I burn a lot of DVDs. Thoughts on the Samsung DVD drive? Should I try another?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by oxband, May 28, 2014.

1. oxband macrumors 6502

I burn a lot of DVDs and CDs of the stuff I make. I just bought a new MBP and need a DVD device.

I was thinking of this Samsung device. Thoughts? Is there another drive people would recommend instead? If I do a lot of burning, should I not be looking at a USB powered drive?

2. oldhifi macrumors 65816

oldhifi

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I have a Samsung blue-ray drive and it works great. Backwards compatible with DVD's as well.

One of my good recent buys.

4. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

I look at CD/DVD drives as "commodities." There is very little difference. Buy whichever looks good to you, maybe even a Blu-ray. Don't spend "extra" for any brand name.

5. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I rarely burn disks, but am in the process of ripping my large DVD collection. Have been using my old 2008 MBP but just got an external drive for my 2013 MBA to take advantage of the much greater speed.

Just got this LG drive at Best Buy for about $60. Would not be a good choice if you want to carry it around, but it's built like a tank, has tray loading and 24x speed instead of 8x like the Apple external or the drive in your link. Best Buy also has an older version of the same drive that's a little cheaper.

http://www.lg.com/us/data-storage/lg-GE24NU40