I broke my iPhone 4...some questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ghanwani, Aug 3, 2013.

1. ghanwani, Aug 3, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2013

ghanwani macrumors 6502a

This afternoon, just as I was putting some stuff in the trunk of my car, I dropped my iPhone 4 on the road and the front glass is a mess. I used to have a bumper but after it broke I didn't get a replacement because the new bumpers from Apple didn't fit quite right.

Googling around, it looks like Apple would charge $200 to replace the glass. Is that correct? If so, it doesn't look like it's going to be worth fixing it, since the phone is worth less than that -- probably around $150.

So I'm planning to go in and get an iPhone 5, even though I was planning to wait until the next one. I will probably go with white because of the scratching issue, but I'm also wondering, given this incident, if I should get a bumper. Previously, I used to think that I would go naked with the iPhone 5 or whatever follow-on, because it would be less susceptible to cracking due to a better design of the edges. But today's incident has me worried.

Do you guys see any other solution?

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The service price on an out of warranty iPhone 4 is $149 through Apple. You could get it done cheaper (3rd party) or even attempt to repair it yourself.

I would avoid getting the iPhone 5 now, seeing that a newer phone is right around the corner. It's not like your phone is totally gone, like submerged in water. Just a broken screen.

3. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

icracked.com has replacement screens DIY for about $70. thats where i get mine from.

4. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I think I'll take it with me to the Apple store and see what they say. I was just there this morning getting the battery of my MBP replaced.

5. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stopped by the store today. It is $149 and they exchange the entire device for a refurbished one. Tempting, especially since I had some problems with my home button. I forgot to ask if it would be unlocked since my current phone is unlocked as well.

But getting a new iPhone 5 is even more tempting. How is AT&T with respect to unlocking an in-contract phone? Are the rules for unlocking relaxed from what they were before? It used to be no unlocking of in-contract phones, period.

6. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

Nah, they're still strict.

You really should just wait for the 5S at this point. You could slap a screen protector on so you don't risk getting cut, or you could buy a new LCD+digitizer from eBay for <$30. Here's one for $29 that includes all the tools you need, and it's a US seller so you'll get it this week if you order now. Here's the white one if you have a white phone. I replaced the screen on my 4S and it wasn't very hard. Work in a well lit area with a large workspace and you should print out the Screwmat so you remember which screws go where. Here's the GSM one.

If you don't want to replace the screen then you should just buy a screen protector and live with it until the 5S is out. It'll only be a few months.

7. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

Right now I've just put the phone in a zip-lock bag. I'm doing all the calling with my land line.

In that case, I might be better off getting the refurb'ed phone. I would be able to recover most, if not all, of that cost when I sell it in a few months, right?

8. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

Yeah you could also go that way, but the resale value will drop even more once the 5S is announced and you'd have to cough up the extra $200 for the 5S.

9. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just wonder if the 5S is really around the corner with all the news reports talking about production delays. Also, when it does come out, I'm probably not the type to jump on it right away...I would want to see reviews. So even if the phone were released in September, I probably wouldn't buy till Nov.

But I don't know if the new one will be released. There might just be a 5C for now and the 5S or 6 could be later. The 5 is still quite competitive and it still seems to be selling quite well.

10. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

See if you can exchange it for a 4S or 5 and pay the difference.

11. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

I went with paying $149+tax for getting a replacement from Apple. The store people said the case is all new, but some of the internals may be reused. I figured it's worth it to have a fully working device with a new battery and a fully working home button (I previously had some issues with the home button).

Now I can patiently wait for the next iPhone.

I'm hoping my unlocked status carries over. They said it would, but I still need to verify it. It looks like the only way to do that is to go to imei.info?

12. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

Last night I left the phone to charge. This morning, I disconnected from the charger and the phone went off. I was unable tot turn it back on. Finally connected it back to the charger and it rebooted. Then disconnected and the same thing happened. Did that a couple more times when finally it worked. Then the wireless went off and I couldn't turn it back on.

I made a Genius Bar appt and took it to the Apple store. They replaced the phone.

Weird. In the last couple of months I have had 5 visits to the Apple store:
    - Frayed charger for macbook replaced under Applecare.
    - Battery for macbook replaced under Applecare.
    - Superdrive for macbook replaced under Applecare.
    - Broken iPhone replaced with refurb'ed unit (my responsibility).
    - Above malfunctioning iPhone replaced under warranty.

I'm sure glad I got the warranty for the macbook.

----------

The program for replacing a broken device is only a like-for-like exchange. They would not even give a different color.