apple allows you to share apps within a household like that. Even though she doesn't technically live with you, it's still a relatively close sharing relationship....like if a kid went off to college with apps he bought at home with an account shared with family. Since she doesn't even have internet, it's not like she'll be loading up on apps under your account. You will probably have to do updates for her anyway.

It is cool to see someone with the morals to want to do the right thing, but I'm just not sure there's anything wrong with what you are doing. If you were hacking apps to then share on a torrent site, that'd be one thing. But giving grandma an iPad with some pre-loaded apps isn't something that I think Apple would have any problem with.

6. lidomkj macrumors regular

You can change it as it was posted. The only thing it will prevent by keeping it the same is letting her buy things without your password. If you give it to her, you will be paying for everything she gets.

We have 1 id for 2 iPads, 3 iPhones, 1 touch and 4 laptops. We only sync to the MacBook though. Everything 1 person buys is available for free to everyone else in the house. If Apple did not want anyone doing this, they would only allow one id and tie it to one device. They let you authorize 5 computers. I don't think there is anything morally wrong with this because you are not stealing and playing by the rules. But only you can define your ethics and morals. We spend the same amount of money, if not more on apps since we get full use of them. If we were limited to one device, probably would not spend the same amount of money on apps.

7. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I would let my grandmother download any thing she wanted and pay for it!:eek: