I can not wait to upgrade from my iPhone 4.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gc15, Mar 13, 2013.

1. gc15 macrumors regular

Not only have I had it 2 years, it's really starting to show its age, for example my lock button does not work anymore. Also it has been lagging a lot more lately with newer apps being released and crashing a lot more with older apps. Are other people having their iPhone 4's act slower, just wondering?

Anywho I can upgrade now since my contract is up, but I think I'm going wait to see what the next version has to offer. Plus I wanna keep my unlimited data so I won't be signing a new contract. If the next version is not much of an improvement, I'm hoping I can snag someone's Verizon iPhone 5 for a decent price. What would you guys do in my shoes?

2. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

I also cannot wait.

I've always found the 4 to be slow. Maybe a bit more now since its been 1.5 years since I've done a restore. OTOH I'm actually surprised by how well it's held up.

3. Knockworstface macrumors regular

Knockworstface

My iPhone 4 runs great, gives me zero problems and never crashes. Are you updated to the latest firmware? And do you clear your history, cookies and cache? I also power mine off when I go to bed. I dunno. I've had it for almost 2 years now and it's served me well and it's my best friend. :apple::D

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Shouldn't had kept updating to the latest&greatest&PowerHungry stuff.

5. Knockworstface macrumors regular

Knockworstface

I'm on iOS 6.1.2 and my iPhone 4 runs great. No complaints. Up until 2 months ago I was on 4.3.3 and the thing ran a lot slower before I finally updated to iOS 6.

6. sk24iam macrumors regular

I personally prefer to have the newest that is available when my upgrade comes around so I would go with the 5s. Actually I probably would just upgrade to the 5 now. But if you waited a few months, I would upgrade to the 5s, that way when it comes time for the upgrade after that, you are left with a phone to sell that is more valuable (5s).

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The iPhone 4 isn't that bad. I know a lot of people who still use it without any complaints. It's quite nice, actually, that it's decently functionable. Of course, it really can't beat a 5 or even 4S though.

8. irDigital0l Guest

I'd say the iPhone 4 is still the most popular phone used (maybe with some 4S included). Then it would be the Galaxy S3 and then the iPhone 5.

Seeing more GS3 and iPhone 5 recently, probably because 2 year contracts are over for most people.

9. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

My iPhone 4 is still going fine. Had to have the back replaced a couple of weeks ago but apart from the occasional crash it has been working well.

I tried the iPhone 5 for a couple of weeks but, for a few reasons, decided to hand it back before the two week period was up.

The key reason for holding onto the iPhone 4 was the 5's lack of support for 4G on the UK O2 network. I'm expecting the 5S will have that support. To be honest though, I didn't see any real benefit in the upgrade at that point. Nowhere near the change from 3G to 4 - though that was partly because iOS 4 slowed the old phone down to a painful speed.

10. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

My iPhone 4 is getting laggy when using some apps; Facebook and WWF, for example, both have moments where they seem to "lock up" when pulling updates which can take quite a few seconds. My wife's 4S is definitely snappier. It's still a great phone and a big improvement in terms of one-handed useability from my Nexus 4 but yeah, I'm excited for the 5S release just in time for my upgrade.

11. TWD98j macrumors regular

Slightly OT, but I am itching to upgrade from my 4S.

I've had this thing since launch day in Oct 2011 and I'm personally ready for something faster and with a bigger screen. Trying to watch movies on HBO/MAX GO apps or on TruTV app makes for cramped quarters on 3.5".

Also, while the AT&T "4G" is OK in my area ( ~ 5 mpbs down, 1.5 mbps up), if I had LTE those speeds would quadruple easily.

Also the 4S is beginning to show its technological age. Even though it packs a still-relevant A5 chip, it only has 512mb of RAM - same as the 4 - and that can impact multitasking and efficiency, with respect to the fact that it has to reload safari pages that I've saved quite frequently.

I did not get the 5, as I am not eligible to upgrade until May. And by then, it would be (for me) pointless to jump on a 5, because the next generation iPhone (5S?) will probably be right around the corner....

12. BoostDeuce macrumors member

I'm waiting to see what the Galaxy S4 has to offer. My wife has a S3 but the screen being too big is whats holding me back.

I may pick up a iphone 5 this weekend. If i get a 5 now, i'll be eligible for upgrade by the time the 6 is out if i want one then. The 5s won't have drastic improvements, but the 6 will be a different phone. Look at the 3g to the 3gs, not big improvement, but the 3gs to the 4 was a huge change. The 4 to the 4s just added siri, but the 5 added a bigger screen and a nicer, lighter case.

13. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Clearly you can wait because if you couldn't then you would've already upgraded