I broke off an audio amp (U6620 IC) on my Logic Board what does it do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lausanne, May 25, 2014.

1. Lausanne, May 25, 2014
    Last edited: May 25, 2014

Lausanne macrumors newbie

As the title, I opened up my computer to clean it from dust and I saw this small glue "ball" on the logic board and thought it was some spilled glue or something so I decided to see what it was and I tried picking it up but broke it off instead, the "glue" was actually the U6620 IC.

Here is a link to the IC: http://www.newark.com/analog-device...-amp-d-3w-wlcsp-9/dp/19T7839?CMP=AFC-SF-X-T11

And here is a link to the data sheet: http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1793798.pdf

I've read the sheet but don't seem to understand any of it..

Arrow showing what part I mean:
    [​IMG]

Audio still works, but I'm wondering if this is bad for the audio, is the quality of the audio worse without the IC? Also, does this affect the 3.5mm headphone jack or are the speakers and the 3.5mm audio jack separate?

I don't have any warranty left but would this be possible repairing?

Thanks in advance :)

2. kelon111, May 25, 2014

kelon111 macrumors 6502

3. Lausanne thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

Why not plug some in and find out for sure? Or is it still stripped down?

Barney

5. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

Take it to someone who specializes in smc repair. Trying to fix this yourself is only going to make it worse.

This is a good lesson for others. Also, if you want to tinker with this sort of thing, why not buy an already broken or older unit to learn and become more comfortable before breaking a more important one?

6. Lausanne, May 25, 2014

Lausanne thread starter macrumors newbie

The headphone jack does work but I was just wondering if it affects something I can't hear :)

Yep, won't do this by myself obviously. I didn't mean to rip it off, thought it was spilled glue, didn't think at the time and should have looked on pictures of others macs to see if the glue was supposed to be there.