I can rename the filename and itunes still knows where the song is

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bigDeeOT, Jun 9, 2008.

1. bigDeeOT macrumors newbie

Ok so on my ibook g4 I can rename the filename of an mp3 and itunes can still play the song. When I did this for a song on my external it didn't do this. Or it probably did for a little while but then it later said it couldn't find the song.

Why is that?

2. darkpaw macrumors 6502

darkpaw

iTunes keeps a track of the files in its library via the file's (hidden) unique id on the disk. Renaming a file does not change its unique id.

As long as a file is on the same disk as it thinks it is in the library, iTunes can find it. If you move it to an external drive, it gets a different unique id as it's a different file now.

If you moved the file to the external drive, iTunes wouldn't find it. If this was a different file on an external drive, as long as it's in the library iTunes won't care whether the type of drive is internal or external.

3. ICEBreaker macrumors 6502

Thanks guys. Now I know why I am having so much trouble, since I keep my media on a file server. Darn. If I do everything as Apple intended, life is actually very easy. But you know, I am a multi-OS guy and this kind of makes life more difficult.

4. bigDeeOT thread starter macrumors newbie

I added the song to the library after it was moved to the external. After I renamed the file name, it later said that it couldn't locate the file.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yes, if iTunes is open, you can change file names and iTunes will keep the reference.

If iTunes is not running when you rename songs, the song might become disconnected.

Test it. Btw, you should not be changing file names. Just change the metadata within iTunes so it's more searchable.

6. pjizz macrumors newbie

Hi,

not sure if this is the right place but here goes...

i'm not a mac person but i am a music person, so when i was listening to my gf's iTunes I noticed that she had the name of one of my favorite bands spelled wrong. I did what any one used to using a normal (sorry fans) media player would do, and changed the artist name from "Delorean" to "Dolorean"

a simple change, right???

apparently iTunes didn't think so, and now it says that the computer is not authorized to play those tracks. I can do the easy thing and delete, rerip from cd, and no one would no the difference. but does anyone know a simple way to smack this shoddy program in the face and say "hey, this was legitimately purchased so friggin play it"

fyi...not sure if she originally ripped from CD or purchased through the iTunes store, dunno if that matters.

any help appreciated!