I can upgrade my phone in ten days. Should I wait for the new iPhone?

jordanb505

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2012
Florida, USA
I really enjoy using iOS and Apple products, and though I've owned iPods for years and two of the 3 iPads, I've never had an iPhone.

Because most of you use iPhones and know better than me, my question is - should I wait for the new iPhone? Do you think it will be worth it, based on what is known so far? I have my eye on the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 but I don't want to commit to that until I had some second opinions, if you could help me out.

I know they say good things will come if you wait, and I'm just interesting in seeing what some of you have to say. Thanks so much :)

BuckeyeMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2012
I've been waiting to upgrade my 3GS since March...it's so hard to not go out and get a 4s or try out the Galaxy Note.

The iPhone 5 will be the deciding factor...just wish it would hurry up!

Wait it out :)

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
Yes wait.

Best case scenario, the new iPhone ends up being awesome, and you've made a good purchase.

Worst case scenario, you end up buying a Galaxy S3 about a month later than you could have.

iPusch

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
Manhattan, New York
I am waiting for the next gen iPhone since the iPhone 4 has been announced, so far I am really unhappy with my iPhone 3G :eek: I am going crazy with it

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
Nothing to lose if you wait it out a bit longer. World is not going to end and then you can decide which phone to get. Doing so now, and getting this or that other cell phone, then the iphone 5 comes out that you learn is even better, than you will be kicking yourself in the hind end for not waiting.

Its called common sense ;)

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
six weeks...or approximately 45 days till the reveal (based on rumors).

I'd wait.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
If the rumored dates are correct you only need to wait 3 weeks.
Buy the 4S after 8/21 and you'll be able to exchange it or return it for the new IPhone when it's released on 9/21.
Or if you like it, keep it and they should credit you the price difference when the price drops on the 4S.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
For God sakes. Make decision on your own!! Must there be one of these thtReads for every f'n release. Some of you are so simple it's no wonder the world is in the shape it's in.

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
I really enjoy using iOS and Apple products, and though I've owned iPods for years and two of the 3 iPads, I've never had an iPhone.

Because most of you use iPhones and know better than me, my question is - should I wait for the new iPhone? Do you think it will be worth it, based on what is known so far? I have my eye on the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 but I don't want to commit to that until I had some second opinions, if you could help me out.

I know they say good things will come if you wait, and I'm just interesting in seeing what some of you have to say. Thanks so much :)

You should totally spend an amount of money for a year old phone when in 5 weeks that same amount will buy a new one.

Coldsnow

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2012
The S III and iPhone 5 are two different phones. You are asking an Apple fan-base forum, what do you think people are going to say? Get what you want, just make sure you'll be happy in the end. ;)

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
For God sakes. Make decision on your own!! Must there be one of these thtReads for every f'n release. Some of you are so simple it's no wonder the world is in the shape it's in.
Sort of agree.

Grow up.

Why do people think they have to UPGRADE the day they become eligibile. If your current phone works, think about keeping it?

Think about other options available today.
Think about other options that might come in the very near future.
Think about the new iphone. If you do not like it, the price for the 4 and 4s will probably be cheaper in a month or so.

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
The next iPhone is expected to be announced in September, its definitely worth waiting.

AFDoc

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Holy smokes someone that wrote what I think!! I have already been warned for "trolling" because I wrote something the mods didn't like so was a bit gun shy about responding to these sort of threads in such a way.

I don't understand why people here need so much advice about life choices they should be able to make on their own. Only the person asking the question knows their own finances, wants, needs, ability to pay for x item/plan/warranty ect ect so no random person on a forum can answer the questions asked.

Last edited:

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
If one waited for what's new out around the corner, then one wouldn't end up making a purchase at all !

With not knowing what the new iPhone will look like aesthetically, and what will defiantly be under its hood I can only comment that the iPhone 4 and 4s ticks my boxes.

If you wait and don't end up being taken by the next iPhone you can always fall back on the 4s or indeed another manufacturers cellphone.